New to contacts, eyewear suggestions?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New to contacts, eyewear suggestions?

It finally got to the point where I couldn't read trail signs without my glasses, so I got a set of prescription riding glasses. For reasons that are too hard to get into here, I also started wearing a contact in just one eye.

Here's the problem: at speeds greater than 10 mph or so, the eye with the contact starts to water pretty bad. Bad enough that earlier this week when I got back to the car, I found my contact on my lower eyelid. Now, normally keeping it under 10 mph isn't a problem for my old, fat ass, but every once in a while I have to ride into a head wind...

Is this something you just get used to? My riding glasses have little side pieces that might reduce airflow, but then what about fogging? I thought about OTG goggles, but really would prefer not being THAT guy. Suggestions/thoughts?

mtbr member
    Strange, my eyes never tear up with contacts in, even at 50km/h. I have a pair of cycling non prescription glasses with clear lenses that I wear when it's sloppy out. Something like that will help.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    I would talk to your eye doc- get some different contact samples to try. I just changed brands and the difference is incredible- much greater comfort.
    Crashing mountain bikes since 1990.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I wear riding glasses to keep the wind and stuff out of my eyes. When I first started wearing contacts my eyes would water at the slightest things.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    +1 on everything that's been suggested so far! My eyes are actually less susceptible to watering in the wind when I have my lenses in now, but when I first started wearing them years ago it took a while for my body to adapt to the new eye augmentations.

Ivan

mtbr member
    I wear riding sunglasses, At night I try to wear my riding glasses with clear lens in them but most the time I do not. I don't have problems with watering at speeds and I reach around 25-30mph on some of the trails during the night.
    The dirt and bugs on the other hand

as said. I'd go try a few different contacts out.
    I use 2 week ones. Switch out every 2 weeks.
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I use one-month lenses, but I'm stupid and stingy so I generally run them until they become damaged or contaminated.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I wear normal Oakley 4squared sunglasses during the way, never issues unless it's a high wind day. On my road bike, I need a better fitting set that block more air when riding long fast downhill sections. At night, I wear a $8 set of walmart safety glasses in either yellow or clear.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Been riding years with contacts, and getting a good sunglass fit was a struggle to keep wind and dust down, without goggles. If the frames fit, lens could be too dark in shade. Last year went to Oakley M2 frame with the Prizm trail lens. SUPERB wind dust fit and the off road lens increases contrast for dirt/rocks and works great in shade or sun. Worth every penny. Interchangeable with dark lens for super bright conditions.

Oakley M2 PRIZM Replacement Lenses in PRIZM ROAD | Oakley

mtbr member
    Try different glasses. They all make the air flow around your eyes in different ways, depending on the shape of them. You'll find ones that work.

I wouldn't however buy expensive ones, I've never seen the point. I've used cheap sunglasses and right now I'm using UVEX safety glasses. These are available in different styles and tints and cost very little so no great loss if you don't like them. They also do not distort your vision, something not all cycling classes can claim.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by craZivn View Post
    I use one-month lenses, but I'm stupid and stingy so I generally run them until they become damaged or contaminated.
    ^^^Life's too short to mess with that crap...soooo bad for your eyes and crazy uncomfortable to boot.

OP - try different lenses, specifically the daily wear disposables. My eyes always watered and I had issues with my lens (I only wear one as well) staying in place. This went on for years, even under ski goggles, UNTIL I switched to the daily wear lenses. They're much, much thinner and stick your eye better, plus they breathe better.
    I would advise not taking my advice.