New Clipless and shoes, what do ya think?- Mtbr.com
    kso
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

New Clipless and shoes, what do ya think?

hey guys im deciding to go to clipless. i was going to go for sette epic shoes from pricepoint and also looking at eggbeaters. ive heard great things about eggbeaters but also have heard of breaking and accidental unclipping. I would like to know which egg beater would be better.Since i am on a very tight budget i am looking at the chromoly and not anything above SL. i plan on using these pedals for xc/all mountain and messing around in the neighborhood (wheelies, bunny hops, endo's etc) thanks for your opinions!

responsible zombie owner
    When I switched to clipless I went with Mallet Cs and Sette Element shoes. they work well together (I use one shim under the shoes and leave off the metal toe studs) and the big mallet platform is a good back-up plan when you don't want to be clipped in... I'm now thinking of getting the eggbeaters but I'm glad I started with Mallets.

kso
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

nice..

thanks for telling me. and how do the shims work? what kind of egg beaters are you looking at? you think the chromo's are durable for "jumps"

Some guy
    Jul 2007
    I went Specialized MTB Sport shoes with some Shimano M520s. Can't go wrong with that setup. Cheap but effective.

Jun 2008
    I like the idea of something with a bit of a platform i.e mallet's or the acid's. Would like to be able to cruise down to the store without having to put my cleats on.

mtbr member

Are you sure you want to go clipless?

Quote Originally Posted by kso
    messing around in the neighborhood (wheelies, bunny hops, endo's etc) thanks for your opinions!
    Eggbeaters are XC pedals. They are not meant to be used for 'messing around'. The float could be a problem. You lose this 100%' feet stay in place feeling' that platform (or really tight sitting platform based) pedals provide.

Also: Learning advanced riding techniques on clipless is dangerous. You'll not be able to discard the bike when things go wrong and crash more often and more serious. Of course disregard this paragraph if you have wheelies, bunny hops, endos etc already dialed in.
    "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit." - And I agree.

kso
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    would shimano 520's be able to withstand "messing around"? Do the acids, candy's or mallet need different shoes then since it seems the platform may be in the way of the soles. i just want to know what pedal is durable, cheap and effective.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    No, the Crank Bros pedals work with the same shoes as SPD...

responsible zombie owner
    thanks for telling me. and how do the shims work? what kind of egg beaters are you looking at? you think the chromo's are durable for "jumps"
    Crank Bros include plastic shims with their pedals along with the metal cleats. Putting a shim between the shoe sole and the cleat gives the cleat more clearance so the tread doesn't interfere with the platform.

I'm looking at these eggbeaters, but I do commute in normal shoes on one of my bikes and when I use the other I like to have some sort of platform for when I hit soft sand, so whether I would ever really use eggbeater-only designs.... I'm not sure. Still i could always use the extra cleats, and put these pedals on for my annual race!

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/149...r-C-Pedals.htm

Avoid the MXRs, they get bad reviews and apparently are not made to the same standard as other CB eggbeater pedals.

kso
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    i also heard bad reviews about the C's and Mxr's. Im now leaning toward the Shimano m520's. do you guys know if they are durable and able to withstand bunnyhops and everything?

Drunk Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by emery14
    I like the idea of something with a bit of a platform i.e mallet's or the acid's. Would like to be able to cruise down to the store without having to put my cleats on.
    I do my 2 mile commute to work wearing normal skate shoes while having M540 Pedals (SPD) w/o any problems. While it isn't the most efficient (using non bike shoes with clipless pedals) it works for errands and other around town short rides. Don't worry about not having a platform, you'll be fine.
    =)

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    For your first clipless pedals I would recommend ones with a tension adjustment like the Shimano 520s or 540s. You can set them up for an easier release until you get used to riding clipless.

Smokey

Some guy
    Jul 2007
    i also heard bad reviews about the C's and Mxr's. Im now leaning toward the Shimano m520's. do you guys know if they are durable and able to withstand bunnyhops and everything?
    I have 520s on both my road and mountain bikes and I think you can't beat them for a first clipless pedal. For me there was really no adjustment period - maybe 1 ride but that was about it. They pretty much never release accidentally but always seem to come off easy when I need them to. I think they're quite durable - not sure what could really go wrong with them. Besides, for the price they're almost disposable!

kso
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Hey guys thanks for all your input. N-E-ways i got the shimano m121 shoes for 60 bucks and i also got the shimano m520's for 40. so not bad for 100 bucks and ill be expecting them to come in a few days.

Oct 2007
    i hate hate hate hate crank bros pedals. hate them. they're awful, id rather ride platforms. id rather ride my bike with no seat on the post than ride crankbros :P

crankbros pedals made me swear off clipless for a long time. shimanos brought me back, i really like the 520's. they actually unclip when you want them to.

good choice you'll enjoy them.. are you sure those shoes fit though? i had to try on at least 5 different shoes before i found one that fit.

kso
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    yup im sure they fit i tried them at a local bike store. so i am pretty positive.

mtbr member
    I went with shimano SPDs ($55 a set) and shimano shoes (REI outlet .com). GOt a complete setup for $105 to my door.

Members who have read this thread: 0