New Clipless! First ride! Helmets?- Mtbr.com

May 2009

New Clipless! First ride! Helmets?

Ok, so I posted last week about the GF Marlin Disk I stole for $300 bucks and have been riding the dog out of it. I love it! So after looking at some upgrades I see that one of the most effective upgrades is clipless pedals correct? Looking on craig's list, I found a pair of BRAND NEW Northwave MTB shoes and Shimano M520 pedals. I talked the guy down to $70 for all. Was that a good deal? The shoes are my size exactly!

So I installed the new pedals with a 15mm box end wrench, messed up my knuckles on high gear, (Always shift into the highest gear before changing pedals, chain covers the teeth.), and hit the trail.

Long story short I love it. Its a whole new world! I fell once but only because I got too slow at the top of a climb. Now its time to get a helmet.

Any tips on riding clipless? What about helmets? I look at the LBS and like the Giro Animas. Best bang for the buck? I am trying to keep it around $50.

Man thats a lot, but you guys have been awesome! I love this stuff!

Thanks,
    Jason

Hoosier
    You'll get used to riding clipless, it just takes time. As far as a helmet, make sure you try it on first and pick one that fits well. More money will get you better ventilation and less weight.
    SS is like beer...its an acquired taste.

Personally, I would never ride clipless without a helmet. I took many spills learning on my eggbeaters where I almost hit my head on the ground. My advice to you: screw any more upgrades until you get a good lid. You can replace parts...your brain is a little different.

May 2009
    I agree. Great point! I think I am going to buy the Giro Animas. I tried it on and liked it quite a bit. That's next for sure.

We have another problem. That "great deal" I got on those shoes/pedals might not be as great as I thought. I rode again tonight and the soles of both shoes separated from the walls starting at the back and going forward about 2 inches! They are almost the exact same. What can I do about this? JB weld them back together? They were brand new yesterday, but I realized they have been sitting in the box since 2002!

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Jason

Wow. I'm not sure you have any recourse seeing as you bought the shoes/pedals on craigslist. I hate to tell you this but .... time to open the wallet again. I'd go to your LBS and get some shoes there so if the same thing happens (it probably won't) you can take them back. Besides, you'll be there buying a helmet anyways.

It sounds like you're having a great time riding. Good for you.

mtbr member
    Welcome to mtnbiking! You might try contacting Northwave and tell them what has happened, you might get lucky.
    I agree with Kneescar and NEVER ride with out a "Brainbucket"!!!!! Not tooo smart IMHO.
    I raced motorcycles for 11 years and yes always wore a Bell Star full coverage and still was knocked unconcious, twice. NOT fun.
    Been on my head (with a brainbucket) on my mtnbike also, but not unconcious, thank goodness! Get a helmet that fits you well/comfy not uncomfy. Remember you will be wearing it for hours, not minutes. I suggest light colors if you live where it's hot, like here in the desert.

Good luck with your shoe issues.
    Training on Hills Builds Character, That's How I Got To Be One!

local trails rider
    +1
    Just get a helmet that fits: feels comfortable, stays in place.

I also like to wear gloves to protect my hands, and my prescription glasses should keep the vegetation away from my eyes.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I'd just glue the shoes and keep riding with them until they're dead.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

May 2009
    So I got some JB Weld and cut some wood to fit along the inside of the shoe, then clamped them to hold in place while curing. I think that should do it. I rode again yesterday without fixing them and they did not get any worse so I think there is less force back there than I thought.

I am still looking for a helmet I dont have very much money for one. Any budget suggestions?

Thanks,
    Jason

local trails rider
    Any helmet that is for sale in a shop must conform to safety standards. If at all possible, go to a shop and try a few helmets. If you are lucky (have a standard head ), you'll soon find a helmet that fits you and does not cost a fortune. It has not always been that easy for me...

Members who have read this thread: 0