New cleats to go with new shoes?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

New cleats to go with new shoes?

I just upgraded to a new pair of shimano 182s and was wondering if I should consider getting a new set of cleats to go along with the new shoes, or just throw on the old cleats and rock & roll? Whats the standard procedure?

Ride Instigator

Yes!

You didn't mention what pedals you're using but your question hit home.

I'm using Time ATAC aluminums and neglected changing out my cleats for too long. What ended up happening was that I was riding with my (right foot) slid outward on the pedal and tilted downward and developed a corn on the outside of my little toe as a result...and it effing hurts!

Just thought I'd mention, this is the first time I've ever had a corn and wouldn't wish it on anyone...especially someone who rides. When in doubt, change those cleats out. It isn't worth saving 25 bucks and ending up having foot problems .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coppertopperwhopperhopper
    I just upgraded to a new pair of shimano 182s and was wondering if I should consider getting a new set of cleats to go along with the new shoes, or just throw on the old cleats and rock & roll? Whats the standard procedure?
    are your current cleats in need of replacement?

bi-winning
    When I got new shoes, I got new cleats to install. I still use my old shoes, and now I have two pair that are ready to go.

If you have been using your old cleats for a while, new ones will probably feel smoother. If you "old" cleats have not been used all that much, you don't "need" to buy new ones.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    No need to replace unless they need to be. Save your money.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    When I got new shoes, I got new cleats to install. I still use my old shoes, and now I have two pair that are ready to go.

If you have been using your old cleats for a while, new ones will probably feel smoother. If you "old" cleats have not been used all that much, you don't "need" to buy new ones.
    They aren't too worn and haven't started slipping so I won't worry about it for now. It would be nice to have my old pair for sloppy days...

They are the shimano sh51s. I was mainly concerned with the hardware, since when i bought the spds almost 2 years ago I went with the economical (cheap) set of shimanos. Do they make different quality cleats with better screws and back plates?

Members who have read this thread: 0