• 04-29-2004
    Dr.Faustus
    New Avid pads don't fit Rim Wrangler shoes
    Hey all,

I just bought 2 pair of new Avid Rim Wrangler brake shoes w/ cartridge pads to replace the original pads on posts that came with my Single Digit 5's. Last night I tried to replace the included black compound pads w/ new Avid green, ceramic compound pads. "Tried" is the operative word.

The Avid green compound pads are simply too FAT to slide into the cartridges. First, I tried to push them REALLY HARD. Not much luck, maybe 1/4 of the way in. Next, I tried a little baby powder, which helped a little, 1/3 of the way in. Next I tried sanding the back side of the pad (the part that SHOULD slide into the cartridge). That helped a little more, 1/2 way in. After an hour + of fighting with them I swapped back to the black compound pads, which slid neatly back into their cartridges, and installed and adjusted my new brake shoes and pads. So, at least I have brakes, but I really want the snazzy green pads to go with my snazzy ceramic rims.

The questions are:
    1) Do I just have two sets of fat, out-of-spec, green, ceramic pads?
    2) Or is this common that Avid pads don't want to fit nicely into Avid brake shoes?
    3) Is there a better trick to getting the new pads into the cartridges, or do I keep sanding?

P.S. I did email this to Avid's tech email address, but I always like a second opinion

Thanks,
    Dr.F
  • 04-29-2004
    Speedub.Nate
    Just out of curiousity, are we talking Rim Wrangler, or Rim Wrangler 2?

The original Rim Wrangler used straight pads while the RW2 uses curved pads. Any chance you're mixing versions?
  • 04-29-2004
    Dr.Faustus
    Speedy Response from Avid!
    Their tech dude is fast!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    There are two types of Avid cartridge pads, the older RW and the new RW2. One will not fit the other.

The RW cartridge requires RW or RW compatible pads only. Straight footprint.

The RW2 uses the universal footprint. This cartridge will accept any pad using the standard footprint, including many brands and Avid RW2 pads. Curved footprint.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll have to look at the packaging again, but I think it's RWII cartridges and RW pads.

Phooey,
    Dr.F
  • 04-29-2004
    Speedub.Nate
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Faustus
    Their tech dude is fast!

Ha! I'm faster (barely)! :D