Need sunglasses tint suggestions- Mtbr.com
    DFL

Need sunglasses tint suggestions

I need a new pair of sunglasses for riding in the woods. I have a set of Under Armour glasses that I wear when I'm out on my road bike, but they are too dark to use in the woods. What is a good tint to use? The woods I ride are fairly dense but there is sunlight that gets through. How do photochromatic lenses work? Do they change fast enough to make them effective? My LBS sells Tifossi glasses, are they decent quality?
    I wouldn't **** you, you're my favorite turd.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I've been using Oakley photochromic lenses for a couple of years. I have the clear lenses and use the same lenses all the time for both Road and Mountain bike. If you have been riding in direct sun for a while and enter a trail with tree cover you just learn to be ready to pay a little extra attention while your eyes AND glasses adjust. To me it feels like it fully adjusts in about 25 seconds but it's probably a combination of both your eyes and glasses that make it feel that fast. In direct sun the clear lenses get as dark as normal sunglasses. If I lost mine I would immediately get new ones.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Photochromic lenses take too long to change to work well in dappled on off shade and sunny conditions. Something with about a 30% light transmission is good for where I ride.

> /dev/null 2&>1
    I had a serious crash last summer, wearing dark lenses, where I was coming out of light into dark, did not see a baby-head boulder sitting in the trail, hit it obliquely and broke my collarbone. I agree with someoldfart, photochromic lenses won't protect you from this problem because they take too long to lighten up.

So, now I use tifosi Red with sun overhead (40% transmission) or a yellow lens (~70% transmission) in the morning or late afternoon and just squint when its bright. You could also look at the Tifosi gradient lenses (darker on top, lighter on bottom) or the extreme contrast lens.

mtbr member
    I have been using a pair of Tifosi, that go from a very low tint, almost clear, to a medium tint. I always wear them on the mtb.... night or day. Good optical quality. Very comfortable and adjustable. Love mine. One of the best pieces of gear I've got. They even work fine for me, out in the open sun, when it happens. I never really notice the tint changing, or wishing it was faster. Just don't notice it.

AOK
    mtbr member
    Tifosi have worked well for me. I like the "light night" and "backcountry orange" fototec lenses for woods riding.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I ride Oakleys with the dark grey tint which works pretty good in most conditions and doesn't have much color distortion which is nice in the woods. As mentioned above light transmission is about 30%. Not polarized and no mirror coating to scratch like some of their other lenses.

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    Photochromatic is not effective in rapidly-changing light conditions. Get either grey, brown or rose tint, in the woods. Yellow is for overcast days.
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

DFL
    Thanks for the input guys, I ended up ordering a set of Oakley Flak Jackets with VR28 lenses. I'll also end up ordering a set of clear lenses for overcast days.
    I wouldn't **** you, you're my favorite turd.

9 lives
    Good choices on lens colours

My only issue with Oakley is the lens (no matter the type of eyewear) scratch easily. I end up replacing the lenses.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Get a brownish polarized lens, it will reduce glare and make the colors more vivid allowing you to see the trail better and without reducing your visibility like a black lens will

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by askibum02 View Post
    Thanks for the input guys, I ended up ordering a set of Oakley Flak Jackets with VR28 lenses. I'll also end up ordering a set of clear lenses for overcast days.
    VR28 is my go to lens for average riding conditions. Incredibly versatile with good color contrast.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gsa103 View Post
    VR28 is my go to lens for average riding conditions. Incredibly versatile with good color contrast.
    Just ordered the flak jacket Vr28 polarized lenses for my half jacket 2.0
    2014 YETI SB95C , KS LEV seat post,Nextie Carbon Wheelset/Hope Hubs/27lbs
    Framed Alaskan Carbon X1 /26lbs/Nextie Hoops.