Need shoes and pedals- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Need shoes and pedals

I am looking for get some shoes and pedals. I normally just wore flats but now I would like to switch to clip less.

I am not sure which pedal I am going to go with. I was thinking either going with the egg beater or the SHIMANO PD M970 XTR. Does anyone have any opinions on what to go with.

Also I am looking for the right shoe to go with the pedal. Can someone give me some ideas as far as shoes to go with as well.

thanks

mtbr member
    If you never ridden clipless you may want to get some pedals with some platform to start out to get use to using them. That is just me personally. I have a set of Forte Carve right now which I am fairly proficient in clipless but recently going to make the switch to Crank Brothers Candy Acid 2's. I also wear the Shimano MT50 mtb shoe that gives good ankle support.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I personally love the eggbeaters on my AM bike and the mallets on my DH bike. They feel great and are super easy get in and out of. They also shed mud very well. As far as shimano pedals go I'm not a fan. Granted I have only used the m520's (low end) but I like the simplicity of the eggbeaters over the shimanos. I still haven't found a shoe that I really like so I don't really have an opinion on that front. Hope that helps!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I have the shimano xtr's with multi release cleats and the sidi dominator 5 shoes which have worked well for me. I was about to give up on the clipless thing till I went to the multi release cleats.

mtbr member
    i am using the shimano m647,it has a bit of platform and its an SPD!Plus use a multi release cleats and you will be set.my shoes are a pair of shimano m180.one thng nice about shimano pedals is that it has tension settings,you can set it at the lowest tension setting and tightening it as you et used to it

meow meow
    i like eggbeaters and shimano shoes. it takes maybe an extra day to get the hang of eb's but imo so worth it, such a positive feel.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    specialized shoes and shimano spd clipless . thinking of going to the crank brothers mallets.

mtbr member
    Wait a week or two and get the new Candy.

don't thread on me
    I happen to have a set of Shimano M647 pedals and a pair of Shimano SH-MT41G shoes (size 48EU or 12.5US) that match the M647s perfectly. This setup worked great for me.

I took them off of my Trek, and now they are just sitting. The shoes are in pristine shape (original box available) and the pedals show only slight dings and nicks. Make me a reasonable offer, and I might let you have them.
    sign here ________________________

Members who have read this thread: 0