Need a pair of gloves.- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 33 of 33
  1. #1
    LCA
    LCA is offline
    Local Shop Abuser
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    114

    Need a pair of gloves.

    Heres the deal I need a pair of gloves that are durable, flexible yet all the while breathable. I was looking at the giro remedys they look nice but are a hella lot money to be putting into just gloves. Hell I bought my helmet for 80.

    Anybody got any suggestions? I know motocross gloves are tough but they don't breathe and there not flexible.

  2. #2
    local trails rider
    Reputation: perttime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    12,228
    My solution: go to a LBS or sports store that sells bike stuff. Try some gloves that they have. Buy the ones you like.

  3. #3
    too cold to ride
    Reputation: BigSharks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,130
    Consider football WR gloves. Flexible and breathable, but not generally well insulated (i.e. not great in cold weather).
    Now go home and get your ******* shinebox.

  4. #4
    LCA
    LCA is offline
    Local Shop Abuser
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSharks
    Consider football WR gloves. Flexible and breathable, but not generally well insulated (i.e. not great in cold weather).
    I googled "football wr gloves" came up with ying yang gloves which are like 45 bucks but look good. There just not insulted well. I will be riding in both hot and cold weather so insulated or at least decently warm is a must.

  5. #5
    Birdman aka JMJ
    Reputation: Birdman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,076

    Try before you buy

    Try on as many as you can, buy one pair at the LBS and if you like them, pick up another pair later (you'll want more than one pair).

    I prefer full-finger gloves, and like Fox gloves because of their wide sizing range (I have XXL for me and XXS youth for my 2.5 year old daughter).

    I have some older Fox Inclines (2-3 pair) as well as Specialized gloves (1-2 pairs), and probably some Nashbar gloves too. Mine have simple leather palms with maybe an extra layer of leather over the palm surface, mesh back, and terrycloth thumb. No gel padding.

    If you find a great deal on gloves that have printed vinyl "armor" sewn onto the backs, you can remove it with a seam-ripper to reveal the breathable mesh underneath.

    I have dedicated winter gloves for cool weather riding: Specialized neoprene backed gloves - awesome!

    JMJ

  6. #6
    LCA
    LCA is offline
    Local Shop Abuser
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdman
    Try on as many as you can, buy one pair at the LBS and if you like them, pick up another pair later (you'll want more than one pair).

    I prefer full-finger gloves, and like Fox gloves because of their wide sizing range (I have XXL for me and XXS youth for my 2.5 year old daughter).

    I have some older Fox Inclines (2-3 pair) as well as Specialized gloves (1-2 pairs), and probably some Nashbar gloves too. Mine have simple leather palms with maybe an extra layer of leather over the palm surface, mesh back, and terrycloth thumb. No gel padding.

    If you find a great deal on gloves that have printed vinyl "armor" sewn onto the backs, you can remove it with a seam-ripper to reveal the breathable mesh underneath.

    I have dedicated winter gloves for cool weather riding: Specialized neoprene backed gloves - awesome!

    JMJ
    I'm looking at Fox's airlines right now. They look decent and might just be what I am looking for. Gonna look around some more though just in case.

  7. #7
    LCA
    LCA is offline
    Local Shop Abuser
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    114
    Wow the both the digit and unabomber look amazing. Anybody use either of them. The una bomber looks like it has a pinky and ring finger protection along with brow wiping thumb while the digit is just regular.

    http://shop.foxracing.com/ecomm/Auto...=24074001F.jpg

  8. #8
    Undercaffienated
    Reputation: hmorsi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    309
    Quote Originally Posted by LCA
    Heres the deal I need a pair of gloves that are durable, flexible yet all the while breathable. I was looking at the giro remedys they look nice but are a hella lot money to be putting into just gloves. Hell I bought my helmet for 80.

    Anybody got any suggestions? I know motocross gloves are tough but they don't breathe and there not flexible.
    I have several pairs but seem to use the Rock Gardn M-Theory most of the time. They Airprene material is pretty flexible and I like the knuckle protection. They look pretty good too.

    Cheap Axo gloves also worked well for me in terms of comfort and but don't offer much in terms of protection or durability.

  9. #9
    LCA
    LCA is offline
    Local Shop Abuser
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by hmorsi
    I have several pairs but seem to use the Rock Gardn M-Theory most of the time. They Airprene material is pretty flexible and I like the knuckle protection. They look pretty good too.

    Cheap Axo gloves also worked well for me in terms of comfort and but don't offer much in terms of protection or durability.
    I like both the axo and the theory. Do the thoery breathe pretty good cause they look like they don't but I can't tell for sure. What about the axos?

  10. #10
    Undercaffienated
    Reputation: hmorsi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    309
    Quote Originally Posted by LCA
    I like both the axo and the theory. Do the thoery breathe pretty good cause they look like they don't but I can't tell for sure. What about the axos?
    The Axo is lighter than the M-theory and not as stretchy. I don't like loose gloves..prefer them more form-fitting, and actually have the M-theory one size smaller than my glove size (medium, all my other gloves are large).

    I live in Egypt and it can get pretty hot over here, and the M-theory's breathability is alright in hot weather. The Axo's lighter material will be better if you want more air between your hands and the glove and would be ok with a little less protection or durability.

    Side note: I also like the M-theory's palm material much better than the Axo's.

  11. #11
    LCA
    LCA is offline
    Local Shop Abuser
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by hmorsi
    The Axo is lighter than the M-theory and not as stretchy. I don't like loose gloves..prefer them more form-fitting, and actually have the M-theory one size smaller than my glove size (medium, all my other gloves are large).

    I live in Egypt and it can get pretty hot over here, and the M-theory's breathability is alright in hot weather. The Axo's lighter material will be better if you want more air between your hands and the glove and would be ok with a little less protection or durability.

    Side note: I also like the M-theory's palm material much better than the Axo's.
    Sounds like axo is the way to go cause I'm the same way I hate loose gloves. What is the palm material of axo like?

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bobby12many's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    855
    I highly recommend the Bontrager Rhythm Comp gloves. They are extremely durable, very breathable considering their protective qualities, and nice looking.






    I was fortunate enough to have a pair of them on when I went down last year and shattered a few bones in my hand. The impact to my palm was intense enough to break 2 bones (scaphoid and lunate), but failed to even fully tear the palm material of the glove. Without them, I can guarantee that my hand would have been in MUCH worse shape than it was, at least needing stitches.

    I personally have 2 pairs of them now, one which I use for yard work / honey-do crap, and the other for riding.


    I cant imagine a more well constructed glove...

  13. #13
    ~Disc~Golf~
    Reputation: highdelll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    16,492
    Pearl Izumi Cyclones
    Honestly... ahh I give up

  14. #14
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,198
    Mechanix brand .

  15. #15
    Fisher Fanattic
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    46
    I use a outdoor work glove that I buy at a harware store, I am hard on gloves and theses where only $12. My wife likes them to, they are rugged and have gel in the palms. I have used them for the last four monthes.

    Although I am considering the Bontrager gloves.

  16. #16
    LCA
    LCA is offline
    Local Shop Abuser
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    114
    Ooh I really like the bontranger ones. How much did you pay for em? They don't list a price on there site.

    They look comfy as hell and durable. They just moved to top of my line.

    I am looking to get them online. Trek sells em but they want 40 plus 9 for GROUND SHIPPING. What a rip off. I looked on ebay didn't find em. Same with amazon. Nextag.com to. Anybody manage to find em online somewhere for a halfway decent price?
    Last edited by LCA; 04-08-2010 at 12:19 PM.

  17. #17
    is buachail foighneach me
    Reputation: sean salach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    6,589
    Fox gloves always gave me blisters. Special**ed's Body Geometry full finger gloves have so far been the best pair of gloves I've ever worn. I've tried on the Bontragers though, and they fit me nicely, so I'll probably get a pair of those when my BG gloves wear out.

    Are you against having one pair of gloves for cold and one for hot? Because you're really not going to find one pair of gloves that works for both...

    There's gotta be a shop that sells Trek or Gary Fisher near you. Go in and try on the Bonty gloves, and get them there, that way you don't get the wrong size, and you don't have to complain about shipping charges.

    *EDIT: just went to Trek's website and checked. There are like 30 shops within 25 miles of you that sell Trek....

  18. #18
    LCA
    LCA is offline
    Local Shop Abuser
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by sean salach
    Fox gloves always gave me blisters. Special**ed's Body Geometry full finger gloves have so far been the best pair of gloves I've ever worn. I've tried on the Bontragers though, and they fit me nicely, so I'll probably get a pair of those when my BG gloves wear out.

    Are you against having one pair of gloves for cold and one for hot? Because you're really not going to find one pair of gloves that works for both...

    There's gotta be a shop that sells Trek or Gary Fisher near you. Go in and try on the Bonty gloves, and get them there, that way you don't get the wrong size, and you don't have to complain about shipping charges.

    *EDIT: just went to Trek's website and checked. There are like 30 shops within 25 miles of you that sell Trek....
    Not against it at all. Actually I'd prefer it. But being a living and paying for everything as a college student ain't cheap and so money comes into play. I got a decent deal on my wtp trust along with the tool kit I ordered so I still have to get a bike lock and would like to find a pair of gloves to ride with since I tend to ride for 3 or 4 hours at a time.

    I actually moved so the city in my profile is where I used to live. Emporia KS is where I am temporarily calling home. Although I still haven't grasped the concept of going from such a big town to a small town.

    There is one bike shop that I know of and I've been in there and they don't have much so I am stuck looking online for a decent pair of gloves.

    Oh did I forget to mention I don't have a car anymore so umm yeah outta luck for driving to a different bike store. Oh it's good to be me. <<<<NOT

  19. #19
    is buachail foighneach me
    Reputation: sean salach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    6,589
    High Gear Cyclery, in Emporia, is a dealer. If they don't have em, they can get them.

    http://www.ridehighgear.com/

    I definitely understand being on an absurdly tight budget. Riding gloves are worth it though. Even with a ton of riding a year, using those BG gloves I no longer even get built up callouses. Find a pair of gloves that fit. Put them on and curl your fingers in, they should still be somewhat snug on your palm, at the knuckles.

  20. #20
    LCA
    LCA is offline
    Local Shop Abuser
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by sean salach
    High Gear Cyclery, in Emporia, is a dealer. If they don't have em, they can get them.

    http://www.ridehighgear.com/

    I definitely understand being on an absurdly tight budget. Riding gloves are worth it though. Even with a ton of riding a year, using those BG gloves I no longer even get built up callouses. Find a pair of gloves that fit. Put them on and curl your fingers in, they should still be somewhat snug on your palm, at the knuckles.
    Nice that's the bike store I was talking about.

    I had a pair of fox gloves before...the moto cross ones and I always had callusses. Was that not supposed to happen. Cause I always thought it was normal.

    The trouble with that store is that they don't have but a few pair of cycling gloves. You know the ones that come apart easily and are meant to be ridden by road cyclists not rough riding.

    Maybe I'll just find out the return policy and order em n if they turn out to not fit or be crappy I'll return em.

    BTW: Anybody got a good suggestion in terms of locks? I don't know if I want a lock yet cause I think I'd rather just take my bike everywhere with me but you never know.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bobby12many's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    855
    Quote Originally Posted by LCA
    Ooh I really like the bontranger ones. How much did you pay for em? They don't list a price on there site.

    They look comfy as hell and durable. They just moved to top of my line.

    I am looking to get them online. Trek sells em but they want 40 plus 9 for GROUND SHIPPING. What a rip off. I looked on ebay didn't find em. Same with amazon. Nextag.com to. Anybody manage to find em online somewhere for a halfway decent price?

    As suggested earlier, check out a Trek dealer near you and they should carry them. You will at least be able to test-fit them before purchasing.


    If for some reason you have trouble finding them under $40, send me a message/email. I can help you out.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bobby12many's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    855
    Quote Originally Posted by LCA

    BTW: Anybody got a good suggestion in terms of locks? I don't know if I want a lock yet cause I think I'd rather just take my bike everywhere with me but you never know.
    If you want the most security for your $$$, get a 2009+ Kryptonite U-lock.

    They are heavy, cumbersome, and impossible to damage. Everything you want in a lock.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bobby12many's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    855
    Quote Originally Posted by LCA
    Ooh I really like the bontranger ones. How much did you pay for em? They don't list a price on there site.

    They look comfy as hell and durable. They just moved to top of my line.

    I am looking to get them online. Trek sells em but they want 40 plus 9 for GROUND SHIPPING. What a rip off. I looked on ebay didn't find em. Same with amazon. Nextag.com to. Anybody manage to find em online somewhere for a halfway decent price?

    They are.

  24. #24
    Caca pasa
    Reputation: Finch Platte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    16,770
    6 bazillion posts on this subject. Here's one.

    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...ghlight=gloves
    "합니다 행사에서 디비 판매 합니다 관련해" Lesleybien

    Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nauc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,121
    i got these Dirtpaws for $22,

    0 complaints

    https://www.foxhead.com/mx10/?cat=gloves


  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nauc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,121
    i use Onguard ulocks, they protect against bumpkeys too, dont know if the Kryptonites do

    http://www.onguardlock.com/?page_id=329

  27. #27
    local trails rider
    Reputation: perttime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    12,228
    Some seem to like padding on palms. I cannot stand it. Padding makes it harder for me to hold onto the bar. Maybe if I had larger hands...

  28. #28
    LCA
    LCA is offline
    Local Shop Abuser
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby12many
    As suggested earlier, check out a Trek dealer near you and they should carry them. You will at least be able to test-fit them before purchasing.


    If for some reason you have trouble finding them under $40, send me a message/email. I can help you out.
    My bikes supposed to come today so once I put it together I'll check the local bike shop and let you know.

    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    6 bazillion posts on this subject. Here's one.

    https://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.p...ghlight=gloves
    There's to many gloves to choose from man. Although the thread above does some show some interest in the Oakley Factory Gloves.
    https://www.oakley.com/catalog/produ...er-_-94048-001 Anybody try them out. They look crappy.

    Quote Originally Posted by nauc
    i got these Dirtpaws for $22,

    0 complaints

    https://www.foxhead.com/mx10/?cat=gloves

    I actually had those back when I still had my black mrkt three57. It got stolen while in Florida. Liked em but not flexible enough and they were hot as can be. They were good for DJing in though.

    Quote Originally Posted by nauc
    i use Onguard ulocks, they protect against bumpkeys too, dont know if the Kryptonites do

    https://www.onguardlock.com/?page_id=329
    What are bump keys?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby12many
    If you want the most security for your $$$, get a 2009+ Kryptonite U-lock.

    They are heavy, cumbersome, and impossible to damage. Everything you want in a lock.
    They don't have one that looks big enough or am I just over compensating?

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bobby12many's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    855
    Quote Originally Posted by LCA
    My bikes supposed to come today so once I put it together I'll check the local bike shop and let you know.
    sounds good!


    What are bump keys?

    Bump keys are a common lock-picking tool


    They don't have one that looks big enough or am I just over compensating?

    I personally have the Krypto "New York" STD U lock, and it is big enough to fit on most any bike rack using the seatpost and wheel or toptube as the securing point. In fact I have actually locked 2 bikes at once with it by passing the "U" through both rear wheels and around a fencepost. Not once have I ever been in a situation where it's size wasnt adequate enough to secure my ride.Plus, it comes with 2 Keys, one which has a LED light built-in.... That has been a feature that seems trivial at first, but is a blessing when you are trying to unlock at a strange angle in the dark

    This is the model I have;



    Product Features

    * Big enough to lock the frame and rear wheel
    * 6 lb.
    * Disc-style cylinder lock
    * Anti-theft protection policy


    https://www.bicycling.com/gear/detai...1356-0,00.html




    The only true downside is the price... but when you think about the security and $3000 guarantee they put on the lock, its a small sacrifice. Plus, its not something you should ever have to replace once you make the initial investment.




    Hope that helps.

  30. #30
    LCA
    LCA is offline
    Local Shop Abuser
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    114

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby12many
    Hope that helps.
    Yeah that helps a lot. I think I found it on amazon cheap.
    http://www.amazon.com/Kryptonite-Sta...0821152&sr=8-2

    I was also looking at there chains. Had any experience with those?

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bobby12many's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    855
    Quote Originally Posted by LCA
    Yeah that helps a lot. I think I found it on amazon cheap.
    http://www.amazon.com/Kryptonite-Sta...0821152&sr=8-2

    I was also looking at there chains. Had any experience with those?
    Ive never owned one of the Krypto NewYork chains, but I have held plenty of them in my hands. They are seriously beefy.

    The only advantage I see with getting teh U lock over the chain is teh fact that the diameter of the chain links is thinner than that of the "U".

    I also believe most of the NewYork chains are even heavier than the NewYork U lock, which seems insane, as the Ulock is NO joke.

    When I initially got my U lock, I lightly "tossed" it to my girlfriend and said to her, in jest; "Wow! Feel how light this is!!!" It went straight through her waiting hands, onto the ground and nearly killed one of my cats.


    Happy Friday

  32. #32
    LCA
    LCA is offline
    Local Shop Abuser
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby12many
    Ive never owned one of the Krypto NewYork chains, but I have held plenty of them in my hands. They are seriously beefy.

    The only advantage I see with getting teh U lock over the chain is teh fact that the diameter of the chain links is thinner than that of the "U".

    I also believe most of the NewYork chains are even heavier than the NewYork U lock, which seems insane, as the Ulock is NO joke.

    When I initially got my U lock, I lightly "tossed" it to my girlfriend and said to her, in jest; "Wow! Feel how light this is!!!" It went straight through her waiting hands, onto the ground and nearly killed one of my cats.


    Happy Friday
    haha that's hilarious. Sucks for the cat though.

    yeah I'll have to get one. On another note though I got my wtp trust today put it together went to get a pump from the LBS and started pumping up my tires. Now my back tire was fine but I went to put a little more air into. Max is 65 psi it was at around 51psi. Now my back tire loses air. i think it;s the valve stem but not sure. Are they easy to replace? If so how do i go about getting one and replacing it.

    I haven't even gotten to ride my bike yet and I've had it for 7 hours. The LBS is swamped and said they won't be able to even take a look at my bike til maybe Tuesday so that's outta the question.

  33. #33
    LCA
    LCA is offline
    Local Shop Abuser
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    114
    I went to my LBS and ordered the bontrager rythm comp gloves for 40 bucks. Got my tire fixed and now am off to finally ride my new WTP Trust. Laters.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.