Need new shoes- Mtbr.com

Thread: Need new shoes

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Need new shoes

I would like recommendations for XC race-oriented mtb shoes.
    I could spend $200 and have a great pair, but what I'm hoping for is to find a hidden gem for a very reasonable price. Maybe you know of a good model on closeout somewhere?

I've been using a pair of Nashbar shoes for the last couple of years and they are fine, but very heavy.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    go with some specialized body geometry shoes, the nice ones.... on a budget, i'd take a look at northwave but stay away from Lake.

mtbr member
    I keep looking at sierra trading post.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/3...D-For-Men.html

But for some reason I want a pare of these.

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes..._400009_400098
    Last edited by pulser; 04-11-2010 at 09:49 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I have been riding these for about 3 months.

Bontrager MTN RL shoe

These are my first pair of clipless shoes but they have worked great form me and I have no complaints. They have gotten good reviews and are a decent price.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    I'll second the Specialized BG's. I got the Comps I think (list for about $140).
    Most comfortable shoes I've ever put on my wide 'merican feet.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    I just got some Sidi Dominators and HATE them. They kill my feet and are a perfect fit. I have been using Specialized BG for ever and just decided to see what all the hype is about with Sidi...they don't work for me.

I am looking at some top of line BG now...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Try stuff on.

I can't stand Specialized BG shoes. They seem to assume I have every foot problem under the sun and just seem to make everything hurt in so many different ways.

Tried on a pair of sidi's which unless I really like the shimano ones I'm trying on soon I'll be getting.

I do have very slim euro style feet though (B width fitting).

Bike Geek
    Mar 2005
    Mavic Fury's. Absolutely the most comfortable MTB shoes I have ever worn. I don't even feel like I have anything on. It's like wearing slippers. As long as you don't have wide feet the are perfect. They are more than 200.00, but trust me they are worth every penny.

BDT
    mtbr member
    On my 3rd pair of Specialized BG's. I get about 2 seasons per pair (eggbeaters ftl).

I also recommend the road version.

mtbr member
    I'd try on as many as you can. Because they're supposed to fit so tight, with very little room for movement, fit and comfort is way more important than weight. If you find a shoe that feels like a glove, but doesn't squeeze anywhere - get it. You'll probably be trying on the higher end shoes, so they won't be too heavy.

For my feet, Shimano usually fits me well, Specialized fits well, Sidi - not so much. I also found that each level of shoe within the companies fits differently. So a Comp felt different than a Pro. in the same size. go figure?

I'm currently sporting the Spec. Pro. They've lasted more than a year so far. They're alright comfort wise, no real complaints, but I'll go back through, the whole trying on thing, again next time.

Ridin bikes is fun
    Just a side note about the Specialized shoes. I bought a pair of the Pros 2 years ago. Over the last 2 years I raced 12 or so XC races, 5 endurance races and tons of training and fun rides. They were getting very worn out to say the least. About a month ago I did a big ride with a group here in AZ (35 miles 7000' of climbing, rocky rocky technical terrain) and the seams that hold the buckle down started to come apart. So I was in the market for a new pair. I went to my LBS and was looking at the new Pros, the price had gone up $40 bucks to $260 retail. I am friendly with these guys as I spend lots of money in their shop, when I told them why I needed new shoes I was told to bring in my old shoes so they could see them. Anyways, when I brought in the old ones the shop manger ask what size I was. told em 91/2, 3 minutes later she came out with a new pair of Pros and said here ya go. I was like "how much?" and she said "free"...........No joke, I was told the stitching should out last the shoe and so the replacement was on them. Those shoes had been through so much I couldn't believe it. I'm with Specialized (as for as shoes go) from now on.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I had exactly the same experience with BGs - the buckle stitching came loose after a year of hard use and the local Specialized dealer replaced them FOC, no questions asked! I love them and will definately buy another pair if I ever have to!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I've also been racing on a pair of the specialized BG pros. Comfortable and light enough. Just picked up another pair to use for racing, and will shuffle my current shoes to training duty once the new ones are broken in. I also fit sidi well, and have a pair of sidi road shoes. I don't think you can go wrong with either the specialized or the sidis if they fit, both are high quality shoes. I can get a deal on specialized stuff... so that's where my money went.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardL
    I had exactly the same experience with BGs - the buckle stitching came loose after a year of hard use and the local Specialized dealer replaced them FOC, no questions asked! I love them and will definately buy another pair if I ever have to!
    I had a similar problem with some Louis Garneau Montana XT shoes. It only cost me about $12 to get both shoes repaired at a little place down the street from my LBS.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    my Sidi's have been very good to me! comfortable, rebuildable, good looking, quality.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Gaerne, best MX boots and MTB shoes going right now.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ErickKTM
    Gaerne, best MX boots and MTB shoes going right now.
    I agree; just bought a pair of their road shoes and I love them. Still made in Italy too!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by scoutcat
    stay away from Lake.

Care to elaborate?

I have two pairs of Lakes (road and mountain) and really really really like them both. I have had the mountiain pair for a few years and no problems. Both aren't the expensive models either.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I have the specialized BG S-Works, with the boa enclosure. I can't really tell you how they fit because I don't notice them when I ride.. My feet are fairly wide in the forefoot and flat if that helps.

mtbr member
    I really like my northwaves, and the price is nice

Waiting for Godot
    dmt watt
    Out riding, leave a message

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I've got a narrow foot with a really high arch and my favorite shoes so far have been the Specialized S-Works BG shoes. I was able to fit them with the "high arch insoles" and also a knowledgeable bike fitter used shims in them for me. I present a unique case and am hard to fit, but loved the BG shoes when they were set up right. I wore them out after about 18 months--lot's of use because i used them for road riding as well--and had to replace the lacing system a couple of times. But they were great shoes given the fit and amount of usage.

Right now I've got a pair of the Shimano custom fit. To be honest, they didn't really work out at first. I put my insoles and shims from the BG shoes in there and now they work just fine. But next time I need shoes I'm planning on the BG shoes unless something else really jumps out at me.

The real problem in buying high end mtb shoes is that very few of us live somewhere where you can go into a shop and try on a lot of the best brands in your size to see what fits best. I have yet to see a shop where I could try on lots of different high end shoes to check them for fit. I can't even do so by going to all the shops in my town (4 shops).

Ibexbiker
    Apr 2006
    I've had good luck with various models of Lake over the years and most recently LG Montana XT's. My next pair will probably be either Lake or Specialized. But when it comes to footwear you need to try them on first. What works for one may not work for you.

Side note: When my Louis Garneau shoes had some issues the first year I got them I got a free replacement no questions asked.

Members who have read this thread: 0