Need new helmet recommendations.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2015

Need new helmet recommendations.

I currently have a Fox Flux and I think it's time to move on. Overall it's been a decent helmet but there's a few things I don't like.

-It's a bit heavy to me.
    -The retention system does put pressure on the back and can sometimes become uncomfortable after a period of riding.
    -The visor is too short.
    -I feel like it doesn't vent well.

I want another helmet that covers the back of the head. Not sure what style this is called though.

I don't want MIPS because I shave my head in the summer and that plastic liner sticks to it and feels terrible. I borrowed a friend's POC Trabec with MIPS and couldn't stand that liner.

My budget is $120 and I want the following in order of importance:
    1. Better airflow/breathes better, particularly when climbing. I'm thinking that vents on the top would allow more heat to escape and help more than front vents. This might be why the Flux is mediocre as it has front facing vents but not much at the very top to let heat escape.
    2. Lighter
    3. Ability to wear sunglasses

I went to a LBS and the only helmet they had under $100 was the Giro Feature at $90. It was lighter but I'm unsure of air flow. Online views seem mixed but skew towards it being a warm helmet.

They pushed me towards the $200 Troy Lee A1. Very nice but it wouldn't accommodate my sunglasses. It comes down too far over the temples and crushes the arms of the sunglasses. Dealbreaker for me.

Any other helmets I should look at or should I just get the Giro Feature? I heard the Bell Stoker is cheap and has nice airflow so I may go that route.

If anyone had the same gripes about the Fox Flux as I do and found a better helmet I'd love to hear what you bought.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    The Bell Stoker is a good option for you. Lightweight and breathes quite well. Visor is mediocre like the Flux though. Sunglasses shouldn't be an issue either. If you look online you can find it for half your budget or less. In fact you could probably pick up both the Giro Feature and Bell Stoker for $120 if you're so inclined.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I have the SixSixOne Recon helmet. I shave my head and the inner liner feels good. It has good ventilation and light-weight. Extended rear protection which was something I was looking for since my old helmet did cover enough. Visor is ok. I can wear sunglasses with no issues. I am happy with that helmet.
    Everything is better on 2 wheels!
    Giant Anthem X 29er, Trance 27.5
    Diamondback Clutch 27.5+
    mountainbikingtexas.blogspot.com

Ride More - Suffer Less
    I really liked my older 661 Recon as well but the rear retention system made me move on. I like to adjust that if I am climbing or descending sometimes and the Recon did not do that well.

I see most of the new 661 helmets use the BOA system now...that is pretty nice for retention adjustment. Back on my list.

mtbr member
    I have the A1 and it suck when it comes to air flow. Only use it now for winter riding.

mtbr member
    I use the Bell Super,,my son has the Stoker,,The Super wins out on these 2 IMO,,better retention/fit at the back of you head/neck area

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nightvisionmiami View Post
    I have the SixSixOne Recon helmet. I shave my head and the inner liner feels good. It has good ventilation and light-weight. Extended rear protection which was something I was looking for since my old helmet did cover enough. Visor is ok. I can wear sunglasses with no issues. I am happy with that helmet.
    How do you deal with the tan pattern on your head. I always wear Halo with full coverage.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by TraxFactory View Post
    I really liked my older 661 Recon as well but the rear retention system made me move on. I like to adjust that if I am climbing or descending sometimes and the Recon did not do that well.

I see most of the new 661 helmets use the BOA system now...that is pretty nice for retention adjustment. Back on my list.
    The old Detox system is like the Flux. Maybe they call it that because it gives you a pounding headache.

Looks like they have the Recon, Recon Scout, and Recon Stryker but I'm not really sure what the differences are.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonNI View Post
    I have the A1 and it suck when it comes to air flow. Only use it now for winter riding.
    Thanks. Definitely excluding it from the list.

Quote Originally Posted by White7 View Post
    I use the Bell Super,,my son has the Stoker,,The Super wins out on these 2 IMO,,better retention/fit at the back of you head/neck area
    I considered the Super but read it doesn't ventilate as well so that has me leaning towards the Stoker.

And the Stoker is $40 online so I'll probably pick it up and hopefully another helmet. Perhaps one of the Recons if I can figure out what the differences are.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    jenson has the bell super 2r @130

turtles make me hot
    Funny. When I saw the title, I was going to come in and say I just bought my third Fox Flux. I guess my head is Flux shaped.
    Actually, the new one is slightly more comfortable than my last one. Maybe they made a slight change?
    I like turtles

Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug 2008

Need new helmet recommendations.

Someone above said the TLD A1 is hot - no way... I have the Bell Super and the Troy Lee A1 and the A1 is notably much, much cooler - you can really feel the air flow through. For me, its the most comfortable / coolest helmet I've ever had (and I've had a Flux too). (and you should be able to get an A1 for $110, easily)

You sound pretty picky - you're better of trying some more on at local shops and making your own judgement.

There are tons of "AM-style" helmets now, from Troy Lee, Fly Racing, Bell, 661, Giro and a ton more.

(actually, check out the Fly Racing Freestone helmet - very nice, AM-style with a lot of ventilation).
    Last edited by KGAmoto; 01-25-2016 at 07:04 AM.
    --------------------------
    mtxbraking.com
    Braking components for the MTB industry.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    [QUOTE= (actually, check out the Fly Racing Freestone helmet - very nice, AM-style with a lot of ventilation).[/QUOTE]

I have 3 of the Fly Racing Freestone helmets. Great fit, ( for me ) and excellent ventilation, and come in a plethora of great colors.

Freestone MTB Matte Black/Grey/Hi-Vis Helmet | FLY Racing | Motocross, MTB, BMX, Snowmobile Racewear; Street Apparel and Hard Parts

I also have the TLD A-1, and it is very comfortable and ( for me ) well ventilated.
    2019 Rocky Mountain Altitude C70 Custom
    2018 Pivot Mach 5.5 Custom
    2018 Orange Alpine 6 Custom
    2017 Knolly Warden Custom

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Maybe try a Bontrager Rally without MIPS ($99.99) or Giant Rail ($130) or Giro Montaro ($150).

All on sale often or on eBay for steep discount. But as stated you need to try on first. Great price means nothing if it fits like a square peg in a round hole.

mtbr member
    I just got a Giro Montaro, very comfy. The A1 fit me as well so the Montaro may be an option.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    For what it's worth, I like my Giro Feature. I do not find it to be warm or lacking in ventilation.

Ride Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by unaware View Post
    The Bell Stoker is a good option for you. Lightweight and breathes quite well. Visor is mediocre like the Flux though. Sunglasses shouldn't be an issue either. If you look online you can find it for half your budget or less. In fact you could probably pick up both the Giro Feature and Bell Stoker for $120 if you're so inclined.
    I have a Stoker MIPS and really like it. The OP mentioned not wanting a MIPS helmet, but it's quite comfortable with a Headsweats doo rag.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    So I went ahead and bought the Stoker since backcountry had it for around $35 shipped.

Not sure when they release new helmets or if it's just at random times. I'll save up a bit and see what's available near the $200 price range and see if it's really worth the additional cost.

mtbr member
    Looking for a helmet with more coverage than Giro Hex for riding out West. Undecided between:

Giro Montaro
    Giro Feature
    IXS Trail RS
    Troy Lee A1

There's some pretty awesome deals right now the the TL and IXS. Any recommendations?

Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by edbraunbeck View Post
    Looking for a helmet with more coverage than Giro Hex for riding out West. Undecided between:

Giro Montaro
    Giro Feature
    IXS Trail RS
    Troy Lee A1

There's some pretty awesome deals right now the the TL and IXS. Any recommendations?
    I don't think you will find many that don't like the Troy Lee A1. I have one - they got the padding and venting right. Very comfortable and cool.

I tried on the Giro Montaro last week out of curiosity. I actually thought some padding was missing and still in the box. Not the case. Maybe it is due to the MIPS, not sure. That said, it was still comfortable but hard to tell without putting some miles on it.
    --------------------------
    mtxbraking.com
    Braking components for the MTB industry.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    I have the Giro Montaro, no problems at all, great helmet....

mtbr member
    I have a lot of helmets, but I usually reach for the Stoker. Light (my medium is 306g), airy, great coverage, cheap, and comfortable. Non-adjustable visor is it's only minus.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    There are helmets that breathe better than the TLD A1, but there are plenty that don't too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinboyer View Post
    I have 3 of the Fly Racing Freestone helmets. Great fit, ( for me ) and excellent ventilation, and come in a plethora of great colors.

Freestone MTB Matte Black/Grey/Hi-Vis Helmet | FLY Racing | Motocross, MTB, BMX, Snowmobile Racewear; Street Apparel and Hard Parts

I also have the TLD A-1, and it is very comfortable and ( for me ) well ventilated.
    can anyone compare the fit/head-shape of the Fly Freestone with Giro? Giro Hex is my go-to helmet for fit, and haven't seen any Fly helmets locally to try one on, but they look like a good design.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I just went from fox flux to a lazer oasis and I love it

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc View Post
    can anyone compare the fit/head-shape of the Fly Freestone with Giro? Giro Hex is my go-to helmet for fit, and haven't seen any Fly helmets locally to try one on, but they look like a good design.
    Last spring, when I was in a market for a new helmet, I researched and shopped and winded up buying a Fly Freestone, a Lazer Oaziz, an Urge SuprAcross, a Kali Avita and a Limar. The suggestions that you should always tried on a helmet before buying is a very sound advice but unfortunately, it is not always possible due to availability. The Kali and Limar was given away because of size issues even though the Kali Avita was very comfortable. The Freestone with it's dual density foam feature was the one that I really wanted, but it has two hard pressure points that poked me on the back of the head that my immediate reaction was to return it even though I still have it. My go to helmet now as far as being great fitting and very comfortable is the Urge SuprAcross. I tried the Giros in the LBS but the ones I tried had that birds nest perched on top of my head feel so they were eliminated from the list because I preferred the my head in a helmet feel. I am still shopping for a great venting helmet as it is very hot and humid here.

YKN
    Last edited by pzvi; 01-31-2016 at 05:11 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I too am in the market for a new enduro style helmet. I currently have the Specialized Instinct, which I like except for the mushroom effect it gives due to the extreme thickness. If I measure it thru the top vent, it is 1 1/2" thick. Can anyone recommend a LOW profile helmet you like, and if possible, the thickness thru a top vent? Thx.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I'm digging the Kask Rex I got recently. Not sure if available in the States yet, I got it online from Europe. Might be a bit much for your budget, though, but great helmet.