need a new helmet- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010

need a new helmet

Hey guys, I'm going go buy a new helmet today so I wanted some opinions. I mainly just ride on my local trails (nothing to crazy). Was looking to spend around $100. Thoughts?

local trails rider
    Try before you buy.

People have different heads: sizes and shapes. Helmets come in different shapes too, not just different sizes. The same helmet model will not fit all.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I am interested in which brands anyone would recommend not particular styles or sizes.

Trying not to kill myself
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino18
    I am interested in which brands anyone would recommend not particular styles or sizes.
    My favorite helmet is from Specialized, and I've got a Giro that I like also. Tried a Fox recently based on great reviews, but it just wasn't comfortable with the shape of my head. Your experience could be the opposite. The best way to buy a helmet is to go to a shop(s) that carries lots of brands and models that you can try on. Any CPSC approved helmet will do the job, but it needs to fit properly and not keep you from enjoying your ride.

General helmet info and buyer's guides can be found here: http://www.bhsi.org/

local trails rider
    I have managed to find one Bell and one Giro that I can wear without discomfort.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    i just got a fox flux and i love it ($99)

mtbr member
    I'm VERY happy with my Bell Delirium. Pretty light weight and plenty of air vents for $50-$60.

74 & 29 pilot
    I currently use a Giro Xen. As a mtn. biker only and a little XC thrown in, I like the style and it fits great and comfortably. I'm am however disappointed about how far it DOES NOT come down to cover the lower back of my head just like most helmets that sit on top. I wasn't able to try it first because NOBODY had any in stock in the valley area that I live in, but have had Giro previously and knew my size. I think I should have gone with the 661 Recon.

Don't buy these things for retail MSRP. You can find them way cheaper on ebay, jensonusa, pricepoint, etc. Just make sure you know what size fits best!

MTBP

Semi-Hairless Sasquatch
    So far I have much better luck w/ the fit of Specialized helmets than any others I have tried.

Got a Specialized Tactics for ~$70 about a month ago and aside from the kinda silly graphics on it it's been very good. I really like the Head Set halo adjuster and it seems to offer very good coverage and ventilation. Really wanted to check out the Vice as well, but my LBS doesn't stock it and won't let you do a return on a special order.

I tried on the Xen but it didn't fit properly and didn't seem like it would be as well ventilated. The Bell models they had seemed to be the same kinda of fit issues w/ less ventilation and heavier.

too cold to ride
    Giro Rift, plus you'll have a fifty left over.
    Now go home and get your ******* shinebox.

banned
    I didnt get a special bike helmet,because I also go skiing,and I like my Smith venue helmet ,it is better than special bike helmet

mtbr member
    All the main brands are pretty good. Even the cheapest helmet from Bell works when your head hits the ground, a tree, or a rock.
    They all pass the same test.
    Keeping in mind, yes I know you're asking for good brands.

1. Fit
    2. Style/manufacturer

Go try them all on, pick the ones that feel best.
    Decide between them based on ventilation and style preference.

Personally, I have the cheapest Bell that was on the shelf because it felt fine on my head. I have hit my head on the ground moderately a few times, once on a rock and once really hard on the ground. I never had any sort of injury and honestly it never felt like I even hit my head after standing up.(yeah I know it's time to buy a new helmet after those hits) The point is, they all work well.

With that said, I'm going to go try on a Fox Flux and the new 661 Recon, just because I love the look.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    i got the army green fox flux. comfortable and has good ventilation, is a bit more than a bell helmet. if i had to go back id get the black and white one.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Giro Xen. Recently saved me Oh, and they company gave me 30% crash discount when I ordered a new one.

Underskilled
    forget most of this thread.

The most important bit of information you were given was fit.
    After fit everything else was secondary.

try many brands, as each brand tends to have their own fit.
    I like MET helmets, but Giro fit me better, so I wear gyro.

the only thing is fit, and it has to be good. Most shops only carry a couple of brands, you want to try many brands, so more than one shop.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

I4NI
    Quote Originally Posted by mardy908
    i got the army green fox flux. comfortable and has good ventilation, is a bit more than a bell helmet. if i had to go back id get the black and white one.

+1 A helmet with alot of coverage/protection and yet have good ventilation.
    There....Are... Four...Lights!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    As others have mentioned - fit and ventilation. A helmet will not necessarily fit better just because it's more expensive. I have three helmets and usually wear the inexpensive store brand helmet from performance.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Helmet head

Specialized makes very comfortable helmets in a variety of styles and prices.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Uvex on Chainlove if you troll long enough

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    What do you guys think about the Bontrager helmets? Right now I have a Bontrager Solstice but planning on taking it back for a Bontrager Quantum.

Master of Disaster
    I found a bunch of clearance helmets at REI:

For me - a Giro Xen in Khaki Fabric for $85
    For my oldest son - a Fox Flux for $55
    For my youngest son - a Giro Hex for $45

Absolutely love the Giro Xen Fabric models - great quality, design and fit. I've tried a LOT of helmets including the Hex and the new Xar and the Xen is my top pick. The one-piece cushion and shell-anchored straps are what make the Xen the iconic helmet it is. I hate to admin that I kinda dig the quasi-military desert look.

The worst accident I've had in years was just a few weeks ago - over the bars and landed right on my mouth. Helmet didn't do a thing for me since it barely touched the ground. Still glad I had it on though. Anyway, the holes in the side mess up my hair less than other helmets!. LOL.
    Last edited by Clones123; 02-21-2011 at 08:10 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0