Need a new helmet- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Need a new helmet

Im looking for a new helmet and I have it down to
    Fly racing Freestone Fly Racing Freestone Helmet 2015 > Apparel > Helmets > Men's Helmets | Jenson USA

7Idp M2 7Idp M2 Helmet > Apparel > Helmets > Men's Helmets | Jenson USA

Mavic Crossride Mavic Crossride Helmet > Apparel > Helmets > Men's Helmets | Jenson USA

IXS Trail RS iXS Trail RS Helmet > Apparel > Helmets > Men's Helmets | Jenson USA

Looking for some feed back from people that might have one of them and how you like them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    None of those, but I just purchased a bontrager rally. Pretty good.

about eleventy times better than the "skateboard" style helmet I had before... heavy, and only 6 odd cooling holes right up the top. Plus no adjustable fit.

mtbr member
    I've a IXS Trail RS and love it. Had a TLD A1 before and wouldn't compare the two.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonNI View Post
    I've a IXS Trail RS and love it. Had a TLD A1 before and wouldn't compare the two.
    Thanks the IXS is at the top of the list it looks like the best vented of the bunch.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I own 7 helmets, and 3 of them are Fly Racing Freestones. When I go to grab a helmet, it's usually one of the 3 Freestones. The fit is spot on, for me. Great ventilation, for me, and they look good. The 7idp helmet is virtually the exact same helmet as the Freestone. The reason I know this is because I purchased one from Jenson USA when I purchased my last Freestone from then. When I got them I compared them side by side and they were identical. So I sent the 7idp back. I also have a TLD A1, and like it very much also. My other 3 are 2 Urge helmets and 1 MET, Parabellum.
    2019 Rocky Mountain Altitude C70 Custom
    2018 Pivot Mach 5.5 Custom
    2018 Orange Alpine 6 Custom
    2017 Knolly Warden Custom

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pulser View Post
    Thanks the IXS is at the top of the list it looks like the best vented of the bunch.
    Reason I didn't like the A1 was its lack of venting.

mtbr member
    I'm looking for a new helmet too, so thanks for the reviews. For me the three things that are most important are size, venting, and clean.

I've got a big head, so I need an XL helmet. One of my last helmets, I ended up taking all the straps and adjustable headband stuff out and it fit better with basic foam pads. Lost some ventilation, but it fit better.

Ventilation, get one with a bug screen, and doesn't buildup heat around the face. I wear glasses, and they've fogged up before because I couldn't get enough airflow around my face once I stopped or slowed down.

Clean. This is getting more important to me because I don't want a super funky helmet. Replaceable pads that actually stick to the inside of the helmet are a must. One of the reasons I took the guts out of my current helmet was because the velcro glue melted and wouldn't hold anymore.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    The Fly and IXS look good. like the bug proof esh. I wouldn't get anything withut trying it on, though.