Need info on shoes!!!- Mtbr.com

Sep 2006

New question here. Need info on shoes!!!

Okay, I need some feedback on shoes. I apparently have mutant feet. My current shoes are the Specialized BG Sport Mtb shoes. Great shoes except that they squish my feet and compress nerves that make my feet go numb. And if I ride for more than 2.5hrs my feet hurt for at least a day after. I don't have an especially wide foot. My New Balance sneakers are a B width.
    So now I am on the hunt for a good mtn shoe that has a wider toe box than the Specialized. I was thinking of looking at the Sidi Mega sizes but think they might be too wide all over and I'll end up with a lot of heel slippage. And, of course, nobody makes women's specific shoes in wide. Heaven forbid a woman have anything other than a tiny little slip of a foot!
    Anyway, if anybody has any feedback on what brands I should look at let me know.

Thanks!!

I railed it like Kong
    Italian shoes seem to have a narrower profile. That said i would track down a Sidi dealer and try on their wides to see how they fit. Shimano have a wider profile in their non-race type shoes. You never said what type you were looking for. Also i've tried on some 661's that had lots of width on them.

Men look for women with little feet- they are easier to catch due to poor lateral stability.
    I'm UNIQUE... just like everybody else.

nobody
    I tried on a pair of SIDI's a few years ago before I bought a pair of Shimano 152's. I thought the SIDI's felt too wide. The Shimano's ended up giving me problems like you describe.

So, I moved on to Specialized BG Comp's and they are perfect for me. I also have a pair of 661 Nuevo's which are more of a hiking shoe but they feel wider than my Specialized's.

It's too bad you can't try before you buy. I got turned on to the Specialized's because a friend let me borrow his bike for a ride when I was visiting from out of state and he had a pair (luckily in my size). I loved how they felt on the bike then and I've been extremely happy since then. Unfortunately, it's hard to tell how a pair of shoes is going to affect your feet long term until you're out on the trail with them.

So I recommend trying the SIDI's or the 661's if you're looking for more of a recreational shoe.
    I'm what Willis was talkin' about

Sep 2006
    Ooops! Sorry, I'm looking for a race type shoe. I'm a sport racer, or at least that's what I pretend to be.
    Although at this point I won't completely rule out a more recreational type shoe if that's what's going to work.
    I really like the Specialized BG feel, if only it was a little bit wider.

Thanks for the info!

banned
    Sep 2005
    Definitely give SIDI a try and see how they work out.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by BiknMama
    Okay, I need some feedback on shoes. I apparently have mutant feet. My current shoes are the Specialized BG Sport Mtb shoes. Great shoes except that they squish my feet and compress nerves that make my feet go numb. And if I ride for more than 2.5hrs my feet hurt for at least a day after. I don't have an especially wide foot. My New Balance sneakers are a B width.
    So now I am on the hunt for a good mtn shoe that has a wider toe box than the Specialized. I was thinking of looking at the Sidi Mega sizes but think they might be too wide all over and I'll end up with a lot of heel slippage. And, of course, nobody makes women's specific shoes in wide. Heaven forbid a woman have anything other than a tiny little slip of a foot!
    Anyway, if anybody has any feedback on what brands I should look at let me know.

Thanks!!
    A "B" width is narrow. Have you been wearing women's cycling shoes? If so try on some men's models. The Sidi Megas are an "E" width IIRC.

Also be aware that if the Spec BG inserts do not fit your foot correctly they can cause problems. I have long toes and short arches so the BG arch goes too far forward and I get pain and numbness.

You may want to try a different, flatter insole in your current shoes, or a SuperFeet insert. I put these in most of my shoes.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    A "B" width is narrow. Have you been wearing women's cycling shoes? If so try on some men's models. The Sidi Megas are an "E" width IIRC.

Also be aware that if the Spec BG inserts do not fit your foot correctly they can cause problems. I have long toes and short arches so the BG arch goes too far forward and I get pain and numbness.

You may want to try a different, flatter insole in your current shoes, or a SuperFeet insert. I put these in most of my shoes.
    I guess the "B" width for New Balance is the medium or standard width. I definitely do not have narrow feet.
    When I first started riding my Specialized shoes (mens version - the womens were too narrow) they had the regular old thin insert, not the BG insert. I had a terrible time with the thin insert as I would get "hot foot" in addition to the numbness. So then I bought the BG inserts and they alleviated the "hot foot" sensation but amplified the numbness. So my podiatrist said I needed more room for my toes, so I cut the inserts in half to give my toes more room. It delayed the onset of the numbness didn't get rid of it.
    It sucks because I really like the Spec BG shoes. Maybe I'll see about getting them stretched. At this point it couldn't hurt - and it's a heck of a lot cheaper than buying new shoes right now. I just got a new Epic and my husband's none too keen on me spending even more money on bike stuff. I guess it's different when he does it though.

Thanks for the info and I'll check out the Superfeet inserts and maybe try on some Sidi's and 661's to start with.
    Finding the right bike equipment can be a stinkin' expensive and frustrating mission!

I guess the "B" width for New Balance is the medium or standard width. I definitely do not have narrow feet.
    When I first started riding my Specialized shoes (mens version - the womens were too narrow) they had the regular old thin insert, not the BG insert. I had a terrible time with the thin insert as I would get "hot foot" in addition to the numbness. So then I bought the BG inserts and they alleviated the "hot foot" sensation but amplified the numbness. So my podiatrist said I needed more room for my toes, so I cut the inserts in half to give my toes more room. It delayed the onset of the numbness didn't get rid of it.
    It sucks because I really like the Spec BG shoes. Maybe I'll see about getting them stretched. At this point it couldn't hurt - and it's a heck of a lot cheaper than buying new shoes right now. I just got a new Epic and my husband's none too keen on me spending even more money on bike stuff. I guess it's different when he does it though.

Thanks for the info and I'll check out the Superfeet inserts and maybe try on some Sidi's and 661's to start with.
    Finding the right bike equipment can be a stinkin' expensive and frustrating mission!
    Another shoe option: Pearl Izumi Vagabond

https://www.performancebike.com/shop...tegory_ID=2120
    Very comfortable. Roomy toe box. Stiff. Not expensive.
    I use to wear 2E width NBs and the Vagabond fits me well.

(B is NB's narrowest men's width [B, D, 2E, 4E] and next to narrowest women's [2a, B, D, 2E])
    mtbtires.com

MTB Rider
    It all depends on what shape the last is. But I did read that you did not have enough room for your toes. It could be that you simply bought the shoes 1 size too small.

Quote Originally Posted by willtsmith_nwi
    It all depends on what shape the last is. But I did read that you did not have enough room for your toes. It could be that you simply bought the shoes 1 size too small.
    Very possible. I am wearing shoes 1-2 (euro) sizes larger now than I did 15 years ago, mainly for toe room.
    mtbtires.com

pronounced may-duh
    I had problems with the toe box being to small and squashing my feet. Then I got some SIDI's and they fit like a glove. Italians just know how to make shoes.

Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Very possible. I am wearing shoes 1-2 (euro) sizes larger now than I did 15 years ago, mainly for toe room.
    Hmmm....I'm not sure that's the problem. It's not the length of the shoes it's the width. I don't have the shoes hitting the ends of my toes. Just squishing the heck out of them from the sides. But it's worth a look at. The shop team I'm on carries Specialized so it'll be easy enough to try them out when I can get over there.

The Pearli Vagabonds sound like a definite try too. I think my LBS carries those as well. At least they used to before they became a Spec dealer.

Anyway, thanks everyone for all the great input. I hope to be able to hit the bike shop this weekend to start looking.

Hmmm....I'm not sure that's the problem. It's not the length of the shoes it's the width. I don't have the shoes hitting the ends of my toes. Just squishing the heck out of them from the sides. But it's worth a look at. The shop team I'm on carries Specialized so it'll be easy enough to try them out when I can get over there.

The Pearli Vagabonds sound like a definite try too. I think my LBS carries those as well. At least they used to before they became a Spec dealer.

Anyway, thanks everyone for all the great input. I hope to be able to hit the bike shop this weekend to start looking.
    Try on as many as you can. Even if the first size feels good I always try the bigger and smaller size, too, sometimes one past that. It can help to know what does not fit.
    mtbtires.com

So is your face
    I'll second that. In order for most cycling shoes to fit width-wise my toes have been jammed into the front end. Now that I have Sidi Dominators, problem solved.
    IT'S NOT THE FALL THAT HURTS. IT'S WHEN YOU HIT THE GROUND.

Members who have read this thread: 0