Need help buying the best helmet for the money- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2017

Need help buying the best helmet for the money

There are 2 good technologies to help minimize brain injury which is MIPs and koroyd. I can't seem to find any full face ones that have both.

I see $160 full face helmets with MIPs, with EPS foam, and fiberglass material. Then I see $200 ones with the exact same things except it may have more ventilation holes.

Am I missing something?

There are helmets made of other materials besides fiberglass, such as carbon and other polymer. But how important is that. From what I know fiberglass is quite strong.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    You should know that the crowd you are posing this question to is peppered with riders who've used cheap (or no) helmets for years, or even decades. We've suffered more blunt force trauma and head injuries than a bus full of crash test dummies, and we tell those stories not with regret, but with a smile.

I hope you get a great answer, I just love the image of you posting the question to a crowd half full of class clowns and daredevils.

Caca pasa
    Quote Originally Posted by muddytire View Post
    You should know that the crowd you are posing this question to is peppered with riders who've used cheap (or no) helmets for years, or even decades. We've suffered more blunt force trauma and head injuries than a bus full of crash test dummies, and we tell those stories not with regret, but with a smile.

I hope you get a great answer, I just love the image of you posting the question to a crowd half full of class clowns and daredevils.
    Ha! Less than 550 posts, yet so full of wisdom!

Cheap helmet buyer here, yet I have most of my faculties left. As a matter of fact, raisin blush cornhole pretty good yes meeork
    "합니다 행사에서 디비 판매 합니다 관련해" Lesleybien

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by john67 View Post
    there are 2 meh technologies purported to help minimize brain injury which are mips and koroyd...
    fify
    Do the math.

WillWorkForTrail
    The best helmet is one that you wear. I'd love to take the time to dig up the link to the consumer reports(?) article that shows that the cheapest walmart helmet offers as good protection as the most expensive bike shop helmet of a similar design (ie open face vs open face or full face vs full face) due to the fact that they ALL have to meet certain consumer standards. The differences start to come in with weight and ventilation in most cases, and in some cases, fit. Lone Ranger is correct in indicating that none of the additional technologies extant have been proven to reduce the risk of brain injury. That said, MIPS made enough sense to me, in theory, for me to try on several MIPS helmets when I last shopped for a helmet. Because the MIPS system seemed to create a better fit for me (I've always had fit issues with helmets, long oval shaped head, if you know anything about hat fitment) I ended up buying a fairly pricey MIPS job, but I has mount areas for cameras and lights, and is by far the most comfortable helmet I've ever owned.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is this. You won't want to wear a helmet that isn't comfortable. So figure out how much you're willing to pay to keep your melon intact then go try on helmets. When you find a comfortable helmet, buy it from the place you tried it on, or next time you go helmet shopping, you might not find so many places to try helmets on.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by John67 View Post
    There are 2 good technologies to help minimize brain injury which is MIPs and koroyd. I can't seem to find any full face ones that have both.

I see $160 full face helmets with MIPs, with EPS foam, and fiberglass material. Then I see $200 ones with the exact same things except it may have more ventilation holes.

Am I missing something?

There are helmets made of other materials besides fiberglass, such as carbon and other polymer. But how important is that. From what I know fiberglass is quite strong.
    Order of preferences when buying helmet first time:
    1. price (only a maniac would give more than 50$ for helmet)
    2. color
    3. fit (its ok if it wiggles a little, i'll just tighten straps under my chin more)

Order of preferences when buying AFTER involved in serious crash:
    1. fit (must be perfect fit)
    2. color
    3. price (doesn't matter really, my head is worth more than any helmet out there, more protect features it has the better)

:-)

mtbr member
    You have not said what type of helmet you are looking for Full Face or open face? Personally I'm not sure any of those technologies are so great and bring more protection to their design and aren't marketing hype, just saying as have no experience. Will say, that as Cotharyus said, the best one is the one you actually wear. If you're looking at an open face, trail oriented helmet, there are loads of good ones on the market, actually depending on your head size you can find quite a few good ones left over from last year at serious discount. Best bet is to actually go into a store and try on as many as you can and see which fits you best, get that one.

As for this forum being full of people who grew up when helmets "were not a thing" and survived, yeah, I'm in that crowd and yeah I survived, but I'm fairly certain that if I had been wearing a helmets back then, my brain wouldn't be as scrambled as it is now
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

Nothing seems to kill me
    We don't need no stinking helmets.
    I don't wear no helmets and I don'ts have no issues with my brains, I mean I don't wear no helmets and I doesn't have no issues with my brains, Oh wait, where was I, oh yeah, I don't wear no helmets and I don'ts have no issues with my brains.

Smith Forefront with Mips and Koroyd for me. Fits well, a little warm on hot days. Before that a host of Urge offerings.
    I like saying MIPS..
    Thought I was high, thought I was free, thought I was there, divine destiny, I was wrong, This changes everything.

U sayin' Bolt ?
    A helmet is the one thing I buy from the lbs. Try as many as possible and pick the one that fits the best. Right now I am wearing a 'women's' road helmet that fits like a glove.

fRIDEday makes me happy!
    From what I have read the main difference between a cheaper helmet and a more expensive one is the weight and air flow. Lighter and more flow while maintaining standard requirements for safety.

I find that certain brands fit my head better. Bell works well for me but many Giro helmets just don't feel right. Strange thing is that my snowboard helmet is a Giro and fits like a glove.

As mentioned above getting into a store to try helmets on then supporting that store by purchasing from them will give you the best chance of getting the right helmet.

As for MIPS and other tech that is coming out I feel these will be good improvements and have friends that now swear by them after a crash.

I have amassed a small pile of helmets from both mountain biking and snowboarding that have saved what is left of my brain. As an attempt to be a good role model to my kids I always have a helmet on when on any bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    You talking fiberglass, then you're talkin DH full face. I dont think there are any open face helmets made currently that are fiberglass. Its strong, but heavy. Carbon is almost as strong, but lighter. Open face are intended for lower speed, pretty much one and done impact. Crash it once, it crushes and cracks and is done. Most FRP helmet, the impact foam itself will crush and take only one impact too, but the shell will be more intact. Affords more protection againt pentrating objects.
    As said even the cheapest helmet meets minimum standards and in theory protects the same. More money gets you lighter, more ventilation, and more sizes to fit better.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Although it's sort of pricey, I really like my Smith Forefront. It's probably been the most comfortable helmet I've had. If I smashed it, I'd go buy another. I tend to be one of the people that will just re-buy the same thing over and over again if it's a comfort factor and it works. Of course, destroying $100+ helmets all the time could be less than ideal.

mtbr member
    Not sure if there is a "best"...but there sure are expensive ones out there. Three things I look for 1: fit, 2: weight, and 3: ventilation.

I've found that for me Kali helmets fit my semi round head the best. I have a Maraka, Maya, and a Avatar 2. Plus you can't beat their customer service. I spoke to one of their reps at Sea Otter about some spider webbing under the clear of my Avatar. He told me to take it to a shop and for them to contact him. Boom...two weeks later...I had a brand new helmet.

make mine a nine

Need help buying the best helmet for the money

I'm surprised no one has mentioned 6D helmets. They have a novel and arguably superior implementation of MIPS-like functionality. They do open and full face. I'm looking for an open face helmet currently and the 6D one is at the top of my list.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I wish there was a way to "like" a reply.....some funny sh!# up there

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    It's very important to protect yourself while riding a bike. My coworker from termpapers.me used to not wear a helmet. So now he is lying in a hospital. Let it be the example for you.