Need a good chamois recommendation, please.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Need a good chamois recommendation, please.

I've got a few different pairs that I've been riding in for the last few years. Some I really like and others, not so much.

I have 2 pairs of liners from Zoic, the ones that come with their Ether shorts. They've been OK, not stellar, but OK. I have also ridden in Canari gel liners from REI. They are awesome when new but I find that they degrade in comfort fairly quickly, like not even a whole season before I start to notice a significant difference in comfort - not because they stretch, etc. I have also ridden in a lower-end Pearl Izumi liner that came with one of their Mtb shorts. It isn't the elite level but can't remember exactly what they are.

Anyway, I'm looking for a new pair of liners or full spandex that will give me comfort and last longer than 1/2 a season. I don't need baggies, have a few.

What should I be looking at? Thanks.

Cow Clicker
    King. I like my Canari Evolution Extreme Bib.
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Like the Pearl Izumi liners with 3D chamois. They also have a 4D, not sure if it's available as a liner.
    There are companies that just sell the chamois but the sewing won't be cheap unless you do it yourself. Aerotechdesigns.com is one.
    agmtb

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Yeah, definitely not interested in doing any sewing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Sugoi makes some really nice shorts in the RS and RS pro (I belive is the name). That is all I wear and I love them, but they are not cheap. The RS are about $130 locally and $100 on the net, the pro version is $150 locally and $130 on the net.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Tjay, how long/many miles do those usually last you? The cheap Canari I've gotten in the past feel good but seem to feel like crap quicker than I thought they should. I get almost a season out of them but they are only $30.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by abegold View Post
    Like the Pearl Izumi liners with 3D chamois. They also have a 4D, not sure if it's available as a liner.
    There are companies that just sell the chamois but the sewing won't be cheap unless you do it yourself. Aerotechdesigns.com is one.
    +1 for this, relatively cheap ($35) good wicking, padding and I usually wear them in the summer with thinner shorts/gym shorts and they stay dry/dry quickly

mtbr member
    Sewing chamois in place is among the most complex of sewing operations, the placement has to be just right, it needs to be stretched in some directions and relaxed in others, and it's best done with a multiple thread serger/overlock machine.

It's not something I'd do myself, and it's not something most alterations places will do well. Some factories that sew bike shorts don't even do it that well and those that do typically only have one or two people who specialize in sewing pads in place.
    "...DirtBaggies may also be the best baggy mountain bike shorts on the market." Velonews - Click to check out other reviews.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by abegold View Post
    They do have 4D, I got them. Best thing ever!

mtbr member
    Hammer Nutrition shorts or bibs are great. Either thier standard shorts or Bergamo bibs have great chamois. Standard spandex shorts works great under baggies.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tjay74 View Post
    sugoi makes some really nice shorts in the rs and rs pro (i belive is the name). That is all i wear and i love them, but they are not cheap. The rs are about $130 locally and $100 on the net, the pro version is $150 locally and $130 on the net.
    +1_

ready to ride
    I have had good luck with Louis Garneau. I try to ride several times a week, some times more some times less and they get washed and dried almost every ride. they have held up great. I can't tell in degradation in the chamois from the washing and drying. I will say if I know I am not going to ride the next day I try to air dry them but they get thrown in the dryer plenty. I think I have the Liberty 2s which are baggy shorts with a built in chamois/unremovable liner.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    LBS talked me into these new Serfas shorts( $80) that were baggies w/detachable a gel chamois. So far so good but they tend to run on the smaller sidet . All my other chamios's are getting destroyed by the washing machine so the foam is breaking apart. Time will tell but they are pretty nice for the price. The chamios in Fox's shorts have been hit and miss for me. Usual when the chamois is toast I just throw them away and atleast have a good outer short.
    Peace from Hell...

bab74 on GORC

Cow Clicker
    Quick tip: I get in the shower with my gear and just rinse - no soap, wring it out (careful with the chamois) and let it all air dry. It smells fine. I have worn the same Canari Evolution bib, Sugoi jersey, Prana shorts, Giro gloves and Giro helmet for the past 800 miles and washed the bib, shorts and jersey in the machine twice - no dryer. That was only to get dirt and mud out. This extends the life of my riding gear significantly.
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I have around 2500 miles on my riding shorts and they are still in great shape and work well. I going against the norm though as I still wear underwear with my riding shorts. I let mine air dry each night and neer put them in the dryer when they are washed as well.

So far so good.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Ok, so far every pair of "good" liners/shorts seem to be pretty pricey - as in $100+. I will try another pair of the Canari liners for now and hand wash them instead if the washing machine to see if that makes a difference. I never put my liners in the dryer so that isn't the problem.
    If I could drop the money on a nice pair I would but this is at the bottom of my list of "needs" to justify $150 on shorts. I can get 5 pairs of the "disposables" for that.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I'm really happy with a budget pair of Voler bib shorts I got on closeout. The decals have scratched off over the year but the pad is still in good shape. Mostly hand washed, never machine dried. I'll be ordering some of their higher end stuff this winter (hoping for a closeout)

Members who have read this thread: 0