Need a classy commuter bag- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Need a classy commuter bag

I'm currently using a Columbia Elite One on my work commute, which does the job nicely, but I'm finding increasingly that on days I need to look more formal (slightly - no coats and ties here) I need to transfer my gear into a shoulder bag and hop on the train.

Obviously that's inconvenient, and today I left the work keys in my other bag.

So, can anyone recommend a nice-ish looking bag that's comfortable to wear on a bike? I'm not a huge fan of Crumplers, and I'm thinking more along the lines of a triangular sling bag, but all suggestions welcome.

powered by peanut butter.
    Maybe something like this? canvas shoulder bag

I haven't used this bag, but I've been eyeing it recently. I use their commuter backpack, and I've been pleased with the quality and comfort on the bike, though I have had to repair some stitching around a couple buckles.
    "Never trust a man in a blue trench coat. Never drive a car when you're dead." -- Tom Waits

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks.

What sort of strappage does that thing have? I've got a couple of good shoulder bags, but they're too slidey to ride with.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I use a timbuk2 medium sized messenger bag for everything. Its my briefcase, it has a laptop sleeve. I can put a weeks worth of groceries in it. And its nice enough that I can fit in in a fairly formal environment. Timbuk2 is made in the USA and you can design how you want it to look. It does not move around much at all. It has a cross strap that keeps it from moving much. I like mine.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Opps! I should of read the OP more carefully! Just in case (I like my crumpler)...

I use a crumpler messenger bag for commuting and general everyday use... I just realised I've had it for over 9 years! It looks stylish, actually quite similar to the timbuk2. The best feature is the 'third leg' which is a strap that comes from the main shoulder strap and attaches to the bag, so it never slips! You can blast down flights of stairs, jump things and the bag never slips off your shoulder.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    While I think that my white with fat reflective strip rubberized Sunlite single strap looks like something a 90's raver would use (embarrassed but like the saftey of it), some girls on campus have told me that they think it's classier than wjat most guys are using. It holds a thin outfit with undergarments, slim-soled canvas shoes, a calc book, notebook, calculator, pens, keys, chain lock and wallet just perfectly. It does slide when I'm in a tuck, elsewise it stays put.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Duderino View Post
    While I think that my white with fat reflective strip rubberized Sunlite single strap looks like something a 90's raver would use (embarrassed but like the saftey of it), some girls on campus have told me that they think it's classier than wjat most guys are using.
    Now, if you could go back a decade or so and tell that to student me...

I found the nice-ish looking Topo sling bag, but I'm not in Topo's target market and it looks pretty back sweaty if you're pushing a ride.

Flow like water
    If you are serious, try the Porter's bag from the Wm. Gibson collection.

Porter x Buzz Rickson x William Gibson

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Tumi makes some nice messengers and back packs as well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Goodordering bags by Jacqui Ma — Kickstarter

Check out these, just came across them the other day. Probably not exactly what you're looking for but thought I'd share. Familiarize yourself with Kickstarter (if you've never dealt with it) before making a decision.

mtbr member
    I have one of these; Zimbale Traditional 18 Liter Saddle Bags Reviews , and it works great for my commute. It has D rings for a shoulder strap as well.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

Biker Boater Boarder
    Check out Mountain Hardwaear's bike msg bag with recycled rubber......ive had mine a few years and it has been taking the abuse of daily riding in a fire truck and a bike and it holds up well!!
    Adios,
    "Chaco"

Lots of kids tell me they want to be firefighters when they grow up, I tell them they can't do both!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I will second the Timbuk2. I've got this one and I find it rather outstanding. Lots of room, and more importantly, as close to waterproof as something that isn't a drybag comes.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    +1 on the Timbuk2. I've had mine a couple months and I don't know how I got along without it. Very classy too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks for all the ideas. The Turni backpacks have caught my eye most so far, but a great list of good manufacturers in the thread.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Surprised nobody has mentioned the Chrome bags yet. I have one that I got as a gift and I never use because I don't commute and Im not into messenger bags but they are really, really well made and for the style of the bag they look really good.

Messenger Bags and Custom Bags | Chrome Industries

Patagonia makes a couple messengers too. The Black Hole is new so I haven't heard much about it but the Mass series of bags are nice, the customers at the store I work at seem to really love them, we sell a lot of them.

messenger*by Patagonia

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Chrome bags are nice, easily on the same level of quality as Timbuk2. If my store worked with them, I would have bought one.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I had a chrome bag. They are great bags and I dig the buckle on the strap. Maybe its in my head but I found that my back got sweatier than my Timbuk2 bag. Again it may be in my head but is what I found. YMMV..

mtbr member
    I rate my Chrome bag highly. Tons of space and sits very securely.

Members who have read this thread: 0