Need advice on shoes.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Need advice on shoes.

I recently purchased a new Kona Hoss Dee-Lux. I've been riding a Trek 4500 for the past year or so. The Hoss can with Shimano PD-M505 clipless pedals. Now I need some shoes since my Trek had platform type pedals. When I picked up my new bike from the dealer I tried on a pair of Shimano M180 shoes. They fit fine but where somewhat tight throughout the toe box. I wear a size 12 in most shoes and I have a wide foot. What type of shoes do you'll recommend ? Thanks for your help.

Riding a Rig.
    I found that the specialized shoes have a really nice big toe box. They are cheap too.
    "Physics is timeless. Marketing and bs never lasts. Thats been proven time and time again."
    -Dave Weagle

Feb 2005

wide and comfy

I agree with Vulcan. I had a pair of Specialized shoes a few years ago ( I believe they were the comp model) and they were really comfortable with a super stiff sole. I've got Sidi Dominators now and they are also very good but I have to say the fit is on the snug side.

Feb 2005
    Dominators come in a wide if you are looking for a race style shoe. If you are looking for a more casual shoe the Cannondale MC900 has a wider fit.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Thanks.

Hey, thanks for the info.

Feb 2005

More bike than dress shoes

Out of the five pairs that I use, I like the cheap lace-up Shimano shoes the best. The toe box is roomier than on their other shoes. I can walk easily in them and like the precision of laces to adjust fit, like climbers and hikers. I have velcro shoes too but they pick up too much vegetation. Haven't tried the Mega Sidis but have heard good things about them. I use a pair of Pearl Isumi Vagabonds in Winter. I had to hacksaw the tread away from the cleat mount but they work really well with a pair of shoe covers, the covers keep vegetation out of the velco.

Good luck,

Quote Originally Posted by jtrider
    I recently purchased a new Kona Hoss Dee-Lux. I've been riding a Trek 4500 for the past year or so. The Hoss can with Shimano PD-M505 clipless pedals. Now I need some shoes since my Trek had platform type pedals. When I picked up my new bike from the dealer I tried on a pair of Shimano M180 shoes. They fit fine but where somewhat tight throughout the toe box. I wear a size 12 in most shoes and I have a wide foot. What type of shoes do you'll recommend ? Thanks for your help.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Hey Condor,

Are you referring to the Shimano SH-MO38 lace up shoe ? If so, how stiff are the soles compared to other types of shoes ?

Thanks !
    Last edited by jtrider; 03-10-2005 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Add another question to Condor

Feb 2005

Cheaper than that, the Shimano MO21 Mountain Shoe

The thing with these shoes is that they are stiff around the ball of the foot, cleat area but lets my foot flex naturally when I walk. I have a lot of hard soled shoes, the Pearl Vagabonds are like that and the Sidis too. I wouldn't race in the MO21s but they are great for just riding.
    I had a pair of M020s that cracked behind the cleat because I walked too often in them. I rode my bike to school and just stayed in the shoe. The shoes never failed but the crack made me to nervous to wear them.
    In Summer on non-vegetation trails and for errands, I sometimes use the Shimano sandals. I live in the desert and have to watch for cactus but they are comfy.
    Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by jtrider
    Hey Condor,

Are you referring to the Shimano SH-MO38 lace up shoe ? If so, how stiff are the soles compared to other types of shoes ?

Thanks !