Need advice regarding a relatively lightweight FF helmet...- Mtbr.com

Jan 2007

Need advice regarding a relatively lightweight FF helmet...

Hey people.

I ride an Enduro, all mountain towards downhill... Looking for my first full face helmet.
    I want something relatively light and ventilated, so I would not die in slower speeds and some climbing...
    I ride in Israel and usually its pretty damn hot in here (usually around 30 degrees C).
    I tried the Specialized Deviant and it seemed a little bit too weak. What helmets would you recommend?

Jan 2007
    By the way Im interested in these models:

Specialized Deviant
    THD one composite
    Fox Rampage
    Giro Remedy CF
    661 Bravo

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Search. There are a ton of FF helmet threads.

Jackalope Hunter
    TLD D2

I got one recently and love it. A bit pricey but well worth it.
    "That which does not kill you makes you stronger"

TNC
    noMAD man
    If you're talking about a truly all-around full face, I think there are only really two decent candidates...the Specilized Deviant and a modified Pryme AL. There's hardly anything else out there that offers some real protection with real ventilation. This question usually brings out some highly charged debate. Many will say to use a real DH-style helmet like a Mad Max, Remedy, and other similar helmets, but geez...if you're actually going to wear the thing while you're riding aggressive trail in moderate or warm temps, those types of helmets will absolutely bake your head...I've tried it. I have a Mad Max...similar to a Remedy...and it's useable in pure shuttle situations where little hard pedaling is required and long ride times are not involved, but the padding and relatively limited ventilation just doesn't allow its use for all-around riding IMO.

No, I don't recommend the Deviant or Pryme AL for hardcore FR sessions or DH racing, but they are about the best thing going for the best compromise in a helmet that you can actually use all the time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

N* Bomber Crew
    I can't think of a helmet better than the Deviant Carbon, and weakness? The helmet was just certified to the newer DH bike standards (Or so I was told.)
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

moaaar shimz
    I would go with the Deviant or D2 if you have the cash, the Pryme is the worst helmet I've ever tested in my life, it feels like a wet noodle, you press the chinguard with your hand and you can bend it half way....

TNC
    noMAD man
    Yeah, I know what you mean, Raptor, on the rating and all, but even though I thoroughly love my Deviant and AL for even quite aggressive use, I still think I'd feel a little more confident with one of the more moto built/style helmets for the worst and gnarliest conditions. That said, on our group's recent trip to Moab, that riding buddy who did the neat wheelie step-up deal on Amasa doesn't wear anything more than the Deviant...and he goes quite big on all manner of stuff. I just tend to feel that the additional padding in the more moto style helmets would offer more energy absorption on a big hit...but that padding, and noticeably less ventilation, is the very thing that keeps you from being able to wear those helmets in many riding situations. I'm not dissin' the Deviant whatsoever. It's an absolutely great helmet that can be worn anytime. You'll notice I'm wearing mine...LOL!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jan 2007
    How is the ventilation and weight on the TLD D2? is there a difference b\w the different models?
    I couldnt find weight charts on the TLD site...

TNC
    noMAD man
    Tacu, I gotta say that's absolutely wrong. If anything it's the Deviant that has a more flexible chinguard. The Deviant uses a noticeably thinner fiberglass construction layup than the Pryme AL. Maybe you're talking about another Pryme model...they make several other models from wimpy to full carbon top-of-the-line types. I'm sitting here right now with two Pryme ALs and two Deviants, and there's no question that the AL is a stiffer overall helmet. Now, that doesn't mean the AL is necessarily stonger/better in a crash, but it doesn't have a comparitively noodly chinguard.

I just did something else, prompted by your post. I got my Mad Max and a Bell Moto 7 for my moto use and inspected them. They all have some noticeable shell and chinguard flex...I said flex, not a true bending of the material. I'm guessing all helmets have a degree of this and probably has something to do with their energy absorption.

I'm not trying to flame you here, but that super-flexy comment on the AL chinguard just seems totally wrong.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Bates
    Hey people.

I ride an Enduro, all mountain towards downhill... Looking for my first full face helmet.
    I want something relatively light and ventilated, so I would not die in slower speeds and some climbing...
    I ride in Israel and usually its pretty damn hot in here (usually around 30 degrees C).
    I tried the Specialized Deviant and it seemed a little bit too weak. What helmets would you recommend?

I felt the Deviant was too weak also......I am buying a Remedy.....nice padding and a lot of ventilation......I ride in 30C temps and this helmet got enough vents and protection
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I rode the Deviant for 1 weekend/race. 3 falls later, the chrome mouthpiece broke off, half of the paint was gone on the right side, and the visor was snapped. However, my D2's still running strong.

TNC
    noMAD man
    Now Bob...we all know you don't pedal anywhere. You could wear a Formula 1 Race car helmet in the Sahara, and it would just be shade for you...LOL! Just jacking with you, of course. I agree with you in general about the Deviant. It's a niche helmet, for the most part, allowing a rider to wear something other than an XC helmet during the times that it's basically impossible to wear a hot, full coverage "regular" helmet. Bob, if you wore that full coverage helmet that I normally see you in on an 80 degree day on a 15 mile trail that contained some pedaling, you'd stroke out...and no amount of Patron would bring you around...LOL! If I wore my Mad Max on an 80 degree day on Porc Rim trail at Moab for example, I'd have to stop constantly to mop up the sweat and cool off. That's the great thing about the Deviant or Pryme AL. You can wear them and work hard on the bike, yet still have way more protection than an XC lid.

N* Bomber Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    Yeah, I know what you mean, Raptor, on the rating and all, but even though I thoroughly love my Deviant and AL for even quite aggressive use, I still think I'd feel a little more confident with one of the more moto built/style helmets for the worst and gnarliest conditions. That said, on our group's recent trip to Moab, that riding buddy who did the neat wheelie step-up deal on Amasa doesn't wear anything more than the Deviant...and he goes quite big on all manner of stuff. I just tend to feel that the additional padding in the more moto style helmets would offer more energy absorption on a big hit...but that padding, and noticeably less ventilation, is the very thing that keeps you from being able to wear those helmets in many riding situations. I'm not dissin' the Deviant whatsoever. It's an absolutely great helmet that can be worn anytime. You'll notice I'm wearing mine...LOL!
    Yeah, to be honest there are a few flaws to the Deviant for DH and FR applications. I have the Deviant but I use it around Marin, CA doing DH and some Freeride. To be honest I do feel safe in my helmet, however, once, I start entering boulders the size of my car and picking up speed with trees whizzing by I start to have doubts.

I actually recently just picked up a 661 Flight Moto Helmet for Northstar riding and Racing. I know for a fact it will be really hot when it is on my head, but nothing like a nice chair lift ride to vent off my dome.

The original poster rides an enduro and seems like he just likes to rip it without going nuts. I use my Deviant for pretty moderate DH, and I used it at Downieville also. The thing vetns super well, funny you should ask about ventilation, cause I rode Downieville during CA's heatwave last year, it was about 106+ F in downieville and I was riding in the heat. My head kept cool so long as I kept moving.

I still vote Deviant. Then, if you start shredding harder and going big, get a Moto helmet.

Also, one thing I've noticed using the Deviant a lot is that the chin bar is rather long. So those ripping DH/FR may not be used to it.

Jan 2007

d

How is the Deviant C/F? is it gonna be stronger and safer?

mtbr member
    Are any of these helmets rated for more than one impact? I know most XC helmets are not. Every time my head has hit the ground hard, the foam cracks and it is time for a new lid.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    I have a very expensive head. Who's got the best DH/FR helmet out there? Shuttle or lift only, so not worried about ventilation so much.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

mtbr member
    For your descriptive riding style the Deviant will work just fine. I've crashed a few times on it and it's holding up fine. I had the older Specialized helmet, it felt stronger, more secure but way hot.
    Buddy broke his collarbone on Boyscout and cracked his CF Deviant. My med Deviant felt as light as his large CF.
    So Deviant, Pryme AL, Gyro Switchblade (not available anymore) are your best bet first FF and all mountain style.
    But even a lousy downhill run is better than a day in the office!
    "SunnyRaceGirl"

www.specialized.com

Oh, So Interesting!
    A few more comments about using the Deviant...

The fit strap in the back has broken 2x now, I have a new one but modified the one that broke... its better now

The cheek pads are too hot/tight for pedaling, imo. I made new pads that are MUCH cooler at the expense of some protection. Theres got to be a trade off. The stock pads will go back in for times when its appropriate. The setup with the new pads is amazingly well ventilated for a ff.

The velcro and padding around the mouth falls off. Superglue fixes it.

The paint chips off when you crash, but if you have the black flame color, a sharpie makes it look a lot better...

With ANY bike helmet, you need to replace it if you take a hard hit or the foam breaks.

Jan 2007

c

Ok I think Im gonna go with the Deviant C/F...
    Anybody know an online shop that has it and ships internationally?

N* Bomber Crew
    Ok I think Im gonna go with the Deviant C/F...
    Anybody know an online shop that has it and ships internationally?
    I ordered mine directly from www.specialized.com

I'm not sure which stores stock the helmets...I've never seen them at Pricepoint, Jenson, Universal Cycles, etc.

moaaar shimz
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    Tacu, I gotta say that's absolutely wrong. If anything it's the Deviant that has a more flexible chinguard. The Deviant uses a noticeably thinner fiberglass construction layup than the Pryme AL. Maybe you're talking about another Pryme model...they make several other models from wimpy to full carbon top-of-the-line types. I'm sitting here right now with two Pryme ALs and two Deviants, and there's no question that the AL is a stiffer overall helmet. Now, that doesn't mean the AL is necessarily stonger/better in a crash, but it doesn't have a comparitively noodly chinguard.

I just did something else, prompted by your post. I got my Mad Max and a Bell Moto 7 for my moto use and inspected them. They all have some noticeable shell and chinguard flex...I said flex, not a true bending of the material. I'm guessing all helmets have a degree of this and probably has something to do with their energy absorption.

I'm not trying to flame you here, but that super-flexy comment on the AL chinguard just seems totally wrong.
    Idk about it TNC, I have nothing against it but in the store where I bought my Fox Rampage I tested a red Pryme AL and I was saying like..."WTF is this", It seems good for an AM helmet but with one hand i could bend the sides and the chinguard... many many people have told me they like my Fox because they think its very solid, especially the chinguard whis is more narrow.. like a motocross helmet.. providing very very strong protection. I have only seen and touched a Deviant, but not tested..

Fox Rampage
    "It obviously shares styling cues with Fox MX lids, but the fibreglass shell has been slimmed down and an array of ventilation ports have been added. All up weight is 1,165g, which compared to the recently tested Specialized Deviant is a tad heavier, but the Rampage clearly has a degree of extra solidity. The two helmets indicate an interesting contrast in approach - the Deviant is a pumped-up bicycle helmet, the Rampage mroe of a slimmed-down motorbike helmet."

http://www.bikemagic.com/news/articl...N/5235/v/1/sp/

"It wasn't until a seriously brutal crash at Mt. St. Anne that the helmet finally failed, after a face first dive at extremely high speed. Even then, it was just the mouth guard that cracked, and it did its job by keeping Antoine's head as pretty as it started."

http://www.dropmachine.com/Reviews/p2_articleid/317

mtbr member
    The Azonic T-55 was quite light and well ventilated, but was phased out. Anyone know why?

Jan 2007
    Hi people - If I had to choose from this site:

http://www.jensonusa.com/

Which one would you go for?

Jun 2005
    Hi people - If I had to choose from this site:

http://www.jensonusa.com/

Which one would you go for?
    azonic fury. cheap, strong, not the best ventilated but you can't really flaw it at its price. hell, fabien barel rides one! (a 661 strike, which is the exact same helmet)

TNC
    noMAD man
    Bates, I think the bottom line is that you may need two helmets...something like the Deviant or Pryme AL for aggressive trail/light FR, and then a helmet in the Mad Max, Remedy vein. Your temps are more like we have in west Texas, and there's no honest way to wear a true full coverage beefy helmet like many mentioned here for any real trail use. Personally I just won't wear an open face helmet anymore for anything bigger than a bike path type of trail...but then who wants to ride their bike on that kind of trail...LOL! Get two helmets, and you'll have all the bases covered for all of your "real" MTB use.

When in doubt, go faster
    Unless your in britian, you cant buy specialized stuff except from their autorized dealer locations or their webiste.

N* Bomber Crew
    Yeah I'm doing the two helmet setup, seems practical.

Specialized Deviant: For average riding around here, Downhilling on some mild terrain and adventure riding.

661 Flight: For Northstar, Mammoth, Racing and anything where I am riding really hard DH.

But this is NOT a cheap setup. The Deviant retails for 140 I think? And the Flight retails for 300....so thats 440 in helmets.

When in doubt, go faster
    130+440=too Much Money!

N* Bomber Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by =ChrisB=
    130+440=too Much Money!
    Well Matt hooked it up and I only paid 135 for the 661. Its dope too!

Jan 2007
    Ok, Ive tried the Deviant and it seem a little bit TOO cushion-less...and Im willing to pay a little bit more.
    Im looking for something lightweight (less than 900g) and ventilated. I think the 661 Comp was alright (had a lot of ventilation holes on the top), and also it didnt look like a water-mellon on my head.
    The only problem is that the helmet shape doesnt fit my head - the chin protector is to flat and close (I need a helmet with a more pointy chinguard).
    How is the 661 Bravo?

N* Bomber Crew
    Ok, Ive tried the Deviant and it seem a little bit TOO cushion-less...and Im willing to pay a little bit more.
    Im looking for something lightweight (less than 900g) and ventilated. I think the 661 Comp was alright (had a lot of ventilation holes on the top), and also it didnt look like a water-mellon on my head.
    The only problem is that the helmet shape doesnt fit my head - the chin protector is to flat and close (I need a helmet with a more pointy chinguard).
    How is the 661 Bravo?
    No man, the 661 Comp is terrible, I owned one and it was the sole reason I went with a Deviant. If you're questioning padding then I don't know what to say, cause the padding is typically what drives up the heat factor.

What kind of riding do you do? I say unless you're doing ski resort riding, racing DH, or doing some death-defying stuff then the Deviant should be okay. But again, I can't stress this enough, you're only as safe as you feel with your helmet on.

The Pryme seems like a okay choice, but there aren't other helmets I can think of that are as cool as the Deviant...

Members who have read this thread: 0