My Seca looks like ET on top of my helmet- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2005

My Seca looks like ET on top of my helmet

I love my new Seca 400 but wish the helmet mount was a little lower profile. My wife lovingly told me it looks like I have ET sitting on top of my helmet. I tried to see if it would fit in the old Arc mount but the casing of the light hits the sides.

Other than that it is a fantastic light and surprisingly bright even on the medium setting.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'd be proud to have ET sitting on top of my helmet. As long as it works well, I'd have no complaints. I have used really low profile mounts that make the beam hit the visor.

He be a moose too.
    I very much prefer the lower profile to avoid objects. To avoid the visor issue, I take it off when I night ride and lately, have been forgetting to put it back on, so maybe I don't need it that often.

mtbr remember
    Do you ride a Kuwahara too? Now that would be awesome.

Those Seca's are awesome lights, a friend has the 700 and its beam pattern is excellent.... but it's just too bad they are so oddly shaped, so out of place on either a bar, or more so a helmet (IMO).
    It's too bad helmets and lights can't be more integrated (too user specific, too many options/brands/fits/styles/etc) Think, small-scale hood of WRC night-stage rally car molded onto helmet w/ heatsink around bezel! nice thought, but won't happen.
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I bought 2 Seca 700's. 1 for bars and 1 for helmet. Before I ever used them I tried to lower profile with a ARC helmet mount. It didnt work so its periscope head for me!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

How's the weight?

How's the weight of the SECA 700? Does it feel a lot heavier than the ARCs? It's only about 15 grams heavier, but I can feel it if my ARC isn't positioned right on my helmet. Asking before I blow a wade of $$ the SECA 700 ultra.- Bob
    Sir Dabs-alot

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Not sure but if it is heavier than the ARC, that would not be an improvement in the weight category...not when lights like the Lupine Tesla (around $470) are weighing ~100 grams...and I'm a L&M fan. I think the ARC was ~140 grams. I don't want any more weight on the helmet.

My Wilma is ~125 and feels great. If the Tesla is 25 grams less, I may get it. I also like the beam pattern in the pics....would be cool to compare the Seca to the 800L, Wilma, and Tesla.
    Last edited by Flyer; 10-15-2008 at 09:07 PM.

BBW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    would be cool to compare the Seca to the 800L, Wilma, and Tesla.
    tha would be awesome!!!!!!

mtbr member
    the seca's have the same light which weighs about 200 grams. The battery is what is bigger when you step up to the 700. So either way the light on the helmet will weight the same

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I have a helmet just for light/night rides.ARC and Seca 700 are not a issue on my helmet at all.Maybe its the helmet or the fit of it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I just picked up my Seca 700 last night and was having trouble using the helmet mount strap with my Giro helmet. Seemed like the velcro would not reach from some air vents and was way too much from others so I tried mounting the light without the velcro helmet mount. I just used the rubber strap that is attached to the light and then rotated the head of the light to face forward.
    The only issue may be the vertical angle is not adjustable. I briefly walked around in the back yard and the angle seemed fine. I need to ride test this mounting. Hopefully the angle works when riding as this method will be less weight and lower profile.

mtbr member
    Seca sucks as a helmet light IMO, its too big and heavy. Always falling down and then I have to crink my neck to keep the light where I want or reach up and re-adjust it. It does rock as a handlebar mounted light though which is where I intend to keep it

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Yody
    Seca sucks as a helmet light IMO, its too big and heavy. Always falling down and then I have to crink my neck to keep the light where I want or reach up and re-adjust it. It does rock as a handlebar mounted light though which is where I intend to keep it
    Seca is actually quite light, but it sit 4 inches high on your helmet that you'll hit every low branch if you are not careful. A friend loan it to me to try out the lux reading compare to the HID storm, TT 30wHID and my home made lights 4led copperhead fatman ssc p4.

HID storm Niterider 19lux
    TT 30watt HID flood 65 lux
    Seca 700 41lux
    4led copperhead fatman 43lux

lux reading that is different in every room and every setting.

using rebels for the seca are a great idea allowing them to pack into a smaller package, but I don't think they were driven at enough current.

Known Mountainbiker
    Yep. I have to agree that the Seca not being backward compatible to the other helmet mounts 5ucks. With that said, I made a thicker spacer that fits the old mount to the Seca and it's all good now. Mom wanted me to be a Doctor; good thing I followed in my Father's footsteps and became a ToolMaker.

Caz
    I am a Mountain Biker therefore I am late

mtbr member
    Seca light itself weighs 120 grams, the Dinotte I just got in weighs 58 grams or so. Dinotte battery weighs 130 or so so the 185 advertised grams is fairly accurate.

Also I hit my head quite often so the seca on the helmet didn't work so well

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cazloco
    Yep. I have to agree that the Seca not being backward compatible to the other helmet mounts 5ucks. With that said, I made a thicker spacer that fits the old mount to the Seca and it's all good now. Mom wanted me to be a Doctor; good thing I followed in my Father's footsteps and became a ToolMaker.

Caz

Any chance of making a couple more spacers? I would love to use my old mount.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

My first impressions of the Seca 700

It's a nice light. Plenty bright, but not much brighter than my ARC HID. A better beam pattern, with more light closer to the front wheel for better peripheral vision(less tunnel vision) and reaching out further than the ARC. Better color deliniation. I hate the helmet mount! At 20 degrees on a long winter's night, I don't think that rubber strap is going to do the job. I liked the helmet mount on by ARC. I liked the clicky thing. Click it up a couple on the fast down hills and blasting along on wide open singletrack, click it down a couple for long, steep climbs, click all the way down on stops to keep from blinding your buddies while chatting with them. I think I might try to modify my old ARC mount to use with the Seca. For those that have done it, please supply instructions and pics on how you used your old mount on your new Seca. - Bob
    Sir Dabs-alot

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I agree on every point. I tried to mount my Seca to my ARC helmet mount ...It wont fit without some mods.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

I will buy one too

I will buy one too

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by sevencycle
    I agree on every point. I tried to mount my Seca to my ARC helmet mount ...It wont fit without some mods.
    I tried the ol mount as well. I love the light but hate the mount. If anyone has the solution let us know. Maybe Light & Motion will come up with something.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Call L&M and let them know. Power in numbers!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I agree the helmet mount does not seem to be a great mount.

Try mounting the light to your helmet without using the Velcro strap mount at all.

With my helmet I am able to use the attached rubber strap thru two air vents that are close together. This may not work on all helmets as they all seem to have different ventilation.

The only downside is you canít adjust the vertical angle. I am going to place a couple rubber shims on my helmet under the front of the mount that will give me the angle I need while riding.

"Casual Rider"
    Just found the tread while looking for a better solution to what I've been working on over the past few rides with this 700 and the periscope helmet mount.

The only thing that I have been happy with so far was to mount the light far back on my helmet. My helmet sweeps down a bit towards the back & brings the light down and tucks it in a bit. It doesn't shadow my head & I don't lose any light but my riding partners state it looks "odd" with the glare of a yellow planet.....

Has anyone tried some sort of direct mount from the bottom?
    Rule #5 almost always applies!

Members who have read this thread: 0