My new Helmet!- Mtbr.com

Thread: My new Helmet!

Kneel Before Your Master

My new Helmet!

Well I went and tried on helmet after helmet and the one that felt the best was the Giro Atmos road helmet. I liked everything about it. The feel, vents, style, etc... So I headed home to find a good deal on the internet and the cheapest I could find was $120. So I went to ebay and found one and won the auction for $59. It has slight scratches but I don't think it will matter. What do you guys think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEAFB:IT
    Last edited by mbogosia; 01-04-2005 at 07:46 PM.

Upgrade-itis
    Nov 2004

scratched = wrecked on?

You should make sure that the helmet didn't go through an accident... I would personally not trust a helmet used from someone with a big scratch on it, looks like from road contact. Also, the seller didn't mention anything about it not being in an accident, etc, like he is trying to avoid talking about it. For something that is supposed to protect the second most important part of my body I would cough up the loot for a new helmet. Sorry, not what you want to hear.

Kneel Before Your Master
    Yeah, I asked him and he said that the helmet is in great condition except for the scratch. But yes you are right I am taking a risk on this. That will really suck if I get screwed!
    I should be fine, I hope.

self destructive
    i will second buying a new helmet only

Upgrade-itis
    Nov 2004

should be fine, yes

I agree, you should be fine, but still... Just try not to test it out too much

Feb 2004
    Helmets are like underwear. Go new.

Ouch, I am hot!
    Quote Originally Posted by mbogosia
    Yeah, I asked him and he said that the helmet is in great condition except for the scratch. But yes you are right I am taking a risk on this. That will really suck if I get screwed!
    I should be fine, I hope.
    No, you will be fine That is, until you crash on your head. However, since you purchased a used helmet, it looks like you have done that already. Get a new helmet.
    I AM JUST A JERK

Jan 2004
    Well I went and tried on helmet after helmet and the one that felt the best was the Giro Atmos road helmet. I liked everything about it. The feel, vents, style, etc... So I headed home to find a good deal on the internet and the cheapest I could find was $120. So I went to ebay and found one and won the auction for $59. It has slight scratches but I don't think it will matter. What do you guys think?
    The scratches look very much like they came from a crash, and if so it probably wasn't worth $9.

For my way of thinking a helmet is the last item I would buy used.

What is up with the helmet being located in the Ukraine, and the seller in New Zealand?

John W.

1946:2006:2066

i have a scratched atmos...

but i wouldn't give it away. saved my knoggin last summer. the atmos is one tough helmet
    but like all helmets it's a one-hit wonder. the shell held up but the inner may have suffered
    compression you can't see. still debating if i should go for the crash replacement but since
    it's winter i have time to think about it. ( took me 6 months to recover ).

buy new...

michael
    "Be not afraid of going slowly but only of standing still." - Chinese Proverb

Kneel Before Your Master
    Now I really feel like an idiot. I did not know these helmets were not good after getting scratched! So the actual foam underneath it can be damaged even if it didn't penetrate the outer shell. I have fallen on my current helmet(Giro Havoc) a couple times and it has been fine. I realize what you guys are saying and I would not have bought it if I knew all of this. Well I'll have to wait and see how it looks. Thanks

Kneel Before Your Master
    I just contacted the seller. I feel that if the helmet is no good after 1 crash which it isn't then he should not have been selling it.(Even though I admit to being a retard) Waiting for his response. I called Giro and they said they would inspect it for free and offer me the 30% off if it is no good. So no matter what I will make sure my head is safe b4 using this.

Ouch, I am hot!
    I have fallen on my current helmet(Giro Havoc) a couple times and it has been fine.
    Yes again, until you crack your skull. Don't use this one either dude.
    I AM JUST A JERK

1946:2006:2066

some further clarification...

and a gentle admonishment...

My accident was on my road bike. A moments inattention and I found myself waking up
    on the concrete. I was out for some couple of minutes. To make a long story short I
    had a mild concession, a fractured pelvis and torn rib cartilage. I had done a full body
    slam endo. The only obvious damage to the atmos was road abrasion at the temples.
    I attribute the helmet not fracturing to the carbon middle layer. But it's waiting for
    either retirement or replacement. If I wear it again and a similar accident happens it
    just might completely come apart, that and the inner foam has already been compromised.

If you can't get out of the deal accept this as one of those life lessons we all go through,
    and go for Giro's 30% discount on a new one regardless of what their testing reveals.
    It shouldn't be too hard to convince them this is what you would prefer.

michael
    "Be not afraid of going slowly but only of standing still." - Chinese Proverb

L1MEY
    Helmets are one hit wonders. Even if you can't see any damage, you're better off replacing it every time you crash and land on your head. I'd even go as far as replacing mine if I dropped it heavily on a hard surface like down a concrete staircase or something. Used helmets are a no go.

Feb 2004

We don't pay full price for equiptment--we pay for warranties.

I would buy everything used--such as electronics and bike equipment--except for the fact that used equipment isn't backed by a warranty. If you buy something used, you have to consider the possibility that something might go wrong or be wrong with it in a short while and you'll just have to buy a new one or pay the money to get it fixed. (I buy used things all the time by the way, and often end up having to get them repaired, but the prices I get on them initially make the purchases worth it.)

Some things are reliable used and especially for the right price. I'm sorry to say, a helmet would not be one of those things. As a matter of fact, I'm replacing my current helmet, which has been crashed but doesn't show a scratch, simply because I've had it for three years and don't feel I can depend on a three year old helmet in a bad crash. I'll keep it as a loaner for the helmetless riding partners who come along--better than nothing to save a friend from horrible injury.

After all, my helmet is the one thing that's going to save my life! I have a whole lot of bones I wouldn't mind breaking if I could trade them for cracking my skull.

I'd love to say, congradualations, great deal, but personally I wouldn't buy a used helmet even, and perhaps especially, if it was new in the box without a warranty.

Helmet manufacturers do have crash replacement warranties by the way--and for quite a stretch of time--even if you drop it off a cliff or deliberately smack your head against a wall. Definitely worth the extra bucks.