My helmet saved my life (again)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2006

My helmet saved my life (again)

Menso, a Dutch colleague of mine and I were riding some fun trails in Santa Cruz yesterday. We had crossed Empire Grade road into Wilder Ranch State Park, where we took the first single track on the left. I had never ridden that trail before, but felt pretty comfortable following Menso and doing some small jumps. However, all of a sudden Menso is yelling out "go right, big drop here", but it was too late for me. There was a giant log across the trail with the whole area in front of it filled up with dirt, so I didn't see the 2+ feet drop until I was fully committed. That was too much for my very limited jumping skills and I landed at a 45 degree angle on my front wheel, slammed the top of my head onto the dirt and catapulted my bike up side down further down the trail. I rolled over once more until I came to rest face down on the trail. I had to stay there for a few minutes to recollect myself and check for movement in all limbs.
    Fortunately, the only damages were a sore neck, a bruise on the knee, a cramp in my calf and a cracked helmet. We rode (Old Cabin, Twin Oaks, Zane Gray, and back to Hwy 9 Rincon parking) on for another three hours after the crash, thanks to that helmet! I'll go buy a new one today. Don't leave home without it!

- J.L.
    Also known as Menso's dad.

aka baycat
    That log has a reputation (if it is the one I think you speak of).

rho
    Life is strange
    Glad to hear that you're doing ok...
    Sounds like crash that could have been a lot worse, but wasn't.

Make sure to see if your neck is still doing ok in a couple of days.

Let's ride
    Wowsers. Glad you're so OK after such a crash. We call that "Derek's log", after bustamove. You thinking about getting that neck x-rayed?

That trail doesn't exist, so we won't talk about it.

RJG
    mtbr member
    Roll right, jump left! I nearly killed myself the first time over that thing.

Capricious youth...
    Who makes your helmet.

Check with them for a crash replacement policy. Bell, Diro, THE... they all hook it up as far as new helmets for a heavily discounted price.
    Meh.

Oct 2008
    It's refreshing to see that silly sensationalism is alive and well.

Dec 2008
    I would think things like that would happen when your riding with a guy named "Menso".

horn doggie
    I used to manual-to-bunny-hop over that log before it was built up at the lead up to it. Not that it exists or anything. Or that trail.

Where is that again? Water Dog?
    Wanted:

Potts, Potts, Potts

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Three years ago on my birthday ride, Derek went off that log and broke his collar bone good. Doctor said he never saw such a bad break. You're lucky you didn't hurt yourself badly. Scold your son for not warning you sooner about that!
    Can we talk tires now?

190lbs of climber
    Quote Originally Posted by The Law
    Three years ago on my birthday ride, Derek went off that log and broke his collar bone good. Doctor said he never saw such a bad break. You're lucky you didn't hurt yourself badly. Scold your son for not warning you sooner about that!
    Don't blame me. JL decided that some trail heard about on the internets sounded cool. I warned him about it in general, and let him know that it had some "mandatory obstacles" but Mr Stubborn Dutchman wouldn't listen. I also yelled "drop" and "go right" as I jumped the very unspectacular (maybe 1.5') glorified curb.
    ye' old trailblog: www.most-excellent-adventures.com THE BAY AREA... WHERE IF IT'S FUN, IT'S ILLEGAL

It's about showing up.

JL, you are your own worst enemy!

One would think that after all these years you would knwo better than to follow Menso. I hope you are okay. MM

Lusus Naturae
    I was riding the area solo once and tried that trail out. Its a tricky trail. Its fun and its fast and then there are a bunch of logs where its easy to go on the LEFT side. I think I know the one you're talking about because when I came up on it I was going to go left again but decided to just stop and check it out. Sure enough, the drop was on the left side this time.

Oh and how did you like the ending of the trail? Kinda stupid eh?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Yes, following Menso on a new trail is not a good idea. (OK, call me an idiot). Usually he's so much faster that I lose sight of him in a turn or two, but we had just regrouped prior to log.
    Anyway, I'm glad that all I have is a stiff neck, a cracked helmet and another lesson learned. I'm going to practice jumping 6" curbs first - land on both wheels. Then I'll move up to Francis' ramp on his driveway.
    - J.L.

P.S. I hope Derek has fully recovered from his broken collar bone. I've seen him riding again.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by NoBalance

Oh and how did you like the ending of the trail? Kinda stupid eh?
    Even without the crash I would have walked that last rocky section to the creek. Menso climbed back up to ride my bike down as well after slipping and sliding his hard tail single speed down it.

- J.L.

IPAs make me wanna puke.
    Dec 2004
    Your crash sounds identical to the one I took there a couple years ago. I was following someone that had warned me about the log, but he got ahead of me as I saw him hit the log. He hit the left side so smoothly that I concluded that THAT couldn't be the log he had warned me about...oops. I broke my helmet and walked away with a sore neck and shoulders. Could have been much, MUCH worse. Glad to hear you are okay.

Get out there and practice jumping. It will come. I hit that log with no problem these days.
    My presence would be the equivalent of painting lamb's blood on your frame, causing the "angel of crash" to nail me instead.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Someone broke their neck there late summer. And yes, Bustamove shattered his collarbone. That log is really dangerous because it is unlike any of the dozens of logs in there.

Maybe a warning or a down ramp is called for?

I give a big warning speech to all riders every time I go to that log. But I've never been there so it never happened.

fc

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by JL de Jong
    Menso, a Dutch colleague of mine and I were riding some fun trails in Santa Cruz yesterday. We had crossed Empire Grade road into Wilder Ranch State Park, where we took the first single track on the left. I had never ridden that trail before, but felt pretty comfortable following Menso and doing some small jumps. However, all of a sudden Menso is yelling out "go right, big drop here", but it was too late for me. There was a giant log across the trail with the whole area in front of it filled up with dirt, so I didn't see the 2+ feet drop until I was fully committed. That was too much for my very limited jumping skills and I landed at a 45 degree angle on my front wheel, slammed the top of my head onto the dirt and catapulted my bike up side down further down the trail. I rolled over once more until I came to rest face down on the trail. I had to stay there for a few minutes to recollect myself and check for movement in all limbs.
    Fortunately, the only damages were a sore neck, a bruise on the knee, a cramp in my calf and a cracked helmet. We rode (Old Cabin, Twin Oaks, Zane Gray, and back to Hwy 9 Rincon parking) on for another three hours after the crash, thanks to that helmet! I'll go buy a new one today. Don't leave home without it!

- J.L.
    Impostor!

I rode with the real J.L. some time ago and on a 5 minute downhill, we waited 10 minutes. I was going to call 911 but his son said. "He's fine. Just reallllly cautious...'

What have you done with the real J.L. you alien abductor?

fc

IPAs make me wanna puke.
    Dec 2004
    Did the person that broke their neck recover? No way to really give a warning on a trail that doesn't exist unless you are with someone. Right side has a ramp, or, so I've heard...
    My presence would be the equivalent of painting lamb's blood on your frame, causing the "angel of crash" to nail me instead.

IPAs make me wanna puke.
    Dec 2004
    Sounds like J.L. is becoming........a mountain biker.

mtbr member
    Man, they made the Giro Switchback for guys like you!

Good you are ok!

Let's ride
    Quote Originally Posted by francois

I give a big warning speech to all riders every time I go to that log. But I've never been there so it never happened.

fc
    You guys are talking about that one trail, with the tree on the left, off that one road? Viscous dog that chases you about 1/2 way through?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rensho
    You guys are talking about that one trail, with the tree on the left, off that one road? Viscous dog that chases you about 1/2 way through?
    No one knows what you're talking about. As an aside, I haven't seen the dog there in quite some time.
    Can we talk tires now?

Resident Curmudgeon
    re broken neck

if its the person I'm thinking of with full sleve tats that did it 2 years ago, yes he is up and around and working at REI
    Warning: Consumption of alcohol may make you think the person on the barstool next to you is attractive

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

ho hum

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Fagerlin
    It's refreshing to see that silly sensationalism is alive and well.
    still flinging that moldy old bait out there Pete? Talk about an evergreen, you've been doing it 10 years? more? You must be bored or is it a reflexive action at this point?

happy angling,

Pauli

Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by pauly mac
    still flinging that moldy old bait out there Pete? Talk about an evergreen, you've been doing it 10 years? more? You must be bored or is it a reflexive action at this point?

happy angling,

Pauli
    Just the facts, not bait.

It's too bad you can't discern the difference between the two, whoever you are.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Just the facts, not bait.

It's too bad you can't discern the difference between the two, whoever you are.

It must be reflexive. You really can't help your self. I yam who i yam

Pauliey

Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by pauly mac
    It must be reflexive. You really can't help your self. I yam who i yam

Pauliey
    Hopefully your wishful thinking brings you some comfort.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Hopefully your wishful thinking brings you some comfort.
    thank you, I'm content with my delusions. Happy Holidays

Lusus Naturae
    Dudes, whats with all the argumentation? You should both stick to what you do best: MTB Videos and KNBR 680 radio show.

Now move along.

mtbr member
    Guess I need to get a new one too!!

Darn Rental Bike....frame to small, bars to skinny, stem to short, darn really wish I was on my bike....
    At least I didn't go to the left.....

Glad to hear your okay though...
    Ed

mtbr member
    Heres the new helmet:

Members who have read this thread: 0