• 02-09-2006
    dirtluvraz
    My daughter has a question, baggy/lycra
    I threatened everyone once with this, and here she is. Not setting her up yet, told her she had to go on 5 rides with me first, even just easy rides, but she hasn't yet, so no profile, but she wants to ask something, and a few comments. Here she is, my 15 yr old,,,

Hi, my dad says not to use my real name. I don't have one made up, yet. I read all the posts on here when he picks me up to stay with him, and you guys are pretty funny, I think you make fun of each other a lot. .DHF, I love your new avatar, that's really cool. My dad says he traded emails with you, and I want to see the Hummer! I love those! My favorite car! Waltaz, I love your posts, but change the avatar. I liked the one where it looked like a guy swimming, or the one with the guy running around. Dirdir, just change yours, period. You must be a good rider, probably don't fall like my dad, you need something tough. Paul, yours fits, since my dad has your book and i know your last name, but time for a new Beaker pic. Someone named Yuri, you put some great pics on here.

My question is, my dad wears the tight shorts, I guess lycra. I say he's too old, he's 44. He says the pad is better in those that the loose shorts. What do most of you wear, and should he wear those? I think he should wear the others, he has those, but he always wears the tight ones.
  • 02-09-2006
    Dirdir
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtluvraz
    I threatened everyone once with this, and here she is. Not setting her up yet, told her she had to go on 5 rides with me first, even just easy rides, but she hasn't yet, so no profile, but she wants to ask something, and a few comments. Here she is, my 15 yr old,,,

Hi, my dad says not to use my real name. I don't have one made up, yet. I read all the posts on here when he picks me up to stay with him, and you guys are pretty funny, I think you make fun of each other a lot. .DHF, I love your new avatar, that's really cool. My dad says he traded emails with you, and I want to see the Hummer! I love those! My favorite car! Waltaz, I love your posts, but change the avatar. I liked the one where it looked like a guy swimming, or the one with the guy running around. Dirdir, just change yours, period. You must be a good rider, probably don't fall like my dad, you need something tough. Paul, yours fits, since my dad has your book and i know your last name, but time for a new Beaker pic. Someone named Yuri, you put some great pics on here.

My question is, my dad wears the tight shorts, I guess lycra. I say he's too old, he's 44. He says the pad is better in those that the loose shorts. What do most of you wear, and should he wear those? I think he should wear the others, he has those, but he always wears the tight ones.

I am a semi-retired roadie that used to swear by lycra (the tight ones). I won't go near them now. However, Lyra in general is more comfortable and cooler. I wear baggies because I have found several different ones that I find comfortable and because lycra looks.. um, well... you know, nerdy. Sorry lycra fans. Now, why do I choose looks over comfort? Answer. I actually ride better when I feel right, and I just don't feel right in lycra.
  • 02-10-2006
    singlespeedsycip
    Alot of baggies are just a set of light weight lycra shorts with a pair of baggies over them attached by a few tabs at the waistline. The Fox Epic and the Pearl Izumi Veer are both like this...probably my two favorites...
    I mainly just use the lycra shorts on the road bike now....
  • 02-10-2006
    azdog
    Used to wear lycra when I raced, couldn't stand it. Tried baggies with the lycra built in, still couldn't stand it.

Now all I wear are Quiksilver shorts.
  • 02-10-2006
    Paul B
    There are some really good baggies out there that have good pads and don't catch the seat. I'm partial to the Nema Crown Jewels, but they're pricey -- like $80ish IIRC. I don't pay retail for them so I can't remember exactly.

You can also wear a baggy shell over good lycra. That's kind of the standard solution for the armor-wearing crowd. Can't tell you how many pairs of really good Assos or PI tights were walking around Whistler; when it was time to ride, a heavy-duty board short-style shell would go over them.

I much prefer baggies for mountain biking. I feel like I've got better protection in case of a crash, and I like having pockets.

And no, I didn't change my avatar picture because a 15 year old girl told me to. Not at all! I, um...the mood just struck me, is all.

p.
  • 02-10-2006
    cycljunkie
    I like both...
    For baggies I like Zoic and Fox. For lycra my fav's are Pearl Izumi and Castelli bibs. I try to reserve lycra for the road but sometimes in the summer it's just more comfortable to look like a nerd out on SoMo. During the cold months I like to go with some bib knickers to keep the knees warm (although baggies w/knee warmers do the trick).
  • 02-10-2006
    waltaz
    Baggies only.
  • 02-10-2006
    HarryCallahan
    At 44, your dad isn't old, especially if he mountain bikes. (I'll admit to being biased because I'm 50. But I also just got home from a week of skiing with my 70 year old dad. Neither of us looks our age, except for our hair. His is white, mine is just vanishing.)

I ride both road and mountain bikes, and don't want to have the expense of two sets of cycling specific clothes; they cost enough as is. I haven't found a pair of baggies that I like yet, although some of the more expensive ones have come close, but then that expense factor kicks in. When I started riding mtn bikes, I would put a pair of hiking shorts over my lycra shorts because there were a lot of hippy type folks riding mountain bikes. But after a while I ditched the hiking shorts because I noticed more and more good riders (at least around here) just wore the lycra shorts.

My wife says I look good in the lycra shorts. What does your mom think about your dad and how he looks?
  • 02-10-2006
    chronicrider
    I think your dad probably feels sexy in his lycra and maybe it makes him feel faster.
    A lot of mountain bikers wear the tight spandex, however, you can always put a pair of shorts over them. This way, you get the comfort from the pads as well as looking a little more fashionable just like Paul B said.
    It's kind of like bathing suits in my opinion.
    here in America most people wear board shorts so they can look cool like surfers.
    in Europe, all those euro's wear banana hamocks, that is what they think is cool even if they are not appealing to the rest of us.(IMO)

Maybe you should get him to work with you on this one.
    whenever you ride with him, he has to wear baggies
    when he rides with out you he can wear what he wants.
    just an idea
  • 02-10-2006
    dgangi
    I do both
    I like both baggies and Lycra shorts, and I think each has its own place.

First and foremost, certain people should never wear Lycra. If you are hairy or out of shape, do the riding public a favor and never wear Lycra. Ever. Period. That is until you shave/wax/burn the forest of leg hair and/or lose the gut. :p

But if you're legs are relatively smooth and the rest of you is in shape, then Lycra is an option...

For the road, MTB racing and serious MTB training, I will always wear Lycra. Sorry, but no matter how you slice it, baggies are much less efficient than Lycra. Baggies catch the saddle...can have trouble sliding on your legs when you get really sweaty...don't move as well as Lycra...and are generally hotter than Lycra.

BUT...Lycra can't take the beating that baggies can. I've had a few instances where I crashed, tore my Lycra shorts...exposing parts of my a$$. (Sorry for the ugly visual)

So, if I am doing a "leisurely" MTB ride or a technical MTB ride, I will always wear the baggies. Whenever there is a good chance of me falling (such as when I ride National), the baggies are the only short I will wear as I don't like my a$$ cheeks hanging out.

Thx...Doug
  • 02-10-2006
    Phillbo
    Would you want to be seen in public with your old man in lycra :eek: I thought not .. get him into some baggies and tell him to act his age ;)
  • 02-10-2006
    Cycle64
    Hi nice to see you got in your first post, welcome.

Now tell your dad I don't care how many times he asks me to hit the trail with him. I'm not going to take him up on that offer until he gets some baggies. Then again may help get my endurance up trying to stay in front of him so I don't have that view to look at! :D
  • 02-10-2006
    DurtGurl
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dgangi
    First and foremost, certain people should never wear Lycra. If you are hairy or out of shape, do the riding public a favor and never wear Lycra. Ever. Period. That is until you shave/wax/burn the forest of leg hair and/or lose the gut. :p

But if you're legs are relatively smooth and the rest of you is in shape, then Lycra is an option...

And now for a grown-up girl's point of view.... I fully agree with Doug's opinion and will go on to say that if you are in shape with shaved legs then you do me a personal favor by wearing your Lycra!! Oh yea, I'd much rather follow you up/down the hills and thru the desert if you are wearing Lycra than when you are wearing your shapeless baggies (has anyone commented that baggies tend to show a plumber's crack on just about everyone?).

So, If your "old" Dad wants to wear Lycra and if Dad is in shape, then just let him go and know that he might be making some "old" girl like me smile!! And if he doesn't do it already, suggest that he shave his legs. Shaved legs are hot.
  • 02-10-2006
    Dirdir
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    And now for a grown-up girl's point of view.... I fully agree with Doug's opinion and will go on to say that if you are in shape with shaved legs then you do me a personal favor by wearing your Lycra!! Oh yea, I'd much rather follow you up/down the hills and thru the desert if you are wearing Lycra than when you are wearing your shapeless baggies (has anyone commented that baggies tend to show a plumber's crack on just about everyone?).

So, If your "old" Dad wants to wear Lycra and if Dad is in shape, then just let him go and know that he might be making some "old" girl like me smile!! And if he doesn't do it already, suggest that he shave his legs. Shaved legs are hot.

Yes, and on that note, I just want to add that my opinion on baggies v. lycra was intended solely for male riders. All chicks must wear lycra. This is the first rule (sub prime one) of mountain biking. Chicks must wear lycra. Period.

Sorry dirtluzraz, I did not start this.
  • 02-10-2006
    dgangi
    Uhhh....where's her helmet? :D

Jeez that was an unfair picture at 3PM on a Friday. If I ever saw something like that in the forest...I would...(how can I phrase this politely)...have a hard time keeping my thing in my pants. Now all I want to do is ride. Or find the nearest gentleman's club.

Thx...Doug
  • 02-10-2006
    Casual Observer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dgangi
    Uhhh....where's her helmet? :D

Jeez that was an unfair picture at 3PM on a Friday. If I ever saw something like that in the forest...I would...(how can I phrase this politely)...have a hard time keeping my thing in my pants. Now all I want to do is ride. Or find the nearest gentleman's club.

Thx...Doug

Well, then I probably should not tell you about the time last year I was out at T100 and came across two "hikers." One with with F-me hiking shoes (with 7" heels), barelty a short on, and a skirt for somebody two sizes smaller and 2' shorter than her. The other hiker had a camera. HHmmmmmm
  • 02-10-2006
    Konapdlr
    Definitly baggies. I have never been one for lycra. I relate lycra to those who wear the swim trunks that are so tight that they should have a " Fruit of Loom " label on them to the bermuda style swim shorts.
    By the way Dirtluvraz's daughter...Since everyone is meeting your demands by changing thier avatars (except for that hooligan Waltaz) tell everyone to send me money! I accept checks, money orders, gift cards and soon, Visa, Mstrcrd. :D And definitly tell your dad to throw on the baggies. If he's wearing lycra shorts when I finally ride with him. I will have to lead. :eek: :p
  • 02-10-2006
    El profeta negro
    Baggies, Cannondale Nebula, occassionally with lycra underneath.
  • 02-10-2006
    dirtluvraz
    1 Attachment(s)
    Thank You All!
    Good evening everyone, it's Mike's daughter again. I need to make up a name, I know. He called and came over and picked me up and brought me over to answer this, which will adress something said later. First, I'd like to compliment everyone on their spelling! I do notice that!
    Dirdir, love that avatar! Very nice, better than the last one! Paul, I know you didn't change because of me, (wink-wink), but I like it, new and it fits. Now work on Walt! My dad is a Bush fan though, and does know Mr. Cheney (he's from Wyoming like my dad).

HarryCallahan, My dad isn't old, exactly, but I think him being 44, well, I don't know. Which brings up what my mom thinks and about me being over tonite to answer this. He and my mom are best friends, probably forever, but they are divorced since November, and she doesn't say anything, but she does roll her eyes sometimes, especially when he picks me up and has new wounds.

Chronicrider, I met you, remember? I don't think he thinks or feels he's sexy (gross), he never wears the lycra in public, just on his bike. I guess that's public, but not in a store or anything. I don't really ride, he's tried to get me to ride his old bike, it's called a Kona Dawg, but I really don't ride.

Phillbo, I really hope he doesn't act his age, he took me to see KISS and Aerosmith and bought tickets in the 9th row. That was COOL!

Dgangi, He does shave. I find it a little weird, but it's ok by me.

Skinny-tire, He loves that pic! He saw Ken post it, and we know him, they work together. He called and asked him where he found it.

trb2929 and Konadawg, He says you better stay in front! I know I would!

Bake, the last pic you posted, uh, he just muttered something, the other 2 he laughed, so I know he liked the last one!

Cyclejunkie, I love that avatar!

I saved someone called DurtGurl for last. I think it is pretty cool that a grown-up woman rides. My mom wouldn't ride at all, but she's a great mom anyway. As for my dad, well, he is in pretty good shape, I guess for his age, he doesn't have the "Dunlap" or anything like that, but he's my dad. He does shave, I thought was weird but I think I understand a little more, when he falls, he seems to be better off and heals a little faster.

Thank you all for replying. I'm trying to talk him into letting me go on here with my own log-in, but he won't yet. He says I have to ride to do that. I've enjoyed being here, and maybe can post again. I will be at my mom's till Sunday night, so i might respond to anymore then. Take care to all of you, and have fun!
    Dirtluvr's daughter :cool:

p.s., he took this by accident, he's a dork and hit the button, I know, but he said I could put this here!
  • 02-10-2006
    DurtGurl
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtluvraz
    I saved someone called DurtGurl for last. I think it is pretty cool that a grown-up woman rides. My mom wouldn't ride at all, but she's a great mom anyway. As for my dad, well, he is in pretty good shape, I guess for his age, he doesn't have the "Dunlap" or anything like that, but he's my dad. He does shave, I thought was weird but I think I understand a little more, when he falls, he seems to be better off and heals a little faster.

Ah shucks... I'm touched that you saved me for last! There may not be many women posting on the AZ MTBR board, but there are lots of us out there on the trails. We ride hard, we bleed, we break bones, we heal... just like the guys.

On the fashion front, I'm a great believer of the skort which has the comfort of Lycra and the modesty of a sharp lil skirt. Maybe your Dad could wear a skort... now that would make a statement :) I was out backpacking in the Superstitions with my dogs a few weeks ago and ran across a group of 20-somethings - one was this amazingly cute guy in a skirt. Very cool (at least to me).

Anyhoo, it's been fun having lots of new posters on the board, including YOU and your pops. The same ol bunch of Yahoos gets a bit tiresome at times, so new blood is always welcome to stir things up. You should join your Dad for the AZ MTBR Spring Fling Friday nite party at South Moutnain in March! See the AZSF06 link on the Passion page for info, or bug PaulB to get another sticky back on the AZ board.

Cheers.
  • 02-11-2006
    2xPneu
    Endura...
    Get a pair of Endura MT 500s, which are offroad lycra, actually made with something a bit heavier and cordura-ish.

They've got 2 layers of fabric on the sides, so when you fall one slides over the other, it takes a lot to rip them.

They're also a bit looser, so you don't get the look of the guys above with those attractive red shorts.

Made in the UK, if that makes a difference.

Baggies and camelbacks are weak...RC
  • 02-11-2006
    kendogg
    I agree with dirtgurl....
    You look should wear a skort or kilt. With your spandex, you look like you are smuggling grapes through the desert.
  • 02-11-2006
    Konapdlr
    With smooth legs like that, I think you might want to walk the cat walk there Dirtluvraz. I think the best baggies I have worn are Hoss. They fit real well and are very durable. So since you seem to fall alot :D , they should hold up. They are also at a great price $30 or so. I think it is "Wheelworld or CBO" that carries them.
  • 02-12-2006
    Cato
    Dirtluvraz's Girl,

I'm one of the girls on the board, don't post too often but love to ride. I've always had a bike and started riding seriously ten years ago, it's completely addicting. Riding on dirt is an awesome experience, what are you waiting for? Like DirtGurl said, there are LOTS of us females peddling around, and the ratio of men to women is in our favor. For single girls, I imagine this is a huge bonus.

Now to your question: Lycra is HOT on guys in great shape, riding behind a set of strong muscular shaved legs attached to a firm butt clad in lycra always brings a huge grin to MY face...especially out of the saddle...mmmmm....if you've got it, let the world see it. Jiggly butts and guts should stay in baggies and loose jerseys. What we can see in your dad's pic looks like he's in good shape (BTW, I'm older than he is!), and is perfectly acceptable for him to wear the shiny tight shorts.

Get out there with him soon! :D
  • 02-12-2006
    dirtluvraz
    Thank you from both of us!
    Hi, it's the kid again, then him. We both wanted to thank everyone on here, it was fun for me! If he will let me have my own log-in, I might be back! I'm glad everyone posted on this. I probably won't start riding, for now. School has me very busy, and my grades come first. That's why I always watch everyone's spelling.

Walt, I love the new avatar, might be the funniest one!

Ken, all he said was you like grapes! Oh, and you'd like to see the skort!

DurtGurl, thank you. It's nice to hear from you. The party is on a night when I'm at my mom's, so not sure. I might, but probably not, but I'd like to.

Thanks to everyone who responded. It was fun to see the replies, and I hope I can do this again. It seemed to make everyone think a little bit. Oh, and change some of the avatars!

Cato, I'm not sure what to say. My dad always said he'd never be able to find a girlfriend that rides, maybe there's one out there for him! With me starting to drive soon, ( he's scared about that!), he needs to find a girlfriend! Now that I've embarrased him, I'll turn this to him one last time. I told him he couldn't post till I said so.

Hi, Mike here. Sorry she's long-winded, she's 15! What can I say! Thank you to everyone. This was a fun experience for her. Maybe she will start riding, but grades first (4.33gpa as a soph, enough honors credits to graduate middle of junoir year!). Everyone was great. Oh, and I probably will keep using lycra, for a while anyway! Want me to turn her loose?
    Thanks all!
  • 02-13-2006
    cdad_martinez
    1 Attachment(s)
    I can't take it! Something needs to be done about this! My husband has worn baggies since the day we meet. He is in excellent shape and in the shower his butt looks like two firm grapefruits pushed ever so nicely together! But if he wore lycra/spandex on any of our rides I'd kill over laughing at him 'till he went and changed. The girls are saying that the tight look is sexy but theres a time to be sexy and on the trail isn't one of them (unless your the only two on the trail...in that case take advatage of the privacy by all means .;) ) I agree with Paul and cycljunkie. The linner in alot of baggies are a little uncomfortable but if you buy a nice pair of lycras and put a pair of baggy Trek or AXO's over the top you'll be good to go! Men who wear tighty whiteies, thongs and men who wear skin tight bike shorts look like less of a man. My husband doesn't shave his legs and I'm thankful for that. The last thing I need is to compete with my man on who has the smoothest legs. I don't want him to be more of a woman than I am for cryin out loud! Oh, dirdir and skinney tire,I wear baggies on the trail and my husband rides behind me on easy trails just so he can take advantage of the view. The same goes with surfing like chronicrider said. If I'm in the line up and some dude paddles out wearing a speedo their goin back in the first wave that comes just to stop the humilitaion. On the contrary, if its a small (4-5') day and you girls don't need board shorts and a rash gaurd use that time to shine....other than that keep your a$$ covered up for the rest of us on the trail. Thank you!
    Wife Maritnez
  • 02-13-2006
    cdad_martinez
    Arrrggghh
    <HIM> How embarrasing is it for your wife to discuss your bottocks over the world wide web, to your peer group none the less. My embarrasment is only offset by her picture of her surfing, MUHAHAHAHA.......And she rides.....AHAHAHAHA....
  • 02-13-2006
    waltaz
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cdad_martinez
    I can't take it! Something needs to be done about this! My husband has worn baggies since the day we meet. He is in excellent shape and in the shower his butt looks like two firm grapefruits pushed ever so nicely together! But if he wore lycra/spandex on any of our rides I'd kill over laughing at him 'till he went and changed. The girls are saying that the tight look is sexy but theres a time to be sexy and on the trail isn't one of them (unless your the only two on the trail...in that case take advatage of the privacy by all means .;) ) I agree with Paul and cycljunkie. The linner in alot of baggies are a little uncomfortable but if you buy a nice pair of lycras and put a pair of baggy Trek or AXO's over the top you'll be good to go! Men who wear tighty whiteies, thongs and men who wear skin tight bike shorts look like less of a man. My husband doesn't shave his legs and I'm thankful for that. The last thing I need is to compete with my man on who has the smoothest legs. I don't want him to be more of a woman than I am for cryin out loud! Oh, dirdir and skinney tire,I wear baggies on the trail and my husband rides behind me on easy trails just so he can take advantage of the view. The same goes with surfing like chronicrider said. If I'm in the line up and some dude paddles out wearing a speedo their goin back in the first wave that comes just to stop the humilitaion. On the contrary, if its a small (4-5') day and you girls don't need board shorts and a rash gaurd use that time to shine....other than that keep your a$$ covered up for the rest of us on the trail. Thank you!
    Wife Maritnez

Awesome post, Wife Martinez...all your points are spot-on. See my previous, succint post about my opinion on baggies or lycra.

And you should move to Scottsdale... :D
  • 02-13-2006
    Dirdir
    Quote:

Oh, dirdir and skinney tire,I wear baggies on the trail and my husband rides behind me on easy trails just so he can take advantage of the view. The same goes with surfing like chronicrider said. If I'm in the line up and some dude paddles out wearing a speedo their goin back in the first wave that comes just to stop the humilitaion. On the contrary, if its a small (4-5') day and you girls don't need board shorts and a rash gaurd use that time to shine....other than that keep your a$$ covered up for the rest of us on the trail. Thank you!Wife Maritnez

Just a few points to your post:

1. Although your picture is awesome and sexy (sorry Husband Martinez, I can't help but flirt) it pains me to see surfing pictures. I have never missed a sport so much in my life. Since moving here about 6.5 years ago, I have surfed only a handful of times. I miss it and do not want to be reminded of my longings and the surfing I am not doing. :D

2. Why do girls that surf get a free pass? That is, they should either wear board shorts or bikinis, but not both. Its not fair.

3. If you think that 4-5' is small, you really need to move to Scottsdale.
  • 02-13-2006
    cdad_martinez
    If I can't see it I suppose I shouldn't care.
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirdir
    2. Why do girls that surf get a free pass? That is, they should either wear board shorts or bikinis, but not both. Its not fair.

3. If you think that 4-5' is small, you really need to move to Scottsdale.

You've brought new light to the subject. I wear board shorts and a rash guard on big days so that I still have clothes on after duckdiving (or catching) 8' waves with a 900 lb back to it. I learned my lesson and we have pic's to prove it :eek: . But your right, "its not fair", so next time your out surfing and you want to wear a bikini under your board shorts and guard by all means...I won't be sexest about it!

With all the ridding I've heard about in AZ I'm hoping I won't have time to miss the waves. :D

Wife Martinez
  • 02-13-2006
    Dirdir
    Quote:

I learned my lesson and we have pic's to prove it :eek: .

Ok, post em. I will make an exception to the no surfing pics rule, but only under these circumstances. :D

My surfing comments:

I am very impatient when it comes to sports. If the sport involves too much down time or waiting, then I don't stay with it. For example:

1. Baseball. I no longer play. At one time I was very good. I even respect the game and the skill of its players. Nonetheless, waiting to hit and field is worse than plucking butt hairs one by one.

2. Golf. See baseball above. Cannot wait my damn turn.

However, surfing was the exception. Surfing in Southern California, particularly on weekends and evenings was a crowded affair. First, you needed good surf. Then, you had to fight through the crowds and be aggressive to catch a wave. If everything lined up just right, bingo, you would catch a wave. Even then, you could still wipe out, or the wave could close out, or something, whatever. Bottom line, there is a lot of floating about and paddling aimlessly in surfing. I never got bored. Never.
  • 02-13-2006
    cdad_martinez
    Young biking children read this post!
    Quote:

Ok, post em. I will make an exception to the no surfing pics rule, but only under these circumstances. :D

First you wana wear womens clothes and now you want to see unfortunate naked pic's...you dirty dirty boy. Someone should tell your mommy. :p

The Wife
  • 02-13-2006
    dirtluvraz
    I May Never......
    eat grapefruit again! Just wanted to comment, it may get changed as this isn't my thread and I'm not supposed to post without permission, but my daughter is at school, hopefully maintaining that gpa of hers! Can you say major scholarship? WOO-HOO! When she gets home, though, she might choose to edit, as this, by agreement, was her post.

I didn't realize, when she wanted to do this, that everyone was as passionate about this as they were on their racks, their cars, or even their camelbaks! I'll say, it's just shorts. I'm not out riding to be seen, and if I pas, or someone passes me, I'll always smile and say hi, unless it's a hiker wearing white pants and velcro shoes! I will say, NOBODY can really say anything that would change how I feel on this. I'm comfortable in what I wear. Last night, after we got done with our last post, she hugged me and said "dad, wear anything, just ride". That's what matters. What I really care about is what she said to me. :)

So, Wife Martinez, and Martinez, Welcome to AZ! Seems everyone is very worked up over where you'll end up. Anywhere here is fine. Year-round riding, just early mornings summer! As for my shorts, I'll stick with the lycra. Anybody doesn't like it, wasn't trying to pick up on anyone! I'm riding, period! If anyone sees me out riding, don't look. I'm wearing the lycra! Unless I start doing the stuff Eric does (hmmmm), don't need anything else!
    Dirdir, please start a hot one! I know you can! Time for some new subject!
    Dirtluvraz (dad, not daughter!)
  • 02-13-2006
    Dirdir
    Great.
  • 02-13-2006
    FishMan473
    Dear god. You people are this passionate about camelbaks too?

I always wear lycra as my base layer. More comfortable, easier to use, etc. And it costs less. those baggy shorts are crazy expensive. That alone is a reason not to buy them.

Anyway, I always start with the lycras, but I often wear stuff over them. Up here in Flag it's often to keep warm, especially this time of year, I wear the top half of some nylon zip off pants. If it gets colder I zip the bottom half on. Other times I wear just regular baggy nylon shorts over my riding shorts, usually for social reasons. I might be going riding with a female friend, I might be just trying to not give off that 'fast racer look' which is important to consider if I'm leading a guided tour or if I might be running some errands around town before/after my ride. Sometimes I just need some pockets that I can actually access when my camelbak is on.

Oh, and god forbid, sometimes I wear tights over the lycra shorts instead. Gets cold up here sometimes.

So I say compromise. If it's chilly, throw some baggies on over the lycra shorts. If any of your daugters friends are going to see you, wear some baggies on top. Sometimes they get snagged on the seat causing a horrendous crash, but generally they don't hurt none.
  • 02-14-2006
    2xPneu
    Quote:

However, surfing was the exception. Surfing in Southern California, particularly on weekends and evenings was a crowded affair. First, you needed good surf. Then, you had to fight through the crowds and be aggressive to catch a wave. If everything lined up just right, bingo, you would catch a wave. Even then, you could still wipe out, or the wave could close out, or something, whatever. Bottom line, there is a lot of floating about and paddling aimlessly in surfing. I never got bored. Never.

I'm lucky-I live and work in Encinitas where I can surf and also have a place in Sedona for riding.

Unfortunately, I've volunteered to be mobilized in the USMC and am living in Cherry Point, NC until 2008. Encinitas and Sedona places rented out...

A secret to access waves during a decent swell is to go out very early in the AM, like an hour or so before daybreak. Most people don't, and you'll have more than an hour of relatively unimpeded surfing until the dawn patrol crowd starts filtering in after daylight.

Some guys will go out at 2-3 AM and do their entire session before daylight. It's scary at times, but there's nothing like surfing in the dark-especially if there's some bioluminescence in the water. It's totally unlike day surfing.

I miss SoCal...am I on the wrong forum??
  • 02-14-2006
    Dirdir
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 2xPneu
    I'm lucky-I live and work in Encinitas where I can surf and also have a place in Sedona for riding.

Unfortunately, I've volunteered to be mobilized in the USMC and am living in Cherry Point, NC until 2008. Encinitas and Sedona places rented out...

A secret to access waves during a decent swell is to go out very early in the AM, like an hour or so before daybreak. Most people don't, and you'll have more than an hour of relatively unimpeded surfing until the dawn patrol crowd starts filtering in after daylight.

Some guys will go out at 2-3 AM and do their entire session before daylight. It's scary at times, but there's nothing like surfing in the dark-especially if there's some bioluminescence in the water. It's totally unlike day surfing.

I miss SoCal...am I on the wrong forum??

Encinitas and the surrounding areas are paradise. After law school in San Diego, my wife and I moved to San Clemente, which will go down as the best place I ever lived. Yea, I am 39, but I already know I am locked and loaded in Phoenix. Mom is moving here from the Valley (the real one in SoCal).

I have surfed early, but never pre-dawn. Sounds fun and a bit spooky. Do they make completely waterproof lights that are safe to use for surfing. Thinking about it, a light may be more danger than help.

I am still upset about my one remaining surfboard. Right before we made the decision to move to Phoenix, I bartered with a client for my fees. In exchange for my services, he built me a total custom long board. He worked at a local surfboard company. The damn board is sweet, but by the time he finished making it, I had one week to use it. That week, plus the handful of times since moving are all the surfing it has seen.
  • 02-14-2006
    cycljunkie
    That's the life...
    Quote:

Encinitas and the surrounding areas are paradise. After law school in San Diego, my wife and I moved to San Clemente, which will go down as the best place I ever lived. Yea, I am 39, but I already know I am locked and loaded in Phoenix. Mom is moving here from the Valley (the real one in SoCal).

I have surfed early, but never pre-dawn. Sounds fun and a bit spooky. Do they make completely waterproof lights that are safe to use for surfing. Thinking about it, a light may be more danger than help.

I am still upset about my one remaining surfboard. Right before we made the decision to move to Phoenix, I bartered with a client for my fees. In exchange for my services, he built me a total custom long board. He worked at a local surfboard company. The damn board is sweet, but by the time he finished making it, I had one week to use it. That week, plus the handful of times since moving are all the surfing it has seen.

Yo Dirdir, I used to live in Redondo Beach right off the sand and every morning I'd sit on the balcony drinking coffee while watching all the surfers do their thing. Most mornings you could see as many as 5-10 dolphin swimming just beyond the surfers. Now that's the life!
  • 02-14-2006
    cdad_martinez
    [QUOTE=2xPneu]

QUOTE]

A better thing to do would be not to play shark bait at 2 AM and just surf somewhere less crowded like Mexico or local Hawaii...if surfing is that important then its worth it.
  • 02-14-2006
    2xPneu
    Quote:

A better thing to do would be not to play shark bait at 2 AM and just surf somewhere less crowded like Mexico or local Hawaii...if surfing is that important then its worth it.

Umm...so I want to go out for a quick AM session and I

a) drive to Mexico or
    b) fly to Hawaii?

Something doesn't make sense there...besides, sharks are all weather/all visibility feeders, being out at night doesn't really add to the shark factor.

Dirdir-no lights. It's been tried, but the range is limited and from the people I've talked to , makes it even harder. You've got to pick up the wave frm the ambient light in the area, you can see the shape loom up and you catch it.

Some guys clip a cyalume on just so they don't get run over by somebody...
  • 02-14-2006
    cdad_martinez
    [QUOTE=2xPneu]Umm...so I want to go out for a quick AM session and I

a) drive to Mexico or
    b) fly to Hawaii?

Something doesn't make sense there...besides, sharks are all weather/all visibility feeders, being out at night doesn't really add to the shark factor.
    tQUOTE]

Obviously I ment you would need to move to those palces!

Most shark attacks happen at dawn or dusk. Shraks are nocternal and cowards; they feed when the water is merkey or when they suspect no one is watching them. And sharks are on a distinct migrating system and tend to feed most in warmer climates. Places like Florida (bull shark), California (Tiger shark), and Seal Island or Australia (Great whites) are experiencing holes in their eating patterns due to (what some researchers think) the association of people and food. Too much chum feeding the same sharks has become a little habit forming. I'm terrified of sharks and have kept my eye out for upcoming news on them, or more to the point, how to deter them. University of Hawaii on Oahu has the most recent studys for sharks and their behavior if you wana check em out. I can't remeber their web site but it souldn't be hard to find.

Wife Martinez