My Body Armor Problem...- Mtbr.com
    Master of Custodial Arts

My Body Armor Problem...

OK....l ordered the SP-1 suit because Beyond Bikes said it is more manuverable and lighter(plus Steve Peat designed it). Well, I am 6' 1 and like 156 pounds(skinny bastard) and beyond bikes said a large would fit. I get it, try it on, the mesh is sliding around, i have all the straps tightened down. Does not look good. So I'm like, ok, maybe a medium will fit me. I got it in today and I don't know how long I will fit in this. It seems to fit, but the elbows are sliding up a bit, plus it is really short. I didnt know if it was supposed to be this short. Does the medium look too small? Should I just wash the large and hope it fits me soon?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    When my mom tries to tell me what to do I tell her to SHUT HER HOLE BEFOR I KICK HER IN THE NUTS!

Pro Crastinator
    the sleeves look fine.....

although, it does appear that your kidney belt is not around your kidneys. but the back looks normal as well.

Cynical Bystander
    Im 6'1" and like 200lbs, haha, but I have a large SP-1. Just make sure you tighten the pads on your wrist down and that should help, I dunno, mine don't slide since Im beefy, haha. That's about where the belt thing goes on me too, and also, the Sp-1 might be more comfortable to wear with a shirt underneath because the mesh can itch a lot without it.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

mtbr member
    Don't know if it is a possibility where you are but buy it from your LBS if possible. That way you can try on different sizes. Paying for multiple shipping charges generally negates any savings.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    get some dainese. Man that armour kicks ass.

Master of Custodial Arts
    Quote Originally Posted by FrontRanger
    Don't know if it is a possibility where you are but buy it from your LBS if possible. That way you can try on different sizes. Paying for multiple shipping charges generally negates any savings.
    Kinda hard when I live in Georgia.
    When my mom tries to tell me what to do I tell her to SHUT HER HOLE BEFOR I KICK HER IN THE NUTS!

Master of Custodial Arts
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_winner1
    get some dainese. Man that armour kicks ass.
    Sorry,
    For one: You can't find it anywhere. I've tried about everywhere. The closest I got was waiting till half the season was over to get it. Not worth it to me.

Second: I am not paying triple what I paid for this when I could save for a hardtail, components, or money for road trips.

Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnar
    Sorry,
    For one: You can't find it anywhere. I've tried about everywhere. The closest I got was waiting till half the season was over to get it. Not worth it to me.

Second: I am not paying triple what I paid for this when I could save for a hardtail, components, or money for road trips.
    cant find Dainese armor anywhere ? in my city there is 2 LBS's carrying the bodyarmor one has atleast 6 sets of it on the wall, the other has 3 i'm sure they'd ship ya a set.

Jan 2004

Eh ...

What the hell you need the spine protecter for. I just say send it back and just wear basic protection. All ya need is fore arm, elbow, shins and knees and of course head.
    What is that shoulder pad ganna do for you? I'll tell ya, nutt'n. If you land on your shoulder, you have to worry about seperation or dislocations.
    I say send it back and get the shyt you need instead of trying to look cool in front of buddies.
    You can spend allot of money on protection if you want bragging rights or just want to be cool but, invest in something that works. You can spend all that money on the mesh body suit and spine protecter that you don't need, or ... go to something like Troy Lee or FOX, spend the same amount of money and be better protected.
    Sorry for going off, lol. I'm in Dad mode tonight.

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm I too have the SP-1

Quote Originally Posted by Gnar
    OK....l ordered the SP-1 suit because Beyond Bikes said it is more manuverable and lighter(plus Steve Peat designed it). Well, I am 6' 1 and like 156 pounds(skinny bastard) and beyond bikes said a large would fit. I get it, try it on, the mesh is sliding around, i have all the straps tightened down. Does not look good. So I'm like, ok, maybe a medium will fit me. I got it in today and I don't know how long I will fit in this. It seems to fit, but the elbows are sliding up a bit, plus it is really short. I didnt know if it was supposed to be this short. Does the medium look too small? Should I just wash the large and hope it fits me soon?
    I'm 6' and 200 pounds in full gear. I bought the large, and it's very snug. The pads stay where they are...but it is SO hot I can't even wear it anymore. I wore it in the winter when it was 10 degrees out....I sweat so bad I wound up freezing.

Anyway...I think you are screwed because you are tall and thin. The large moving around on your thin frame will do you no good when you crash. Keep the medium and get used to the short feel. I had the same concern. You will get used to the feel. Or send it back before you use it and get another brand.

Is your kidney belt elastic? Mine isn't. And it sucks because it separates as soon as I exhale. I emailed 661 and told them their marketing sucks because it says elastic. They were nice enough to send me a Motor X style belt that I can wear with the suit, or without.

My friend had sizing nightmares with the Assault suit. He sent it back 3 times through the LBS. 661 wound up giving him the top of the line model for the same price.

They admitted they had major sizing issues during manufacturing. Check out RockGarden too. I hear they are very similar to the 661 pressure suit (but maybe fit better???)

good luck....

May 2004
    ride your bike and see how it fit, remember the suit is designed to work when you are on the bike, not standing around, seen fine by the picture, and dont listen to trail stumper, seen like he forget that full body armour is there in case that you need it, he may try driving his car without the seatbelt, airbag is enough, anyway all that protection is a waste unless you crashed, so according to him just dont crash, if you going big wear all the protection you can, every week I heard some rider saying "man I wish I had on my arm/leg/fullface, etc,etc" that fall/crash took me out and now is no riding for me for 2 months"......wearing it doesnt make you "cool", it make you smart.......
    usually everytime I heard someone advising on not to use body armour, they wear spandex, 2 sizes too small, printed with some postal service or euro road team, and they drop/jump, do this awesome tricks. but for some reason there never been any other rider that witness all this great skills.and they spend more time qouting riders they never rode with, telling you how to every possible stund, even so, they cant go down a sidewalk.
    so wear all the armour you can according to what you plan to ride and have as much fun as you can

Jan 2004
    Go-ride has Dainese. It does fit tighter. You could probably get a large next jacket or saftey jacket and it will be a lot tighter on your arms. And to Trail Thumper you have never really crashed and must ride really slow if you think that a spine protector and shoulder pads are not needed. My spine protector has gouges in it that would have been in my back from crashing in rocks. And my shoulder pads have saved me tons of times. If anything from wicked road rash. If you are going slow and just doing some gnarly trail rides regular pads are great they save you from small falls and if you have a camel bak on even better. But if you are racing or doing some hauling ass downhilling you need a real jacket if you don't want to get hammered.

Master of Custodial Arts
    Quote Originally Posted by Moriority
    Go-ride has Dainese. .
    I have called them, beyond bikes, cambria bikes, and others, and nobody has large jackets. It might actually be worth it for something that fits. Does anyone know where I can order a large Safety Jacket or Next that actually has them in stock and can ship now?

Jan 2004
    That sucks. The 661 looks like it does fit you ok though. From what I have heard from others the elbow mesh is a little baggy. You might sew in an extra strap or take in that area a little to make it fit better. Dainese armor fits like a bra too. It feels funny when you first put it on but once you ride with it for a few minutes you forget about it.

Master of Custodial Arts
    Quote Originally Posted by Moriority
    That sucks. The 661 looks like it does fit you ok though. From what I have heard from others the elbow mesh is a little baggy. You might sew in an extra strap or take in that area a little to make it fit better. Dainese armor fits like a bra too. It feels funny when you first put it on but once you ride with it for a few minutes you forget about it.
    So are you saying go with the large, or the medium in the picture?

Mar 2004

Idea!

Go to Dainese direct at http://www.dainese.be/en/biking/safety/index.htm . I sent them a email with my mesurments, size, weight. They got back with me the next day found one that worked perfect shiped it to me in 2 days! A grand Total of 4 days that it tookto get it. and it was cheaper than the mail order shops. They have alot more styles and sizes at their headquaters!

Jan 2004
    I would say keep the medium. You are probably swimming in a large one. Or do what BBoyd said an call Dainese direct.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    [QUOTE=Trail Thumper]What the hell you need the spine protecter for. I just say send it back and just wear basic protection. All ya need is fore arm, elbow, shins and knees and of course head.
    What is that shoulder pad ganna do for you? I'll tell ya, nutt'n. If you land on your shoulder, you have to worry about seperation or dislocations.
    I say send it back and get the shyt you need instead of trying to look cool in front of buddies.
    You can spend allot of money on protection if you want bragging rights or just want to be cool but, invest in something that works. You can spend all that money on the mesh body suit and spine protecter that you don't need, or ... go to something like Troy Lee or FOX, spend the same amount of money and be better protected.
    Sorry for going off, lol. I'm in Dad mode tonight.[/QUOTE

I agree depends what he's using it for. If he's just doing riding around the town then I would not bother with that suit. As for the DH aspect you need it, at least the back protection sometimes. Bad stuff happens in dh races when you get involved with tree's and big rocks. I've been there done that. Hell I face planted on rocks and gravel and my dainese was scratched up nicly better the plastic than the chest (sexy)

Jan 2004

Eh,

Eh, I am just saying, that he could spend the money better. You can gett a full blown Moto cross protecer to wear underneath your jersey with all the extras. It might be worth looking into. You will get more for your money for something like that. I just don't like those flimsy little shoulder pads he's got. They won't do anything if he hits a tree. I just can't justify spending that much money on something with that little protection. To me, it just seems like bragging rights to the buddies.

aka Willy Vanilly
    Hey Gnar, if you do end up going with Dainese, try this:
    http://store.transcendmagazine.com/i...5c0a9b047c35dd

Not sure if they'll have your size in stock (or whatever) but I remembered seeing they sold Dainese stuff. Good luck
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
    E. F. Schumacher

sXe

Master of Custodial Arts
    Quote Originally Posted by BBOYD
    Go to Dainese direct at http://www.dainese.be/en/biking/safety/index.htm . I sent them a email with my mesurments, size, weight. They got back with me the next day found one that worked perfect shiped it to me in 2 days! A grand Total of 4 days that it tookto get it. and it was cheaper than the mail order shops. They have alot more styles and sizes at their headquaters!
    Did you just go to the contact us section? Which one did you email(Ghent or Brussles)?

Jan 2004

Gnar

Dude! I love your avatar, Cartman cracks me up but, that is funny as all hell!

Master of Custodial Arts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Thumper
    Dude! I love your avatar, Cartman cracks me up but, that is funny as all hell!
    As myself. Our tastes for fine comedy is like a one for fine wine.
    Last edited by Gnar; 06-18-2004 at 06:50 AM. Reason: spelling

DOH!
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Thumper
    Eh, I am just saying, that he could spend the money better. You can gett a full blown Moto cross protecer to wear underneath your jersey with all the extras. It might be worth looking into. You will get more for your money for something like that. I just don't like those flimsy little shoulder pads he's got. They won't do anything if he hits a tree. I just can't justify spending that much money on something with that little protection. To me, it just seems like bragging rights to the buddies.

Please don't spout ignorance. Have you ever crashed at DH race speeds with and without "flimsy little shoulder pads" or a spine protector? If not, than you have nothing to say. As any DH racer or aggressive freerider will tell you from firsthand experience, back plates and shoulder pads save more a*s than you can imagine. And considering that - besides the melon planted on top of your neck - your spine is kinda important to living life as something other than a stalk of brocolli, articulated spinal protectors seem a no-brainer in a sport where going over the bars and landing smack on your back in a rock garden is an everyday possibility.

Moto-x roost protectors have proven to be less than ideal for biking applications, and thus there's armor designed specifically for riding without a motor. I say it's better to err on the side of caution when doing risky sh*t rather then end up in the hospital, or worse, being fed by a trained monkey for the rest of your life.