My 7W helmet light

Here is my new helmet light:

There are photos of the process: 7W helmet light

Bare MC-E epoxied to the case

Everything is polished

Tailcap with clicky switch

Everything is assembled

mtbr member
    Very nice, if I could, I'd give it +1 vote for "Best use of DX parts in an original headlight design"

That polished finish really makes a difference too, the DX housing looks even better all nice and shiny.

Couple ?'s:
    How did you weld the slug to the tube?
    How does it handle the heat from the MC-E - does it feel like most heat is dissipated in the finned head of the light or is about the same temperature throughout the light?
    What (special) tools did you need to build this?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by HuffyPuffy
    Very nice, if I could, I'd give it +1 vote for "Best use of DX parts in an original headlight design"

That polished finish really makes a difference too, the DX housing looks even better all nice and shiny.
    Thanks!
    Couple ?'s:
    How did you weld the slug to the tube?
    How does it handle the heat from the MC-E - does it feel like most heat is dissipated in the finned head of the light or is about the same temperature throughout the light?
    What (special) tools did you need to build this?
    I used a special alu solder. Well, answering your third question, it's the only special thing I used I bought several sorts of it from R E X I N - L O E T T E C H N I K. Universal-Lot 370, 380, 390 -- all of them works well, 400 is hard to use. Less than 370 were absolutely worthless for my sorts of alumimium. To solder aluminium I used a kitchen torch.

The heat is dissipated about the same temperature throughout the light. The light heats up very quickly, I think it's good. Unfortuantely, I don't have a measure tool for temperature except my own fingers

mtbr member
    Is the aluminum tube 6061? Sounds like it makes a good bond to conduct the heat, certainly must be much better than thermal paste or a mechanical connection. If it gets warm quick, the case is doing it's job pretty well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by HuffyPuffy
    Is the aluminum tube 6061?
    I dunno. I bought it in my local store in the "aluminium profiles" section and there was no mention about exact sort of the aluminium. But it's pretty soft, so probably it's 6061.
    Sounds like it makes a good bond to conduct the heat, certainly must be much better than thermal paste or a mechanical connection. If it gets warm quick, the case is doing it's job pretty well.
    Yeah, looks like that.

mtbr member
    Sweet looking little light! I Can you please send a link to the driver you used?

I have made something similar but using a maxFlex. A few of my mates want the light so need a cheaper driver! Here is the one I made

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by piesoup
    Sweet looking little light! I Can you please send a link to the driver you used?
    This one: Highly Efficient LED Circuit Board (4V-18V)
    It gives about 1A current.

I have made something similar but using a maxFlex. A few of my mates want the light so need a cheaper driver!
    Probably, you can use CREE MC-E LED Driver Board Circuit with parallel wired MC-E, if you want modes. I didn't wanted modes for my helmet light and 500 lumens were enough for me

dtheo
    Sep 2005
    Cool little light. How about some beam shots???

Lets RIDE!
    Wow...I'm working on a light right now using that same DX front housing. Pics soon. Mine will be a triple XR-E with a Ledil Cute-3 optic and 1A Buckpuck, and a threaded rear housing my brother made up for me at his machine shop.

Itess, what is the expected lumen output for the MC-E driven like that? I'm figuring ~650l for my triple XR-E, but I'm thinking a second MC-E version would be nice with it.

JZ
    Last edited by Jim Z in VT; 10-08-2009 at 06:12 AM.
    It's not about speed, it's about lack of control.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dtheo
    Cool little light. How about some beam shots???
    I am building another bar light and going to shot all my lights and torches together. I can describe this light as "very bright short-distance light". I have Fraen 13 and gonna check how it works.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JimZinVT
    Wow...I'm working on a light right now using that same DX front housing. Pics soon. Mine will be a triple XR-E with a Ledil Cute-3 optic and 1A Buckpuck, and a threaded rear housing my brother made up for me at his machine shop.

Itess, what is the expected lumen output for the MC-E driven like that? I'm figuring ~650l for my triple XR-E, but I'm thinking a second MC-E version would be nice with it.

JZ
    I think it's about 500 lumen. I didn't want to drive it more, because on beamshots from other people I didn't see big difference between 500 and 700 lumen.

mtbr member
    You guys have the high-tech light look down. Nice work, they are tight, clean, simple, and pretty small. Great use of space and materials with a fine finish.

Hope its OK to comment on piesoup's build as well, Itess, no disrespect to you at all.

How are you guys going to mount them?
    Wrecker of fine things

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 02Slayer
    How are you guys going to mount them?

mtbr member
    Hmm, kind of like an aimable/pivoting, Dinotte style helmet thing going on. Cool.
    Is that a mod? I just haven't seen one like that.
    I'm curious because I'm getting a helmet mount system together for my new build.
    Thanks
    Wrecker of fine things

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Hmm, kind of like an aimable/pivoting, Dinotte style helmet thing going on. Cool.
    Is that a mod? I just haven't seen one like that.
    I'm curious because I'm getting a helmet mount system together for my new build.
    Thanks
    Helmet mount for "SIGMA Black Edition PowerLED Black". This is another but very similar light.

mtbr member
    Have you given any thought as to the length of cable leaving the light, and I'm talking helmet light in particular here? I've been wondering about this, because I went to cut my cable for installation, and it would have pretty much looked like yours in terms of length like my other lights and most other headlights, but then wondered if it wouldn't help for it to be a little longer so the plug was kinda down behind my head instead of up on top of the helmet. I've thought it would be easier to secure one cable to the helmet instead of both the incoming power supply and the "tail" of the headlight.
    Wrecker of fine things

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Have you given any thought as to the length of cable leaving the light, and I'm talking helmet light in particular here? I've been wondering about this, because I went to cut my cable for installation, and it would have pretty much looked like yours in terms of length like my other lights and most other headlights, but then wondered if it wouldn't help for it to be a little longer so the plug was kinda down behind my head instead of up on top of the helmet. I've thought it would be easier to secure one cable to the helmet instead of both the incoming power supply and the "tail" of the headlight.
    Well, yes. I thought about it and came to conclusion that this was the right length I don't know how to explain it in engineering terms. The thought is: the cable holder on the back of the helmet should a little bit relax the tension of the cable, also connection in horizontal position is more secure than in vertical.

mtbr member
    Your reasoning makes sense. I came across this thought as I went to take my camelback off with my headlight on. Having the cord connecting my backpack and helmet was awkward. There are times for me where it also seems helpful to keep the pack on and just disconnect the cable to free up the helmet. I sometimes chill with my helmet off and take in the night, having it untethered can be useful for me. Just the tail secured to the helmet would allow this. Probably not a feature a racer would care about. Again, design parameters and goals definitely vary. A problem with different solutions.
    Wrecker of fine things

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Beamshot

and finally the beamshot!

mtbr member
    wow, very neat. That housing is quite a find! Plenty of space for good sized MC-E reflectors too. Any info on why you chose the EVA-SS?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet
    wow, very neat. That housing is quite a find! Plenty of space for good sized MC-E reflectors too. Any info on why you chose the EVA-SS?
    Thanks! I chose it because it suited very well to this housing and had suitable beam pattern.

Members who have read this thread: 0