my A$$ is killing me - lycra or baggies?- Mtbr.com

Mar 2004

my A$$ is killing me - lycra or baggies?

Need padded shorts real bad, but can't decide on lycra or baggies. If lycra, I'll wear lightweight baggies on top since I'm not fond of showing other dudes my bulge. However, will I be too hot?

If baggies, my concern is that the padding will be sliding around and not always sit in the right place cause it doesn't hug your goods.

What to do?

Thanks in advance,

Rufus

XCdude

Baggies are fine, as long as you get good ones

Quote Originally Posted by RufusCobb
    Need padded shorts real bad, but can't decide on lycra or baggies. If lycra, I'll wear lightweight baggies on top since I'm not fond of showing other dudes my bulge. However, will I be too hot?

If baggies, my concern is that the padding will be sliding around and not always sit in the right place cause it doesn't hug your goods.

What to do?

Thanks in advance,

Rufus
    I heard that nemas are good, I have experience with oakleys and they are great $$ , fox short are ok but the padding wears out quick after a hour of so of riding you feel the difference. Also use the lycra dont worry too much about people checking out your package, good lycras are awesome is what you need in a 3+ hour ride also about your butt pain, sometimes comes from lack of seat time after taking a week off your muscles will be tender again. Also you can use cream for the discomfort.
    Short bucket list.
    Cape Epic
    Pioneer Epic
    Swiss Epic

Jan 2004

What to do?

Thanks in advance,

Rufus
    I originally start out with a pair of fox short like moab63 stated the padding wore out pretty quickly. I then switch to lycra, got several pairs really cheap at a REI clearance sale. Like you, I was worried about displaying my package (or the lack of). So, I got couple pairs of cheap breathable, moisture wicking hiking shorts from my local SportMart. I’ve gone riding with that combo in 90+ degree heat without any real problems. As long as the outer pair of shorts are breathable and moisture wicking too, I don’t think you’ll have any problems

Jan 2004

Pads in baggies don't slip around...

What to do?

Thanks in advance,

Rufus
    any more than they do in lycras. I prefer the Nema Jewels, but aren't sure if they still make them. Great short. I wouldn't mind trying the Oakleys, but they were wicked expensive last time I checked.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    you can get baggy shorts with the tight shorts on the inside. nike makes a basic set that is $50 and a nicer version for $70.

www.nikecycling.com

Jan 2004

maybe it isn't the shorts...........

maybe it is the saddle, or saddle adjustment. I don't wear cycling shorts with padding and I don't have a problem. My saddle is the Terry Liberator. Some may think it too wide, but the comfort level is there and works for me. No advice on padded shorts, never used 'em.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I tend to agree with Dave B, at least to start. Also, if you are truly a beginner, you are going to go through the possibly painful “bike-butt” phase of being a beginner or not having ridden for an extended period of time. It’s just the way it is. That being said, if you are still walking tenderly after a month or so of regular riding, then something else is likely to blame. I’d start with either the saddle or the adjustment thereof.

Some saddles were surely designed by the Marquis de Sade himself, if not directly, then by inspiration. Saddle fit is probably the most personal of all components as to which is good or bad for YOU.

Start by adjusting the seat you have so it is about level and then make small adjustments either way to suit you. One small notch can make a big difference.

Your particular case of “bike-butt” should be on the decline. If you don’t start to notice it less after you adjust it, then you might start looking for a new seat.

Buying new shorts is not likely to make significant pain disappear.

Go lycra....

Easier to get "around" on the bike when off the saddle without hanging up on the saddle nose, plus, SERIOUSLY, don't give yourself so much "credit" - other dudes aren't gonna be checkin' your 'bulge" (and, if so, BFD !!...LOL...consider it a compliment !!)

Mar 2004

paded underwear

Padded underwear is the way to go I could not do the lycra shorts on my block it would not be pretty. REI sells them Andiamo makes them. Its the same concept as baggies with out the strings to get tangled in, plus you can ware any shorts over them or pants for winter.Oh and cheap too I think $10 bucks is what I paid.

Mar 2004
    Once you try the lycra you wont go back. It took me 3 years before i even tried it, but you wont be dissapointed. When i first started to ride, i just wore some loose, addidas shorts, but then I tried the padded undershorts from cannondale. It was a big improvement over nothing. A little late i tried bibs, they were very inexpensice, but still better than the undershorts. Then I got some nice lycra, and wow, what a differnce. I did a 12 hour race and my butt was not sore at all, atleast not until the next day.

It doesnt matter what you look like in shorts. Im not the smallest guy, i kow i look a little different than the hardcore roadie, but nobody cares, and if they do, who cares if they do. Try it and see the difference yourself.

Feb 2004

Try a new saddle

Being a relative newbie, I went through a lot of butt pain recently. Rather than fall into the cycle of taking time off to heal, then go out and try to get back into condition, I put an Azonic Love Seat on my Cannondale. Yeah, it's a huge ugly thing, butt it lets you keep going until your body figures out your not going to quit. It's pretty cheap too ($29). Now I've been out a couple of times with my stock Fizik seat and I think I'm over the hump. I may switch back though if I go on an epic any time soon.

Larry W.

MBA
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Maybe your seat?

I'd blame the seat. I have the very popular and cumfy WTB lazer V team. I wear Lyrca without padding and no soreness even after 5 hour rides.

Axe
    Custom User Title

What wrong with your bulge? Too small? Or too big?

Lycra performs better, period. Leave baggies for insecure wusses.

Absurd
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe
    What wrong with your bulge? Too small? Or too big?

Lycra performs better, period. Leave baggies for insecure wusses.

UMMM......baggies. If your ass hurts, try lowering the seat and riding like a maniac. But no lycra.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Axe
    Custom User Title

What is wrong with American men?

Quote Originally Posted by MVRIDER
    UMMM......baggies. If your ass hurts, try lowering the seat and riding like a maniac. But no lycra.
    Why such insecurity? Totally dominated by litiguous females? They do not seem to care much to show off some body.

This insane below the knee swimwear? Why would anybody swim in anything else but nice comfortable speedo's? Afraid to show a bit of your ass?

I am no greek god, weight lifter with love handles and plumpy ass-cheeks - but why would I give a flying fsck if somebody cares. My wife loves me.

Members who have read this thread: 0