Is this MX helmet suitable for Downhill?- Mtbr.com
    Spanish Marathon Racer

Is this MX helmet suitable for Downhill?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=16263

I need a new helmet (I now have a Bell Bellistic) and this one now has a good discount. It weighs exactly 3,08 LBS in M size, and it seems it is good ventilated. I want to use it for downhill racing.

What do you think?
    Is this too heavy?

Thank you!!!!
    "Win gives you glory, continue to your last breath gives yo pride, surrender is not an option"
    "Like a beast freed from its chains, I pedal like If I had to scape from hell. As sweat falls from my face, my phantoms, my fears, are left behind until they are points at the horizon."

i drink shower water
    if you can handle the heat and dont mind the wieght it will be fine.
    Prison is hard, everything else is easy

Spanish Marathon Racer
    how much does weight a normal Downhill helmet?
    "Win gives you glory, continue to your last breath gives yo pride, surrender is not an option"
    "Like a beast freed from its chains, I pedal like If I had to scape from hell. As sweat falls from my face, my phantoms, my fears, are left behind until they are points at the horizon."

mtbr member
    They only arguement i've heard about using a non bike helm is that mx helmets are made for high speed impact crashes where as bike helmets are made to endoure more smaller crashes and are more forgiving. Either one will save you in a bad crash, use what you want.

pin it to win it
    Nov 2005
    that thor helmet is huge compared to a dh helmet. my dad has that thor for riding dirt bikes. when i set my azonic fury next to it, it looks huge,cause it is and they weight alot more.

mtbr member
    My Fox V3 weighs 2.9 lbs and that is what I use. I figure if my sons and I are going to ride dirt bikes and downhill mt. bikes one good helmet is adequate and we are used to the size and weight.
    Pivot Firebird, Tomac Snyper, KTM 250SX

MountainMafia "Boss"
    I have a MX helmet, and all i can say is that they are HOT!!!!
    "Live to ride... FREERIDE to live!!!!!!"

Spanish Marathon Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbames190
    that thor helmet is huge compared to a dh helmet. my dad has that thor for riding dirt bikes. when i set my azonic fury next to it, it looks huge,cause it is and they weight alot more.

could you post a few pics of the two helmets next to each other?

Thank you!!!

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by hab1b
    if you can handle the heat and dont mind the wieght it will be fine.

true

try this...they breath better then most moto helmets and are pretty light and cheap
    http://www.azoniceurope.com/catalog/...664dda48da8983
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Mar 2007
    they are overkill protection wise. i mean, they're meant for 70 mph falls and in dh id be surprised if you went over 40. so they're over kill. but if your serious about protection than go for it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I had to use my moto helmet when I cracked my bike helmet. You donot realy notice the weight when syou are shuttling.
    Go BIG or Go HOME

mtbr member
    I've used my Simpson motocross helmet before, and its hot and heavy compared to my new Giro Remedy.

The more to complain about, the less likely you are to grab the helmet on your next ride. If its comfy and light, why not?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I use a 661 flight helmet, its lighter than my old 661 mtb helmet

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by thatdownhillkid
    they are overkill protection wise. i mean, they're meant for 70 mph falls and in dh id be surprised if you went over 40. so they're over kill. but if your serious about protection than go for it.
    for me I wanted a MX helmet....I just didn't feel safe in a Remedy....If you ride stuff that is tough and you go faster you would understand
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

MountainMafia "Boss"
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    for me I wanted a MX helmet....I just didn't feel safe in a Remedy....If you ride stuff that is tough and you go faster you would understand
    Well said SMT.... WELL said!
    "Live to ride... FREERIDE to live!!!!!!"

Sep 2007
    what aboot the New FOX RAMPAGE helms? I think they're half moto and half MTB in my opinion, might wanna check one of them out?

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/148...elmet-2007.htm

Members who have read this thread: 0