MTB SPD shoes- Mtbr.com

Thread: MTB SPD shoes

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

MTB SPD shoes

The time as come for me to buy some shoes for Clipless pedals for my Diverge. I was looking at these shoes:

CUBE All Mountain : £79.99 : Accessories : Shoes - MTB : Planet BIKE, Barnstaple

tried them at the store and they felt pretty good, although somewhat stiff for walking but its hard to tell yet.

I was wondering how efficient are such shoes for walking around, especially on the rough terrain? I dont really like to look of those classic road shoes, not to mention that I like to walk as well as ride my bike around. However I also dont like thick shoe sole which force me to increase the height of the seat, adding the feeling of slightly changed geometry.

mtbr member
    Dude I just bought these and could not be happier:

Scott MTB Comp Shoes > Apparel > Shoes & Footwear > Men's Mountain Shoes | Jenson USA

Sizing runs small though. I ordered a 47 which is supposed to be 13, but it's a 12.5.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Actually I would like a shoe than look completely normal and casual in everyday life, it just has cleats. Not sure what there are no more such shoes around.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by toni31 View Post
    Actually I would like a shoe than look completely normal and casual in everyday life, it just has cleats. Not sure what there are no more such shoes around.
    Just run platform pedals then. If you read around, theres research showing the clipless pedals power efficiency is negligible. Ive used both, my stiff clipless i could still walk and hike in, in fact better in mud than my flats. Flat pedal shoes tend to not have big lugs or spikes. But ive pretty much switched to platforms now.
    If you’re r set on SPDs, you might want to look at models aimed at touring for what you’re describing. Casual looking shoes that still have cleat.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Not sure about power efficiency for clipless vs flat shoes, however I ride a lot of touring and the biggest problem for me is adjusting feet position (since I am all crooked and distorted ). So every time I land on the pedal, I have to keep adjusting at least one of my foot for some time until they look right at least in my eyes when I look down. So you keep adjusting your feet while pedaling until you feel satisfied and it looks 'right'. I guess if I had clipless shoes then I would just clip in (once I adjust cleats to my liking's) and I wouldn't have to worry about feet position any more. And once clipped in my feet wouldnt wonder around as I pedal.

mtbr member
    Giro Republic are the ones I always eye but never buy. I have the Giro Nashbar shoes and they are fine to wear but click like high heels over the spike bosses.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
    Giro Republic are the ones I always eye but never buy. I have the Giro Nashbar shoes and they are fine to wear but click like high heels over the spike bosses.
    I have the republics on my road bike and they're great for that. I wouldn't use them for mtb at all though, definitely more of a road-touring type shoe.

mtbr member
    I have a pair of Specialized S-Works that are 3 - 4 years now. Very well ventilated for hot summer, fit great and seems to be able to last a few seasons more still looking good. Don't walk a lot in them so cannot say if the knobs will last if you do.
    it is harder to get fit than to stay fit