MTB shoes w/o the soccerlike cleats- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012

MTB shoes w/o the soccerlike cleats

Hello forum, I was wondering if anyone knew of any other shoes that do not have the soccer shoe like cleats on the sole. It's a lack of term, but if I call it the cleat, I do not want anyone to think I'm talking about the actual clip cleat. I am aware of the Mavic Alpine and the Specialized Rime MTB. I like the look of both and am leaning towards the Mavic, as it's more in my price range, but are there any other choices out there that are within the same vicinity of stylishness and function? The Specialize would be the preferable choice but it's just too expensive at this time.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Those are removable from all shoes if you don't want them.

mtbr member
    Have you checked out 5.10 Shoes? I'm personally getting a pair of the Freerider's myself once I go to get a new pair.
    2009 Mongoose Teocali Comp

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazda Guy View Post
    Have you checked out 5.10 Shoes? I'm personally getting a pair of the Freerider's myself once I go to get a new pair.
    MAJOR bump for 5.10 shoes. I ride their impacts which are designed for platforms and they grip to my platforms like I'm clipped in. I love them! They have other shoes which have the perfect amount of rigidity for pedaling hard but also have just enough flex to hike your bike up with out feeling like cleats. Easily the best upgrade I've done to my riding that does not include the bike itself.

Uly
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I'm sporting these right now. Pretty darn good.
    fiveten maltese falcon

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You can also check out the Teva links and pinner.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Also SixSixOne Filter might be worth a look

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    thanks for all the replies guys. i have considered the 5.10 but they look very bulky and heavy. but if they are the only other option that are in my price range, i may have to consider.

as for removing the cleats, i still want something with a hard rubber sole for time when i have to hike over boulders.

the ideal shoe would be like the two i mentioned above. something low profile like a normal cross country shoe but without the cleats and with a rubber sole.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpy6 View Post
    thanks for all the replies guys. i have considered the 5.10 but they look very bulky and heavy. but if they are the only other option that are in my price range, i may have to consider.

as for removing the cleats, i still want something with a hard rubber sole for time when i have to hike over boulders.

the ideal shoe would be like the two i mentioned above. something low profile like a normal cross country shoe but without the cleats and with a rubber sole.

Thanks!
    Some SPD shoes have rubber soles (usually the less-expensive ones BTW), so with the toe cleats removed, they are fine to walk in. Usually they come without the toe cleats installed and some kind of plug to fill the bolt hole.

mtbr member

Thanks!
    Specialized Rime All Mountain Bike Shoe With Vibram Sole | MTBR Interbike Coverage

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Thanks!
    So look at the Spec Tahoe Sport. Much lower price,

Most shoe companies offer similar models
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I use indoor soccer shoes. They are low profile, have a rubber sole with minimal tread, and aren't too expensive. I wish the soul was a bit stiffer, but I can't complain since they're not actually made for riding. And best of all, they don't have that annoying cleat cover. I've used MTB shoes with a cleat cover and I find it very awkward to hike my bike, especially over rocks. I was very happy when I discovered indoor soccer shoes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    These are exactly what i would like. they just run on the more expensive side. just wondering if there was anything else out there that was similar and less expensive that i haven't found yet.

thanks though guys!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    These are exactly what i would like. they just run on the more expensive side. just wondering if there was anything else out there that was similar and less expensive that i haven't found yet.

thanks though guys!
    Did you even look at the Tahoe Sport?
    Same outsole. Same shape. Laces and Velcro instead of a dial. LESS weight. $75-80 cheaper.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Pearl Izumi X-Alp Enduro III

banned
    Jun 2007
    Another vote for the Pearl Izumi.

Went with the X-Alp Elite for my narrow heels,
    @ $150 they weren't cheap, but boy do I have happy feet!

Helmetless Crasher
    Most every mtb shoe I've seen comes w/out the soccer cleats installed. You buy and install if you want them. You remove if you don't want.

Total non-issue.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The problem with SPD shoes is that they curve under the forefoot, so it's really hard to maintain good pedal contact. What you want is a flat soled shoe, most of which are not SPD compatible and tend to be on the soft side. The best one I have tried to date was the Five Ten Hellcat.

I'm riding some Specialized Tahoe now, they are fair for flats, not great by any stretch. I'm in the process of returning some X Alp Elites, same problme as most SPD compatible shoes, the rockered sole gets poor pedal contact.

The Five Ten Baron and Freerider are soft, Out of the box they are deceiving, so take care because they get as soft as a pair of tenning shoes.The Impact is a little better, but for all it's bulkiness it gets soft too.

Teva The Links looks promising, I just got a pair and they are stiffer than I expected, nearly the same feel out of the box as the Impacts, but at 2/3 the weight. The Teva is hydrophobic, so it should last better than the Five Tens which are built with a cardboard last; that explains why they break down so fast.

For weight, stiffness, and comfort, the Teva are pretty sweet; though I can't speak to how they'll feel in a couple months...
    Lrg GG Shred Dogg
    Lrg Fezzari Signal Peak
    Lrg Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

I Ride Bikes
    5.10's

I'm running the Minnaar right now. A little heavy, but it's not that bad. Then again I wear steel toed boots all day long at work, so these are much lighter in comparision.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    For SPD, I'm rocking an old set of Shimano M036 Sport (a predecessor to the MT33 mentioned above) shoes that have served me well. Be mindful though that, if you ride in the wet, the soccer/football type soles will provide you much more assured footing in situations that may require you to hike-a-bike.

For flats, I have the Teva Pinners and have no complaints about them.

Rui
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I use Shimano MT52

Members who have read this thread: 0