Are MTB Shoes Ready for the ss 29er?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Are MTB Shoes Ready for the ss 29er?

Anyone else asking themselves this question?

A plea to you purists...Please dont ask me to go to the shoe forum or the ss forum! so many of us run ss 29ers here that i want to stay with my people!!!

I have a new pair of Sidi Dominators and under the torque of the ss i find them to be on the flexy side. I had an older pair of shimano 225's that i thought were way stiffer with the carbon sole but the new high end shimanos just fit like crap on my foot as the toe box was way too wide.

Whether its the tounges shifting around under pressure or vibrations (or whatever we want to name this sensation) being transferred to the arch of my foot on occasion i just dont think the are stiff enough. This is not an every day phenomenon for me but I'm wondering if anyone else expierences this and if anyone does not is it just beacuse:
    a) you have super smooth pedal stroke
    b) you run a stiffer shoe than the sidis- which ones
    c) its a combo of both ad i should quit my *****in!

I'm thinking the mtb shoe market needs a new shoe!

Appalachian Singletrack'n
    I Have similar issues, I love Sidis they fit me better than anything else but the soles suck for SS. I get serious knee pain from my older Sidi shoes on the SS. I tried several pair of very high end carbon shoes last year, all of which where poorly constructed (Specialized), didn’t fit well or were impossible to walk in on hike a bike sections. My solution has been to switch peddles instead of shoes. I found peddles with small platforms like Crank Brothers “Candies” has given me the added support I needed so I don’t feel like I’m curling my toes around the peddle spindle but I still get to wear my favorite shoes.
    Last edited by Endomaniac; 03-28-2007 at 12:17 PM.

Recovering couch patato
    I like Crankbros Mallet C pedals for SS. Make even the softest shoe nice and capable for SS.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Walking in Sidis...

This is a dangerous proposition if you're walking on anything other than soft dirt. Rocks, logs, roots, frozen ground, etc? Forget it. We call it the Sidi Shuffle. Why can't they just put rubber on the sole instead of their injection molded thermoplastic or whatever it is? Come on, we need to walk in these shoes on occasion!

Rant over for now...

Addressing jomissa's original comment, I have noticed that Sidi now makes full carbon soled shoes. Maybe they'll help the issue if you're willing to shell out the $$$$$$ for them.

Jeremy

mtbr member
    The Sidi's are beautiful soft Itailan leather, which make them feel sooo good the moment you first put them on.
    However that same softness allows your foot to just about roll out of those things. The older they get the worse the problem.
    I found that Shimano carbons to be top notch when on the bike but nearly impossible off the bike, especially on anything wet! They also develop a stink that will not go away!

Unlike Endo, I love my Specialized shoes. I got the comps I think, not the top of the line but the next one down in the line.
    They took a little time to break in and I was a little worried for the first few rides cause they were hurtin the tops of my feet.
    But they are great now and have a stable platform on top of the pedal (time) and just enough toe flex for sure footed off the bike antics. They have become invisible, and that's what you want in the machine/human interface area.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jomissa
    Anyone else asking themselves this question?

A plea to you purists...Please dont ask me to go to the shoe forum or the ss forum! so many of us run ss 29ers here that i want to stay with my people!!!

I have a new pair of Sidi Dominators and under the torque of the ss i find them to be on the flexy side. I had an older pair of shimano 225's that i thought were way stiffer with the carbon sole but the new high end shimanos just fit like crap on my foot as the toe box was way too wide.

Whether its the tounges shifting around under pressure or vibrations (or whatever we want to name this sensation) being transferred to the arch of my foot on occasion i just dont think the are stiff enough. This is not an every day phenomenon for me but I'm wondering if anyone else expierences this and if anyone does not is it just beacuse:
    a) you have super smooth pedal stroke
    b) you run a stiffer shoe than the sidis- which ones
    c) its a combo of both ad i should quit my *****in!

I'm thinking the mtb shoe market needs a new shoe!
    Wow, I guess I am just not very discriminating about shoes. Pretty much anything that fits my foot works for me on my Frogs. My mountain shoes are sort of like a pair of Vans with cleats. I can see the benifit of a stiffer sole power-wise, but I like my shoes to have a little bit of give for comfort. As long as there is good support for the cleat so it does not dig into the ball of my foot, I'm happy.

So, it is definitly not b so therefore not c, but I don't know that a is particularly true of me either.

So, maybe it is c without the "combo of both" part

loud hubs save lives
    i've been wearing some specialized BG comp and i find them more comfortable than the sidis and relatively stiff (paired with candy SLs). they've been easy to walk in ... to address the original poster, these come in a carbon sole that is super stiff, for less than the sidi dominators.

mtbr member
    I too have had success with Specialized shoes. I use the BG Sport Mountain model on both my SS cyclocross and SS 29er. My pedals are always Time Atac XE/XS, and I have never experienced flexing nor discomfort in the shoe department. I have used them for over a year now.

For $85 MSRP (<$50 on sale), I am pleased.

J

mtbr member
    May 2005

Laces

MTB shoes departed from laces so long ago I think everyone has forgotten what it can be like to form the instep and sides of one's shoes to the feet using the infinitely adjustable tension of 6-8 sets of eyelets and lace. There are still a few models out there (like this one) that use laces.

Custom shoes are very expensive but would certainly fit well enough to remain tight under lots of body/pedal english.

Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
    Quote Originally Posted by jomissa
    I had an older pair of shimano 225's that i thought were way stiffer with the carbon sole but the new high end shimanos just fit like crap on my foot as the toe box was way too wide.
    Bummer that the newer high-end Shimano carbon sole MTB shoes don't fit you good. I absolutely love the SH-M225's. Aside from a long break-in period they fit and feel great for my daily SS'ing needs. What about trying some Superfeet insoles? Or different socks?

MTB Rider

True ...

Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    I like Crankbros Mallet C pedals for SS. Make even the softest shoe nice and capable for SS.
    True, due to the concave design if your using an open lugged shoe you'll have two points of contact when clipped into the mallets. My Body Geometry Comps fit right in there and even make contact on the wings. Spacers may be required to achieve the required result.

Feb 2007
    I am using the Sette (Price Point) Element shoes with my Karate Monkey with egg beaters and have found they work great. I think it was 80$ for the shoes and pedals together. Someone mentioned the mallet too. I have those on my Cross Check that I use for trails and in town, that is a great pedal as well.

mtbr member
    What makes a SS MTB shoe different than a geared MTB shoe?

Are SS MTB shoes designed for more walking?
    "Reports of my death are greatly exaggerated" -- Mark Twain.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    My size 50 Sidi's stay stiff for about a year, then get floppy. Specialized BG shoes used to fit me, pre-04 I think, then there largest size got smaller. I loved the BG and the stiffness.

Not sure what you guys are saying about your foot coming out or not being able to walk/hike in them as my foot stays in all nice like and I hike more than the average bear. Weird.

I use Time Atac's and find a decent pedal/shoe interface. I'm pretty sure though, the Candy "platform" doesn't even contact the shoe, more like a placebo of "more there" me thinks.

mtbr member
    I like the Shimano carbons for stiffness and durability although the fit isn't the best. I installed a pair of Superfeet insoles and comfort and fit increased almost immediately.

mtbr member
    29er specific shoes???????
    Has this forum "jumped the shark"?

Master of the Obvious
    Quote Originally Posted by craig

Fonzi says "SIT ON IT"

Check out my Blog!
    Yes ! I am posting on my Blog again! come visit!

Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JST169
    This is a dangerous proposition if you're walking on anything other than soft dirt. Rocks, logs, roots, frozen ground, etc? Forget it. We call it the Sidi Shuffle. Why can't they just put rubber on the sole instead of their injection molded thermoplastic or whatever it is? Come on, we need to walk in these shoes on occasion!

Rant over for now...

Addressing jomissa's original comment, I have noticed that Sidi now makes full carbon soled shoes. Maybe they'll help the issue if you're willing to shell out the $$$$$$ for them.

Jeremy

I can say that Lake's have the "Virbratum" (sp) soles which are nice, but after a 14mo of heavy use they are starting to show it on the lugs of the sole via some peeling.

I second the Spec RH shoes, I still have a pair from 98-99 that rock, well minus a rip on the side of them.
    CyclingCentralVa.org
    Shop Hand
    On-One Lurcher
    S-Works DEMO
    Crux
    BMC SLR01
    LOOK675

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xJAHx
    I too have had success with Specialized shoes. I use the BG Sport Mountain model on both my SS cyclocross and SS 29er. My pedals are always Time Atac XE/XS, and I have never experienced flexing nor discomfort in the shoe department. I have used them for over a year now.

For $85 MSRP (<$50 on sale), I am pleased.

J
    This is good to hear, cause I just bought a pair of these this weekend. So far, I haven't used them on the bike yet, but they feel super comfy as far as cycling shoes go.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    that would be cool.....29er specific shoes! with oversized soles...and fatty laces.
    Last edited by jomissa; 03-28-2007 at 03:50 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

It's the pedal IMO not so much the shoe

SingIe speeding makes this issue worse. For this reason on my ss I use pedals with a larger surface-area/platform (Shimano, CrankBro, Time offer these). I think it is the reason most road pedals are made this way too.

Expert Pushing SSer
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    Specialized BG shoes
    If these are what replaced my beloved Ground Controls c.1997, they will last for a long time. I am still trying to kill them. I almost succeded by putting them into our industrial oven calibrated to 220F. The soles separated from the leather bodies. I had to duct tape them together for my PM commute. I shoe gooed them, I hope they last another season, I am so cheap. Blah blah blah....end dribble

Tuff Schist

Captain Underpants
    Quote Originally Posted by craig
    not until we start posting questions like:

What 29er specific bar ends should I use?
    What is the best 29er saddle?
    What 29er specific hydration pack should I use?

Members who have read this thread: 0