MTB shoes & pedals, need suggestion pls!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

MTB shoes & pedals, need suggestion pls!

these clip on carbon sole shoes and hard plastic shoes for MTB riding stink when you try to temporarily hike up a small hill or anything else that requires grip. Anyone have good suggestions from personal use and experience of MTB shoes that are flexible to diff enviroments?
    Last edited by ahrs88; 11-04-2010 at 04:07 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    my budget is under 130 or so

T.W.O.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    510 impact and wellgo mg1s are what I use. I used clipless yesterday for the first time in months and didnt like it. (racing I will use them) But I absolutely love the 510/wellgo combo.
    jenson has the desert enforcers on sale for 59 bucks (tan impacts) and ebay I got my mg1s for 29 bucks.
    so there you go, a solid set up for less than 100 bucks.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    For SPDs I really like my current Shimano AM50 and PD647 combo.

Comfy, grippy, with good ankle and toe box protection. A good option for hike a bike type missions and general trail riding.

If you want flats, I'd go with 5.10 impacts and DMR V12 pedals (or very similar).

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I rode platforms forever and I finally made the jump to clip-ins and I couldn't believe how much of a difference it made and how easy to clip in and out it really was. My rides got 100x better...

I did tons of research..

For pedals I got the Shimano PD-M520 -- they're $35 with excellent reviews, can take hits from rocks, and clip in/out GREAT, and you can even adjust the setting...

https://cliplesspedals.org/shimano-p...s-with-cleats/

For my shoes, I chose Shimano SH-M086L. These things feel like my trainers I used to wear for baseball and are extremely comfortable. The extra strap on top definitely provides a really comfortable/tight fit.

https://cliplesspedals.org/shimano-s...oe-mens-black/

My budget was the same as yours and I couldn't be happier with my purchase... good luck, I hope you find out how great riding clipped in really is!

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by ross86
    I rode platforms forever and I finally made the jump to clip-ins and I couldn't believe how much of a difference it made and how easy to clip in and out it really was. My rides got 100x better...
    I did tons of research..
    I hope you find out how great riding clipped in really is!
    Clipless shoes still a bit firm, it's ok for short hike, any longer just plain blows.

I think it's definitely pros and cons on both pedals, I added platform in the mix of my riding, it's been quite an improvement. CL is not be all, end all. Unless you've been riding with toe clips, CL is not 100x better, that I know

trail addict
    Quote Originally Posted by ahrs88
    these clip on carbon sole shoes and hard plastic shoes for MTB riding stink when you try to temporarily hike up a small hill or anything else that requires grip. Anyone have good suggestions from personal use and experience of MTB shoes that are flexible to diff enviroments?
    I always recommend M520s for pedals and Sette Enduro shoes from pricepoint.... a very cheap way to get into the clipless game and the shoes don't look (imo) stupid, they last a long time, very comfotabe for walking when needed.... the 520s are (almost) idiot-proof.
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

Members who have read this thread: 0