MTB Shoes - Advise- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

MTB Shoes - Advise

I'm thinking of buying a pair of one these shoes, Sette Rival or 661 Nuevo. Does anyone know anything about either of them?

Thanks
    Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pnightshade
    I'm thinking of buying a pair of one these shoes, Sette Rival or 661 Nuevo. Does anyone know anything about either of them?

Thanks
    Mark

do not know anything about either, but get the ones on the bottom ..they look to have better traction

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    i have the 661 Nuevo... they're pretty nice and inexpensive... they're slippery when wet on cement though. And they pack dirt a little bit if you step on mud at the cleats. But for the money you can complain. They're pretty nice... great protection and tourque too with the stiff sole. But it's stiff all the way unlike some Specialized shoes where the top is still flexy and you can hike...

Nov 2006
    This post reminded me, I haven't gotten MTB shoes yet.. I'm getting an Alpine 650.. What shoes do I look for?? Are there special requirements with the type of pedals that are on the 650? What do you guys look for in a good MTB shoe? I will tell you that I have flat arches so sometimes hard to find a comfortable shoe.

TIA,
    Kevin

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by keviningeorgia
    This post reminded me, I haven't gotten MTB shoes yet.. I'm getting an Alpine 650.. What shoes do I look for?? Are there special requirements with the type of pedals that are on the 650? What do you guys look for in a good MTB shoe? I will tell you that I have flat arches so sometimes hard to find a comfortable shoe.

TIA,
    Kevin

You clipless pedals are shimano spd and come with 2 bolt cleats.

So you will need shoes that accept 2 bolt cleats, which are most shoes.

the bottoms should look similar to this:

http://www.nashbar.com/profile_morei...u=16130&brand=

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I was actaully torn between both of these shoes to go with my new trophy comp X7. I went with the settes, they were on sale for like 25 bucks! Plus reading the reviews on the 661's casued me concern, a lot of folks were sayin they don't hold up well, and they come with laces that are too long.

So I've been out on a couple of rides with the settes and I can't complain, they seam nice enough, should have probably gone a size bigger to fit big socks in the winter (frozen toes! burr). But, I went on the smaller size as this is my first time around with clipless and I wanted a nice snug fit for quick easy exits. So far so good, seems like a very nice shoe for 25 bucks!

mtbr member
    I went with the Settes too, for $25 how can you go wrong. I received them yesterday so I haven't been able to try them out yet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by keviningeorgia

TIA,
    Kevin
    Kevin,

For starters, you want a good, stiff sole. MTB shoes aren't as stiff as road shoes because you need to be able to walk in them, but they will be stiffer than regular sneakers. If you've ever ridden a significant distance in running shoes, you'll know why you want stiff soles. Better power transfer, and it should keep the bottom of your feet from hurting.

The pedals on the 650 are SPD's, so all you need to do is find shoes that are SPD compatible. Shimano shoes (duh) are compatible, but I might point you in the direction of Diadora. They make nice shoes that are pretty inexpensive. I've been wearing my Geckos for over two years now, probably close to 3,000.00 miles and they're still going strong. Pretty comfy both on and off the bike. Not too shabby for $50.00.

Other things you might look for: I like not having any laces exposed - either velcro closures by itself, or the flap that covers the laces. Good ventilation so your feet don't get hot. And of course, fit - try on a few pairs to see what they wear like, they don't wear differently than regular shoes.

Good luck.

Members who have read this thread: 0