Mtb shoes- Mtbr.com

Thread: Mtb shoes

mtbr member
    May 2017

Mtb shoes

What type of shoes do u guys recommend for flat peddles for trail riding , currently using Nike running shoes. But my feet keep slipping

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Fiveten freerider or specialized 2fo

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    +1 for Five Ten.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Another for Five Ten. Freeriders specifically.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Just don't use Asics lightweight running shoes.

I used them once, and surely those shoes are not designed for pedaling. The mesh on the sides popped open, and they got totally deformed with a 20 minutes ride. And those were 3 weeks old shoes

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I use Vans. The waffle tread and gummy sole work well for me. I can usually find them on sale for 30bux which is nice on the wallet.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I wouldnt use anything thats not made for mtb because running shoes wont provide the protection u need from rock strikes.

Ride More - Suffer Less
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonlui View Post
    I wouldnt use anything thats not made for mtb because running shoes wont provide the protection u need from rock strikes.
    Good point. I used Salomon Trail runners for a few years. Traction (after some grinding) was fine but too soft in the toe box. I took a nasty hit to the toes on a rock strike, had me down for a few days. I switched to 2FO as my main shoes now but switch over to 5.10's as well.

Jonesin'
    I used five ten freeriders last year, going to stick with them.
    Only gripe is the soles aren't stiff enough. On longer rides (after about 3 hours) my feet get sore.
    The traction is excellent.
    Don't let it get you down, but there's a good chance you were an accident.
    2017 SC 5010

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Fiveten is coming out with a flat shoe with stiffer soles this year

mtbr member
    The Freerider VXI has a stiffer sole.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonlui View Post
    Fiveten is coming out with a flat shoe with stiffer soles this year

They already have a few.

For sole stiffness, reg Freerider is least stiff<Freerider Contact is a bump up in stiffness (the vxi is probably similar to the Contact)<Freerider Pro is the stiffest so far in that lineup. I got to demo a pair of Freerider Pros and found them too stiff for my liking. Sure, they were efficient, but IMO, I lost more "feel" of the trail/pedals than I liked (it was tough to ensure I had proper foot placement unless I looked at my feet). My reg Freeriders are pretty worn in the soles, so I have some Freerider Contacts coming. Hoping they fit the happy medium I'd like. The reg freeriders aren't horrible, but that extra flex really does encourage you to use more midfoot placement, which avoids most of the soreness problems from the extra flex.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    510 freeriders for sure... much better than the vans I rode in before

Short-Change-Hero
    Yup I am with everyone, 510 is pretty much your premiere to go with. There are a few others like Spesh, Giro, Shimano that have one or two shoes but that is about it and they all seems to have somewhat mixed reviews.

If you are penny pinching, 510 DOES have a clearance section to their site. I got a set of 510 Freerider VXi for $70 to my door last year, just started wearing them this year after injury and so far I am liking them after coming from riding clips for nearly 7yrs. I am interested to see what the Adidas Terrex mtb shoes are like when they are available, have always had good luck with Adidas shoes fitting me very well and I am picky about my shoes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ForrestJones View Post
    I used five ten freeriders last year, going to stick with them.
    Only gripe is the soles aren't stiff enough. On longer rides (after about 3 hours) my feet get sore.
    The traction is excellent.
    Check out the Adidas shoes with stealth rubber. The climbing oriented shoes have pretty stiff midsoles too which help. They also have wider toe box so they fit my foot better than 5-10 shoes.
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

mtbr member
    It's got to be another vote for Five Ten's free riders from me. They've been awesome and when you've got a decent pair of Sealskinz socks on with them it doesn't even matter that they get a little wet.

http://amzn.to/2r2tZu5

Ride Everything
    My personal favorite shoes for flat pedals are 5.10 Freerider Pro or Freerider Contact. In the winter I use their Freerider EPS.

If you're doing a fair amount of walking/hiking, adidas' Terrex Trail Cross SL is a good choice.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by GRAVELBIKE View Post
    My personal favorite shoes for flat pedals are 5.10 Freerider Pro or Freerider Contact. In the winter I use their Freerider EPS.

If you're doing a fair amount of walking/hiking, adidas' Terrex Trail Cross SL is a good choice.
    I was just looking at those Adidas the other day... might have to try a pair out for just wearing around

mtbr member
    Adidas actually own Five Ten so you can be sure the sole quality is going to be as good (they both use the same 'stealth' rubber).

Ride Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by tothetrail.tv View Post
    Adidas actually own Five Ten so you can be sure the sole quality is going to be as good (they both use the same 'stealth' rubber).
    True, but the cup-style soles used on 5.10 Freeriders feel very different than the soles that adidas uses on the Terrex. The tread patterns (dotty vs grooved) also feel different in use.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by GRAVELBIKE View Post
    True, but the cup-style soles used on 5.10 Freeriders feel very different than the soles that adidas uses on the Terrex. The tread patterns (dotty vs grooved) also feel different in use.
    Are you talking about when gripping the pedals or walking around? Material should feel the same as it is their Stealth rubber soles that are being used. Curious about the Adidas as addis have always fit me very well.