MTB Shoes for $85. Pleather or Leather??- Mtbr.com

Oct 2006

MTB Shoes for $85. Pleather or Leather??

I just picked up a pair of Northwave Kameleon shoes for $85. The uppers are made of synthetic material (ie vinyl/pleather). For that price, could I have gotten a pair of real leather shoes? I've seen some nice Lake's and Diadora's for about the same price, but they don't tell you if the shoes are made of real leather. I guess if they don't mention, it's most likely pleather. Anyway, just want to find out if there are leather shoes for around $100. If not, then I'll just stay with the Northwaves.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by ETETET
    I just picked up a pair of Northwave Kameleon shoes for $85. The uppers are made of synthetic material (ie vinyl/pleather). For that price, could I have gotten a pair of real leather shoes? I've seen some nice Lake's and Diadora's for about the same price, but they don't tell you if the shoes are made of real leather. I guess if they don't mention, it's most likely pleather. Anyway, just want to find out if there are leather shoes for around $100. If not, then I'll just stay with the Northwaves.
    Nothing wrong with synthetic shoe uppers. Fit is more important.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    My Shimano 150, Lake MX 85, and Vittoria are all made of synthetic leather, I think my another Diadora Team Racer is the same (not 100% sure). I was skeptical at first because synthetic material doesn’t breath as well as leather for normal shoes. However I found out the ventilation has not been an issue since these shoes still locate lot of porous fabric for air flow, and synthetic just provides much better durability. The same goes to the bike jersey, I prefer cotton clothing for any other sports but synthetic bike shirt wicks sweat faster when you ride in speed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I think it's all pleather, regardless of how much you spend. Leather stretches too much when wet. Especially when your feet sweats so much during rides. Of course I could be wrong, but in this case, I think I'm right

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I take it back the comment about Lake M85 shoes being made of Synthetic, they are actually leather! They are 'coated leather' that looks very shining and plastic, it supposed to enhense the durability and I hope it breath as well as leather, cheer.

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Sidi's are made of synthetic leather.

Thinking about it, leather is not something you'd want mountain biking shoes made from. MTB shoe uppers are made of thin material for a snug fit, they keep getting covered in mud which leaches oils from leather, and they'd need to be constantly cleaned and oiled. Otherwise they'd dry out out and crack.
    Since when did the phrase "invest in" come to mean the same as "buy"?

Oct 2006

Got it!

Thanks for all your input. I've looked at other shoes at local lbs, and all are pleather. If Sidi's are not made with leather, then I'll just keep what I have. Thanks again.

Members who have read this thread: 0