MTB Shoe?- Mtbr.com

Thread: MTB Shoe?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

MTB Shoe?

I'm trying to get some feedback on some mountain bike shoes. This will be my first pair as I'm going to go clipin for the first time. I'm not looking to spend 3 or 400 on a pair. I'm looking for quality, and a shoe that will not fall apart in a year. So, I have it narrowed down to to the following:

Shimano: Not sure (their site is not that helpful).
    Sidi: Dominator 5. (the higher end of my price range).
    Specialized: Sport, comp, expert, rime

Ride on!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mhmtbike View Post
    I'm trying to get some feedback on some mountain bike shoes. This will be my first pair as I'm going to go clipin for the first time. I'm not looking to spend 3 or 400 on a pair. I'm looking for quality, and a shoe that will not fall apart in a year. So, I have it narrowed down to to the following:

Ride on!!
    I have the specialized S-work MTB shoes and I love them very comfortable and can take a beating..

mtbr member
    You don't "need" to spend $300 to $400 for shoes. There are a lot of choices in the $150 to $200 range. I have had a pair of SIDI's that cost around $200 that lasted for nearly a decade of trail use.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by mhmtbike View Post

Ride on!!
    My favorite shoes retail(ed) for ~$125.

Any of the brands you mentioned are fine, but you need to try them on.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Lots of shoe deals on Jenson and Pricepoint. I have never paid more than a hundred bucks for shoes.
    Currently, I am using Adidas.

mtbr member
    All of the brands you mentioned made quality products at a variety of prices. I still wear a pair of 10 year old Shimano shoes. Mavic is also worth a look. You might want to look for deals on last years shoes too. I've seen nice Shimano shoes for 100 dollars on Jensen.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I've been using the Specialized Sport MTB shoes for 15 months, and I'm very happy with them. The sole is stiff (as you would expect for a bike shoe) but they're decent to walk in. They are extremely well ventilated, which is great when it's 90 degrees, but my feet get cold when it's 45 degrees. (Fahrenheit)

They retail for $90.

Texan
    Just bought a pair of Specialized Tahoes and so far, so good. And I run flats, no clipless.

Specialized Bicycle Components : Tahoe Shoe

mtbr member
    I've got a specialized shoe that cost about $90 and is great, but don't listen to me. Go to the store and try on the shoes that are in your price range. Buy the one that feels the best. One piece of advice, only buy shoes with ratchets if the lbs has replacement ratchets in stock.

mtbr member
    Sidi Dominator. Do not buy Specialized shoes with locking mechanism as, if you look closely, you will notice that the piece holding zip-lock is mounted on the shoe itself, meaning that if it breaks (and mine did) you will have to replace entire shoe(s).

Sidi has the best designed entire locking mechanism, everything is replaceable, and the part which is bolted on shoe will never break due to the way it is designed.
    Daemon
    "Worship the Machines."
    www.nivas.hr | www.worship.hr

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ChainChain View Post
    I've got a specialized shoe that cost about $90 and is great, but don't listen to me. Go to the store and try on the shoes that are in your price range. Buy the one that feels the best. One piece of advice, only buy shoes with ratchets if the lbs has replacement ratchets in stock.

Good point about the replacement ratchets.

Racer
    have you ever thought about northwave? they have some great affordable shoes that are very stiff, protective, and high quality. i pedal with the aerlite model

mtbr member
    Another thing to consider; you may want to take that $400 dollars burning a hole in your pocket and buy more than one pair of less expensive shoes. Having two pairs that can be swapped while one set is drying out is really nice. Also, purchasing a pair a half size two big to accommodate neoprene booties for cold weather rides also rocks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleOtter View Post
    Another thing to consider; you may want to take that $400 dollars burning a hole in your pocket and buy more than one pair of less expensive shoes. Having two pairs that can be swapped while one set is drying out is really nice. Also, purchasing a pair a half size two big to accommodate neoprene booties for cold weather rides also rocks!
    What? My shoes are dry in about 4 hours IF i step in a river. If you're doing multiple rides per day you are awesome!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Having two pairs of shoes is not a bad idea. I'm trying to get into the clipin market for around 200 bucks. Including pedals.

T.W.O.
    I have a few Shimano and a few Sidi they are awesome shoes but they don't fit the same. I prefer the Shimano fit over Sidi but it's the opporsite with my brother so try them on before you buy them.

Unless you are racing I'd suggest you go with the mid line, there's no need to go with the top-of-line model as the matter of fact it can work against you. My Shimano M300 is an excellent shoes when clip-in but it's like standing on ice when you unclip and rest your foot on top of the pedal(s), the next one down offer more sole support and excellent for trail riding.

Helmetless Crasher
    I just got a pair of these MT53 Shimanos and love'em. Not nearly as "hiking boot"-bulky as they look in pics, the upper is scooped in the back allowing full ROM for the achilles, yet ample ankle protection on the sides. I tried on a BUNCH of shoes, many costing way more, and these were hands down the most comfortable and best-fitting. Rugged construction, quick-drying and very breathable, too.

Last edited by Stumpjumpy; 10-17-2011 at 05:34 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I was at my LBS and saw the specialized Tahoe and really like them. Right now I using five ten impact with crank bros. 50/50 and my feet stick like glue to the pedal.

mtbr member
    It depends on your driving style. If you ride better will be shoes with buckle such as SH-WM61, SH-M087. For driving tourist better will be Shimano MT-42.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Nashbar and Performance have some good shoes for under $100 right now. Where I ride has plenty of rock gardens so I choose ones w/ stronger materials on the side - the zoom feature on shoe pics is a great help. I also prefer all velcros and not worry about breaking a ratchet etc. For sizing, euro 42 on Sidis, Shimanos and Exustar fits me well consistently. 'hope that helps a bit...
    d butt u kicked today, could b d same butt you'll kiss tomorrow.....