MTB Gloves Suck!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011

MTB Gloves Suck!

Why are mountain bike gloves so flimsy? Most of them have gone from velcro to a slip on design, and even fewer have a nice clarino palm! To top it all off, they're super thin unless you've got a dedicated winter or rain glove. Below nice 60 degree weather, they suck! I'm sticking to moto gloves til something better comes along.

Yeah!
    I've never had an issue slipping a glove liner inside full finger mtb gloves to get me into the 40's. Works very well with water/wind block gloves. It is what you make of it, or not.
    I will suffer no butt-hurt fools!

EAT MORE GRIME
    stop buying crappy gloves
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    I have 2 sets of Endura MT500 gloves that are awesome. Last really long time, protects knuckles and are fairly thick. Good to about 45 degrees.
    :nono:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Honda Guy View Post
    Below nice 60 degree weather, they suck!

If they're good below 60 degrees then they'll suck in warm weather, most mtb gloves are not for warmth. Also I prefer velcro-free because that's usually the first thing to wear out.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Work gloves from a big box store, $ 10-15 or so. Plus they fit my giant hands.

mtbr member
    I have always bought close out moto gloves. Besides they being more durable, it makes no sense to buy 20+$ gloves when last years moto gloves are 10$ a pair.
    In serving the wicked, expect no reward, and be thankful if you escape injury for your pains.

mtbr member
    I detest velcro on gloves, grrrrrr.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for ďI suck at brake control.Ē Hereís a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stalkerfiveo View Post
    I have always bought close out moto gloves. Besides they being more durable, it makes no sense to buy 20+$ gloves when last years moto gloves are 10$ a pair.

You can get last years mtb gloves @ $10-15 a pair too. It's personal preference of course but I prefer thinner, more minimal gloves and mtb specific ones are the best I've tried for that criteria.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Stalkerfiveo View Post
    Iíll second the moto gloves idea. I have a pair of Fox dirt paw gloves that work well when itís not too warm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrs77 View Post
    Iíll second the moto gloves idea. I have a pair of Fox dirt paw gloves that work well when itís not too warm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I use the Fly Kinetic. They work well when it's warm. I wear them down to 30-35 degrees too. But I typically have more trouble keeping my feet warm than my hands.
    In serving the wicked, expect no reward, and be thankful if you escape injury for your pains.

mtbr member
    I use Fox moto gloves and have Fox mtb gloves too, most recent are Fox Ranger. I like velcro as it makes taking the gloves on/off qucker and easier if you need to during a ride. I don't need much in the way of insulation. Lightweight single layer gloves work for me into the mid 40s if it's dry.

I find getting warmed up and the blood flowing before hitting the cold helps prevent my hand and feet from getting cold. If I'm not warmed up, the cold causes blood flow to the hands and feet to be restricted and it's down hill from there, even with fairly heavy gloves and getting hot during the ride. Also tight gloves/shoes restrict blood flow which contributes to cold hands/feet.
    Do the math.

Trail Ninja
    I got 3 pairs of gloves. Been using my cool-moderate temp pair most often.

66+F: anything really, but last year it was Giro DJ. Already torn pretty badly and turned it into a 3/4 finger glove. Prob will replace it with one of those lightweight ones you're talking about.
    38-65F: windstopper gloves. Currently Leatt Airflex Wind. Only minor discomfort at around freezing, and not bad in the summer. The armor makes it worth considering over the lightweight gloves for certain rides.
    below 37F: cold weather mittens. Currently some model from Craft. Toasty... perhaps uncomfortably so in temps above freezing.

I'll take a good hook-and-loop closure over elastic cuffs without hesitation.
    We're all on the same ship, and it's sinking.

Short-Change-Hero
    I have come to the realization that I go through at least one pair of gloves a year. Dont know if it is the fact that I truly am that rough on them or that they just are flimsy. Usually start developing rips at the seam within the first few months of riding. Most won't last a season without major rips or the palms being completely destroyed.

Problem is that I like fairly unobtrusive gloves (meaning somewhat light weight) as riding in the Northern NV Desert requires something that can breath easily during the warmer months, plus my hands sweat like crazy. Tried the TASCO mtb gloves and while they were nice and minimal weight, breathed easy for warm rides, etc. they started to separate at the seam within the first few weeks. Owner was happy to replace but I decided not to at that time as I knew I would just wear through the next set just as quickly.

At this point I am thinking about moving to Mechanix brand gloves or something similar.

mtbr member
    I like handup gloves for MTB thinner gloves when riding easy trails and mult-iuse paths with my wife. When I am riding harder stuff I wear MSR D30 motorcycle gloves, bought at discount through https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...-Impact-Gloves

mtbr member
    Really thin gloves are meant to give at least a little protection while maintaining the most tactile feel for the bars. If I could wrap my head around it, I'd ride with NO gloves all the time (well...except for winter of course). I use some extremely thin gloves a good deal of the time and I've got a couple of heavier pairs for a little more protection if I think I may need it. And, no, they certainly don't have velcro on them. Those velcro straps get dirty and useless as well as adding a hot-spot on my wrist. It's even worse if they're on the bottom of the glove near my palm. Of course, as with everything else, gloves are totally personal.
    Last edited by Joe Handlebar; 02-08-2018 at 09:02 PM.
    The member formerly known as Redtires....

mtbr member
    I bought some Hardy Professional series Gloves for Harbor Freight...awesome protection and feel great.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MTB Gloves Suck!-fullsizeoutput_55f.jpg  

Last edited by ladljon; 02-09-2018 at 05:32 PM.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I'm sticking to moto gloves til something better comes along.
    lol,

Some of us have been using "moto gloves" for 20 years. They are exactly the same as mtb gloves, just cheaper sometimes.

Dedicated winter gloves are usually good in cool temps, pogies are good in cold temps. Thick winter gloves are very detrimental to riding/control in my experience.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    I only buy gloves on close outssales, never pay more than 10 euros. I prefer breathable, minimal style ones and use liners if it's cold. MTB gloves tend to last around a year, less if there are OTB's involved.

I feel most gloves are seriously overpriced and the quality isn't proportional to the asking price. They do live a hard life, but seams tend to fail too easily.

mtbr member
    Why are mountain bike gloves so flimsy? Most of them have gone from velcro to a slip on design, and even fewer have a nice clarino palm! To top it all off, they're super thin unless you've got a dedicated winter or rain glove. Below nice 60 degree weather, they suck! I'm sticking to moto gloves til something better comes along.
    Agree 100% mtb gloves are generally shite!

I buy cheap & expect em to last 3 months ^^

No regrets, or disappointments.

'We'll all make it to the top... Some of us, might not make it to the bottom'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

Elitest thrill junkie
    I do like the thin Pearl Izumi's that have the wind-stopper on the frontside, no thicker than a summer glove, but just enough windstopper to make them good on cooler rides. That's about the only "mtb glove" I pay for.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    I have come to the realization that I go through at least one pair of gloves a year. Dont know if it is the fact that I truly am that rough on them or that they just are flimsy. Usually start developing rips at the seam within the first few months of riding. Most won't last a season without major rips or the palms being completely destroyed.

Problem is that I like fairly unobtrusive gloves (meaning somewhat light weight) as riding in the Northern NV Desert requires something that can breath easily during the warmer months, plus my hands sweat like crazy. Tried the TASCO mtb gloves and while they were nice and minimal weight, breathed easy for warm rides, etc. they started to separate at the seam within the first few weeks. Owner was happy to replace but I decided not to at that time as I knew I would just wear through the next set just as quickly.

At this point I am thinking about moving to Mechanix brand gloves or something similar.
    Tried mesh fingerless?