MTB/Commuting clipless shoes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2009

MTB/Commuting clipless shoes

Before you gas up the flame thrower, hear me out!

I've JUST started biking and I'm submerging myself into it. I've got an '08 Marlin w/BB7s that I'm planning on using clipless pedals on once I become proficient in bunny hopping without them. With that in mind, I need some good MTB shoes that I can use for commuting, thus walking around campus in; probably a mile or more per day just between bike lock ups (better term?). The reviews here seemed to be VERY outdated and severely lacking in search filters; with 620 products, that makes it quite useless to be honest... (I don't mean to offend. It's the truth.)

Another thing, I'm into running and paintball (unchoreographed gymnastics in the woods ) so my footwear tastes are rather honed. The problem is, my LBS's don't carry a decent selection of cycling footwear (I've yet to check REI, though.). I can go to Atlanta and Chattanooga, TN but I think I've found the best shops there already and the selection has been dismal.

Here's the only one I'm considering from the LBS: http://bontrager.com/model/07813/en

What I'm hoping for is a website that has free shipping/return shipping for shoe purchases. I've done this in the past with my trail running shoes and it worked out great. I haven't found a business that does that for cycling shoes, though.

I'm ~210lbs, size 10.5 2E Asics runner, if it matters.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    My experience is that backcountry.com has been great with returns. They have cycling shoes, but it doesn't look like they have many options that would be soft enough to walk a few miles in.

Edit: Not sure where you go to school, you might want to find a garage sale or pawn shop and pick up a dirt cheap road bike that is ridable for your commute. Even locked bikes tend to disappear on campus.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I'm transferring to GA Tech in the summer. I'll be picking up a very used quality bike for around $100 and doing necessary upgrades to it. Then I'll make it look absolutely trashed; mongoose stickers, chipped paint, "rust," the whole nine. I can conceal the hub motor with some saddle bags and the battery will go in my backpack; if I go electric.

I'll check out BackCountry, thanks!

jrm
    mtbr member

The specialized Tahoe

[is a bit of a hybrid shoe. I for one commute in sidis and keep a pair of shoes at the other end for use off the bike. Im sure you could find a locker somewhere on campus to keep a stash of shoes foul weather gear..ect...ect

yes ive forgot my street shoes a couple of times and had to wear my sidis in the office. Wearing them all day sure makes me appreciate a good pair of street shoes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    If you have a local REI, Keen has a new springwater bike shoe. I use the Keen commuter sandals for my commute/walking around for summers here in AZ. Bit pricey but thought I would throw them out there.

http://www.rei.com/product/782477

Bedwards Of The West
    In my refined, educated, hiking, running, woods-loving, bike geek opinion, there is no shoe that will do what you want it to do very well. You need a pair of beater bike shoes and a backpack for your Merrell's. Just my two cents.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Wearing Merrell's right now. In class, so halfway reading the thread, but thought I had to post that.

Bedwards Of The West
    Obviously you're wearing merrills. You told us what your interests were

Now go spend 35 bucks on some low-end mtb shoes for the commute, and either carry or stash the Merrills on campus.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I have shimano MT40s...comfy for riding, but cleat jsut touches when walking, so not good there. Co-Worker has Cannondale Roams...he loves them...wears them around campus (also students) walking, etc. Neither pair cost more than $50...were purchased at REI, and have held up from more than 2 seasons of 4000 mile + commuting.

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    pearl izumi x-alp series is exactly what you want, a shoe you can ride and hike in. they designed it with adventure racers in mind as a do everything shoe. i know quite a few guys that love 'em. i've only tried them on and they seemed like a pretty cool idea, but i didn't need anything quite like them, so i didn't buy.
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    The Merrells' I'm wearing are dress shoes, though. Didn't expect that, didja!?

If REI has Roams in stock, I'll probably end up with those. Thanks for the recommendation! I don't think I've had any pair of shoes last two years of use, except the paintball cleats that were sewn with Kevlar. The Roams look really good, too. That helps... If they don't work out, I'll just carry my worn out Asics for moseying around in. At $50, I cannot complain.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    661 makes some ballin SPD compatible skate-style shoes. I will be sporting a pair when I start commuting to campus. my other non-bike hobby is longboarding, so I'm a real fan of skate shoes - I guess you'll need to search for some appropriate hybrid as well.

But the 661 shoes look promising!
    Quote Originally Posted by sickspeed16
    Your not all mountain unless your runnin' crushed dew cans..
    '12 Scalpel 29er Carbon 1
    '13 SuperSix EVO Red Racing

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I tried on many different cycling shoes at REI and all but one LBS in North GA. I ended up with some Specialized Taho's for $60. The fit is on par with my running shoes, so I couldn't be happier. They are moderately comfortable while walking of hard surfaces; comparable to the Pearl Izumi X-Alp Seek's I tried on, but with a better fit.

Now I'm try to decide if I want to pick up these CB Mallet C's or something from the LBS. $54 (shipped) seems like a really good price for those...

Members who have read this thread: 0