Mountain Biking With Clip/Shoes?- Mtbr.com

Jul 2004

New question here. Mountain Biking With Clip/Shoes?

What difference does it make riding with MTB Shoes and Pedals? Is it more dangerous? What about when you crash are you pretty mutch screwed or can you get a foot down quickly and safely to stop a potential fall?

Nim

Jan 2004

Aahhh the never ending question!

Everyone I ride with goes clipless and mountain shoes. Some people swear by platform pedals. I think clipless is the way to go. Yeah, there is a learning curve. Yes, you will fall over in the beginning. But after some time your feet will release without thought. In the long run, you'll be a more efficient rider with clipless. Do a search for past threads and you get all the opinions you can ask for!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nim
    Everyone I ride with goes clipless and mountain shoes. Some people swear by platform pedals. I think clipless is the way to go. Yeah, there is a learning curve. Yes, you will fall over in the beginning. But after some time your feet will release without thought. In the long run, you'll be a more efficient rider with clipless. Do a search for past threads and you get all the opinions you can ask for!
    I agree. I had my front-end wash out on me this past weekend and I managed to unclip, scoot around the bars, and land on my feet (had to run it out a bit, too). I have *no idea* how I clipped out in time to do all that but it happened. If you think about unclipping, it's difficult but when you really need to, it just seems to happen.

Oh, and I did this little stunt in front of a girl's riding clinic at Big Bear - TADA! Sorry ladies, I'm taken

That said, I'm sure clipless pedals will eventualy result in a bailout that is worse than with platforms but I'll never have my feet fall off pedals on really rough trails nor take a sharp platform pedal to my leg.

Apr 2004
    Check the beginners corner boards. That question gets repeated there alot. I love my pedals, makes riding easier i think one less thing to think about

Sho

tlg
    (enter witty phrase here)
    Quote Originally Posted by sobol75
    What difference does it make riding with MTB Shoes and Pedals? Is it more dangerous? What about when you crash are you pretty mutch screwed or can you get a foot down quickly and safely to stop a potential fall?
    Depends on the type of riding you do. I find it less dangerous. Before I made the switch, on several instances my feet slipped of the pedal in technical areas. Almost had serious injuries several times.
    Every time I've crashed my feet came right out without even thinking about it. Even over the handlebars. I keep the tension rather loose so the pop right out.

It seems the most danger is when you're riding casually or come to a stop and don't think about them then fall right over.

Jun 2004

Smile Once you go clipless you’ll never go back...

I was a die hard plaform rider until this season. This season I finally made the switch to clipless. Now I have most of the crew I ride with going clipless. Except those that were already clipless. It took a few rides to condition the muscels I hadn't used before but now it makes riding more enjoyable. The climbing is easier with the "pull" and the decends are better over the rocky terrain. It gives you more comfidence knowing you are cliped in.

The only tip is think before you stop (that means on climbs too). Other then that you should be good.

Mar 2004

I ride platforms

Deleted for brevity
    It seems the most danger is when you're riding casually or come to a stop and don't think about them then fall right over.[/QUOTE]

I find it hard in NJ to ride clipless, You have to dab alot. I saw a couple of guys riding without helmets a couple days ago too. They looked like they were riding aweful carefully down the boulder strewn downhill sections, where I bomb through with the confidence that my platforms and shin pads give me. I think I would have to be more careful about bridges and others stunt stuff if I had clipless.

By the way I have a set of brand new never used cb mallets if anyone wants them.

Mar 2004
    I'm kind of skeptical of the guy that says he rides trails with rocks and boulders with platform pedals better than clipless. I did the platform pedal thing for several years but when I finally switched to clipless I found I had much better stability in the rough stuff. That's because my feet don't get bounced of the pedals

Mar 2004

Platforms are pretty stable if

Quote Originally Posted by DrGlen51
    I'm kind of skeptical of the guy that says he rides trails with rocks and boulders with platform pedals better than clipless. I did the platform pedal thing for several years but when I finally switched to clipless I found I had much better stability in the rough stuff. That's because my feet don't get bounced of the pedals
    You pinch your arches up against the crankarm. Again my biggest beef with clipless is I think people may hold back because of that fear in the back of their head that they will wipe and not be able to get out.

I already rode that
    Depends on your learning curve. I adjusted to clipless pedals pretty easy but I do have this mark on my leg when I couldnt get out of my pedals intime and fell over hitting the top of my shin on the inside agianst the toptube of my bike. Crushed skin..mmmm
    That was pretty well my only big crash with clipless and not unclipping intime. Well there has been others but I would say that was the worse for just starting with clipless.

I've ridden platform pedals just as good as clipless but thats just me. For example one day I forget my shoes and had to wear my normal shoes but lucky for me I also was using those pedals with the bear traps around the clipless part. I made it up every hill my friends did and then some that they couldnt. Of course they all asked me how could I do it but all I did was just laugh

Mostly XC/trail riding clipless is the way to go. If your doing stunts then use platforms for them.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Philo Beddoe
    You pinch your arches up against the crankarm. Again my biggest beef with clipless is I think people may hold back because of that fear in the back of their head that they will wipe and not be able to get out.
    I ride more aggressively with clipless pedals because I know my feet will stay on the pedals even when I use body english to maneuver. I could never do that if I had to hold my feet against the crankarms. I have no issues clipping in or out. Instant dabs are second nature.

Except for full-on trials-type riding I will not ride without clipless. I would give up suspension, disc brakes and big tires before clipless pedals.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Jun 2004
    I am a recent clipless convert. I am riding a pedal right now that is a platform/clipless combo. It gives me the security of not clipping in on difficult parts and the benefits of riding clipless.

My best piece of advice for getting used to clipping and unclipping is to ride a route that's relatively flat where you won't have to make stops and just practice clipping in and out. I rode circles around a big field until I felt comfortable clipping in and out and then I went on a ride on the road and did just fine. I haven't fallen yet.

Good luck to you!

V-Shaped Rut
    I rode platforms with toe clips for 4 years. I almost stayed with them because I got a set of eggbeaters. Sure they're light, but they have no spring tension adjust and are a b!tch to get out of quickly.

Since switching to SPD's set fairly loose I'm fine even over technical sections where I might need to get out quickly. And yes, they inspire more confidence even on downhills because your feet don't slip off or get bounced off.

Quote Originally Posted by big_slacker
    I rode platforms with toe clips for 4 years. I almost stayed with them because I got a set of eggbeaters. Sure they're light, but they have no spring tension adjust and are a b!tch to get out of quickly.

Since switching to SPD's set fairly loose I'm fine even over technical sections where I might need to get out quickly. And yes, they inspire more confidence even on downhills because your feet don't slip off or get bounced off.
    Eggbeaters are my pedals of choice. I have no issues with release. I have heard of light weight riders (under 125 lbs) having trouble with the tension. Some riders may not like the fairly high release angle (15 or 20°). It took me about 45 seconds to adjust to them after using Look S2R clipless for 8 years (6° release).

I also use the Mallet clipless platform. They are very good, too, though I find them slightly harder to clip in to.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Back in like '89-'91 I rode Sidi cleated cyclocross shoes with clips and straps and those were 10 times more dangerous that any clipless I have ever ridden. I didn't realize that there were people out there still riding clips/straps..

V-Shaped Rut
    I had quite a few tip over falls with mine and I'm 165 lbs, just couldn't pull out quick enough. It is the release angle. With no spring tension adjust I can't just pull straight out. Still got a set of cromo's if you want 'em for cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy©®™
    Eggbeaters are my pedals of choice. I have no issues with release. I have heard of light weight riders (under 125 lbs) having trouble with the tension. Some riders may not like the fairly high release angle (15 or 20°). It took me about 45 seconds to adjust to them after using Look S2R clipless for 8 years (6° release).

I also use the Mallet clipless platform. They are very good, too, though I find them slightly harder to clip in to.

Jan 2004

If you crash, you will die!

Quote Originally Posted by big_slacker
    I had quite a few tip over falls with mine and I'm 165 lbs, just couldn't pull out quick enough. It is the release angle. With no spring tension adjust I can't just pull straight out. Still got a set of cromo's if you want 'em for cheap.
    No clipless pedal is designed so you can pull straight out. They all require a twist of the foot,

Also, if you try to release while lifting your foot - even while turning your heel out (with most any pedal) - the cleat tends to hang up. A Down and out motion with the heel works best.

Using shims under the cleat will help make it easier to clip in and out, too. And I adjust my cleat angle so my heels just clear the crankarms.
    mtbtires.com

V-Shaped Rut
    No doubt, but set the spring tension loose enough and you can get out very eaily with next to no twist as I'm sure we all know.

The eggbeaters are just simply harder to adjust to for me and I'm much more comfortable with SPDs. Since I'm not THAT hung up about weight I see no reason to go back to them.

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy©®™
    No clipless pedal is designed so you can pull straight out. They all require a twist of the foot,

Also, if you try to release while lifting your foot - even while turning your heel out (with most any pedal) - the cleat tends to hang up. A Down and out motion with the heel works best.

Using shims under the cleat will help make it easier to clip in and out, too. And I adjust my cleat angle so my heels just clear the crankarms.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I weigh 130 pounds and don't like the Egg Beaters and Time ATACS. I had difficulty getting of those saddles, especially after a long him climbs and my legs are like jello.

I like the SPD style pedals that have the release tension adjustment, I have mine set the easiest setting.

Don't laugh... One product that I recommend for peeps who are timid about clipping in, are those Powerstrap pedals with the diagonal strap. Don't knock it til you try it. It's smoooooth jazz easy to get into those and out even smoooother jazz getting out. Even Grant Peterson sells those on his Rivendell site. A highly underrated and overlooked product in my book.

https://www.ekosport.com/pg_benefits.shtml
    https://www.ekosport.com/pg_press_co...tml?pgpress011

Buy products mentioned in this post: Roach Motels and Flowbee Hair Cutting System