Mountain Bike Shoes?- Mtbr.com
    Bike Matron
    Jul 2004

Mountain Bike Shoes?

I've have a pair of Sidis for years now, but my feet have gotten a half size bigger (it happens) and now I need a new pair. However, a new pair of Sidis is heart-attack expensive these days: $280.

As an alternative, I've been thinking about the women's Diadora X-Trail
    http://oldtownbicycle.com/itemdetails.cfm?id=1153
    which is much less expensive ($119) and does have a buckle closure, which is a requirement for me.
    I've had a pair of Diadora Chilis in the past and they fit well for my foot type (narrow low-volume feet). If you have this type of foot, you know what I'm talking about. Most shoes in my size (9.5 to 10) feel like gun boats. Does anyone have a pair of the Diadora X-Trail shoes? What do you think about quality and fit?

Mavic has also come out with a Women's mtn bike shoe with buckle closure, but don't know anything about the fit. I know that the fit for Specialized and Shimano don't work for me at all.

Post up if any of you have the X-Trails, new Mavics or Pearl Izumis and let me kwow what you think.

The Martian
    Jan 2007
    I have some Pearl Izumi's (the women's Attack MTB specifically). I've ridden in them 2 or 3 times (they are pretty new).

I have a very small (women's US 5, sometimes even Youth 4's), wide feet with high arches and decent volume. I have insoles in these as they almost felt too big (read, tall, deep) for me and they had a mediocre (read normal human being) arch, but I probably should have been in a size or half size smaller (they fit well front to back, but not perfect).

I like them, and I like my Shimano's which probably means they won't fit your foot style unless the build is pretty different for larger sizes. Unfortunately I hadn't even heard of Diandora until your post so I can't offer you a direct comparison.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Have you tried mens or womens Specialized? Both?

I usually wear men's shoes is why I was asking. Haven't had any problems. I love my Sidi's, but they are women's sizing and I think too tight in the toe box. I learned that only 2 years after getting them But, when you wear a pair of shoes for 9-12 hours while riding you tend to learn a lot about them!

I just bought the mens S-Works shoes. Not sure I'll wear them in any endurance events any time soon, but they are nice.

Bike Matron
    Jul 2004
    I had a pair of the Specialized Body Geometry R**die shoes in the past, and the shoe design attempted to fix a problem with alignment that I didn't have, resulting in achy knees. I finally had to return them. Men's sizes are huge on my feet, so, unfortunately, that isn't an option. I need shoes that tend to run a bit narrow. I'm hoping the Diadoras have a European last, like the Sidis. I might just go ahead and ask REI to special order them. I think they are sold through Cannondale.

Mavics look good too, tho:
    http://www.bikesomewhere.com/bikesom...t/33/160/26311

Bike Matron
    Jul 2004
    Well, amazingly I found a bike store in Austin, TX that sells the Mavic women's scorpion ($124) and they had them in my size (42). They have a ratcheting buckle and two velcro straps. I like them fairly well, the fit seems slightly narrower than many women's shoes in that size, the heel is narrow enough & I think the fit will work fine with a slightly beefed up insole. The sole is very stiff, which could be OK if you are trying to lay down some power (LOL) or slightly annoying if you have to hike a bike.

HOWEVER, these mtn bike shoes are white, yup, WHITE! I mean, solid white! Great for a white wedding, but I am having a lot of trouble getting past this. What were these people (Adidas bought by Mavic) thinking? Sheesh, maybe it is a Euro thing.

Might still ask REI to order me a pair of the Diadora X-Trail ($100 or so) for comparison (black with purple highlights). The Diadora's are sold by Cannondale and seem like a special order thing.

Fit will trump everything in the end, of course, but I am flummoxed by white mtn bike shoes.

Pearl Izumi also has some women's shoes with a carbon sole and ratcheting buckle: $199 also in a sensible black.

Rides with Scissors
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Pro Laps
    I've had a pair of Diadora Chilis in the past and they fit well for my foot type (narrow low-volume feet). If you have this type of foot, you know what I'm talking about. Most shoes in my size (9.5 to 10) feel like gun boats. Does anyone have a pair of the Diadora X-Trail shoes? What do you think about quality and fit?
    I haven't tried the X-Trail Diadora shoes, but I have used 4 different Diadora shoes -- 3 mtb and 1 road pair (including the Chilis) through the years and found the fit between the different models to be consistent. Main difference was the stiffness of the soles. I've had my road shoes for about 5 years now and still have one pair of the mtb shoes (about the same age). I forget the model, but it does have the buckle/ratchet closure and while it's not as strong as it used to be, it still works OK even after all the mud and muck that's been stuck in there and washed out later.
    Some days you're the dog, some days you're the hydrant.

Members who have read this thread: 0