• 09-23-2018
    JDHutch
    Mountain bike race in November
    I am riding in my first mountain bike race in November. The name of the race is Iceman so yeah it can be nasty although some years its not too bad. The current forecast is calling for 40 which could change but for that time of year in northern Michigan I expect it will be somewhere between 30-40. Curious to know specifically what you would wear for a 30 mile or 2-3 hour race in this weather to keep your feet, hands, face, and body at optimal temp for racing.
  • 09-23-2018
    Harold
    precip forecast matters a LOT at those temps
  • 09-23-2018
    JDHutch
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    precip forecast matters a LOT at those temps

Agreed and I need to be prepared for everything.
  • 09-23-2018
    Harold
    My point is that my entire clothing selection will change depending on precip at those temps.

So, what is the precip forecast?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
  • 09-23-2018
    Thoreau
    They couldnt predict the last hurricane accurately out a couple hours, and you think theres a forecast of any value for november?
  • 09-23-2018
    Jayem
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    My point is that my entire clothing selection will change depending on precip at those temps.

So, what is the precip forecast?

Not just that, but cloud cover, that can play a huge role, where as in 30-40 degrees and clear skies, you might be able to get away with nearly-summer clothing, else you'd be overheating and sweating, vs. under overcast you'd need a bit more.

Bottom line though is that if you feel comfortable and warm before you start, you'll be overheating and miserable 20 minutes into it. You have to plan for where you are going to spend the most time. Protect the extremities a little more though to prevent numb hands/feet. Important: Flesh doesn't freeze till about 28F, so you might be very uncomfortable at times, but above this you aren't going freeze flesh and you'll avoid hypothermia if your core is working and fed.
  • 09-23-2018
    Harold
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Thoreau View Post
    They couldnt predict the last hurricane accurately out a couple hours, and you think theres a forecast of any value for november?

This is sorta my point.

But planning for this event, you have to consider that cold rain and/or snow are entirely possible. And so is sun @60F (like it was when I did the Iceman, though morning temps were right about freezing that day so I had to plan around adjusting layers during the race). And everything between.

If you have not dealt with conditions like this, you are probably not going to wind up choosing the right gear the first time around. It is something that takes some trial and error to figure out. Winter gear is INTENSELY personal. Especially in these "shoulder conditions" that range from about 25F to 40F give or take depending in wind, cloud cover, and precip.

If it is sunny with little wind, I will probably be wearing shorts well below freezing if I am working hard. I will be dressed far warmer if it is 40F and raining, fwiw.

• 09-24-2018
    HEMIjer
    Sounds like a great adventure to take on congrats!

Now is actually a good time to start gathering and testing. Everyone is different but you need to be be prepared for a variety of conditions for sure overdressing and and abnormally hot day can be jsut as bad for your performance ofr instance. For me for a race I can complete in 2-3 hours even if doing just for fun and not in great shape I would slightly underdress, getting to the 4 hour mark I wouldn't necessarily take that approach.

Some initial tips that help:
    - First and foremast make sure you have good breathable base layers I prefer Merino Wool but good synthetic are great also (Under Armor is just fine)
    -Hands and Toes need a couple different glove and sock/shoe setups if running really cold weather, everyone is different really need to experiment. Some checmical warmers in your vehicle jsut in case race day is a little colder than planned can be life savers. For gloves I prefer softshell setup and socks prefer wool. When gets real cold for extended times I use Bar Mitts or Lobster gloves. Waterproof shoes for when it is not raining are a must for me but we have lots of creek crossing, puddles, etc.
    - Wind Layer: Wind proof tights and Jerseys are wonderful, I like the Gore stuff. If not sure a vest can help. I prefer full zip becuase ability to vent on fly a must. For tights I actually prefer non Chamios tights and wear summer bibs underneath. Also a cheap pocket shell that stuffs in a jersey pocket is great never know when you might need it.

Check website clearnace section and LBS clearance racks now if you plan to start geraing up once winter hits they get picked through quick. Also Bike specfic is noice for anything that isa touch point on bike. Not 100% necessary though use what you have while experimenting.

Main thing is test these out over the couirse of time, might not be abel to much by Nov. but if you have early bad wether get out and break your setup in