Mountain bike glasses, Oakley Prism, Adidas Viro or Smith ?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Hope Mountain bike glasses, Oakley Prism, Adidas Viro or Smith ?

What glasses would you prefer in Santa Cruz area trees and Wilder. The Oakley Prism mountain look like a great lens, but Francis rock the Adidas Zonyk Viro and I am a Francis super fan. What options work, outside of clear?

Thanks
    Transition Scout Carbon

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    100% Speed Craft.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by noremorse1 View Post
    100% Speed Craft.
    These are some awesome shades. When you put them on for the first time...everything is super clear. They work real well in bright sun and are also really light.

I've also got a pair of the Prism Trails. They are a bit lighter on the tint...but work relatively well for bright sun. If you ride in an area where you are transitioning from shade to light constantly...they work real well. You can make out the features in the trail a bit better.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    I've also got a pair of the Prism Trails. They are a bit lighter on the tint...but work relatively well for bright sun. If you ride in an area where you are transitioning from shade to light constantly...they work real well. You can make out the features in the trail a bit better.
    So they really do work then? I ride mostly under the tree canopy so shadows and shade in general can be a big issue, but yet there are still open spots where I want some help against the bright sun. Right now I've given up on sunglasses and gone back to safety glasses since I refuse to ride without any eye protection.

mtbr member
    I do like them. The tint isn't super dark. I can still see my eyes when looking in a mirror. If you're in a fairly shaded area...they would work pretty good. Even at dusk...you can still see pretty well. They won't give you that washed out vision. Best part about Oakley lenses is how much clearer they make everything look when you put them on. If you wear them for a few mins and them take them off...everything will look fuzzy.

Too bad you can't really take them out for a spin to see if you like them.

mtbr member
    prizm trail are awesome! been using the jawbreaker with the prizm and loved it! like said not super dark but it works great even with bright sun out early afternoon!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    That's good to hear. The price makes me hesitant to buy without some real world feedback.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    +1 for the Oakley Prizm Trails. They have made a huge difference in how clearly I can see obstacles on the trail, and they work really well in sun, shade, and transitions. I am a more confident rider when I wear them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CBus660R View Post
    That's good to hear. The price makes me hesitant to buy without some real world feedback.
    The price is on the high side, but I do think that they are worth it. I've got a couple pairs of Jawbones...so I was just able to buy the lenses. I do have a pair of the road Prizm in some Jawbreakers for when I ride my road bike. When I first tried them...I didn't want to take them off. The lenses are just that awesome. Thing that is cool about Oakley lenses are how clear they make everything look when you put them on. The other lenses that I recently tried that are as close in optical clarity as the Oakleys are from 100%.