Motocross helmet?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Motocross helmet?

This summer ill be going downhilling for the first time. I have a motocross full face helmet, do you guys think that will be alright to use or do i need a full face bike helmet? Or should i just use my regular bike helmet??
    2011 Santa Cruz V-10

2008 Giant Reign X

2007 Specialized Allez

When in doubt, go faster
    um, if you arnt doing any climbing or arnt going to be in the desert in mid day sun/heat it'll be ok. but i used to do that and i overheated like instantly cause i had to pedal just a little.

Nov 2006
    get a full face bike helmet. ive ridden one summer with my moto helmet and will NEVER do it again. no ventallation + pedaling = hot as ****. planning on ordering a tld d2 pretty soon here. hopefully ill like it

MTBR Mafia
    I ride with one everyday in the AZ heat and i get by.

After cracking 5 helmets i dont mess around
    All Mountain was so 2005

Glad to Be Alive
    mx.....is better
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Meh.
    The old argument is that the MX helmets may not protect you as well in low speed crashes. And of course, ventilation is pretty poor sometimes. And I guess weight comes into play too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    They're fine as far as protection, but they're hot as hell and heavy.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    The old argument is that the MX helmets may not protect you as well in low speed crashes. And of course, ventilation is pretty poor sometimes. And I guess weight comes into play too.
    really...I always thought MX helmets give more protection
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Aug 2006
    they ok to use

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    really...I always thought MX helmets give more protection
    Key words being low speed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    that's exactly what i use, they are certified for major impacts...not sure that's true of full face bicycle helmets
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

Glad to Be Alive
    Key words being low speed.
    got that, but even low speed they should be better

Three Wheeler Expert
    Heavy!!!!!!
    SEND IT TO THE MOON!!!!!!!!

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyjohnny
    Heavy!!!!!!
    not some

Three Wheeler Expert
    My old HJC was but my new troy lee desgins isn't
    SEND IT TO THE MOON!!!!!!!!

I wish I had...
    Aren't motocross helmets really heavy?
    I wish I had...

Nov 2006
    and how does that work if you dont mind me asking?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    motorcross helmets are usually going to be heavier but thats besides they have higher crash standards then a full face bicycle helmet like a giro mad max or a troy lee d2. Not all motocross helmets are going to have poor ventilation, like many people say, you get what you pay for.
    Just ride.....

mtbr member
    Until someone starts selling replacement brains I am going to stick with moto helmets.

I started using a moto helmet this past year and didn't notice any big difference. The difference that you will feel go away after a day of using it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Good job! Motocross

I use an Arai motocross helmet, for shuttle days at Diablo. I like my brain in my skull so I went with the best I could find.

Dec 2006
    I use a Thor moto helmet, works fine.

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Grove97
    and how does that work if you dont mind me asking?
    They're designed and rated for larger impacts.

Huck It
    Jan 2007
    definately motox

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iron1
    Aren't motocross helmets really heavy?
    $300-400 for a TLD helemt!
    or $450 for one of THESE
    SHOEI rule, I will be getting one some time soon.

mtbr member
    They're designed and rated for larger impacts.
    uhh righhhttt.. so that makes them worse for slow speed/smaller impacts?

..common dude, use some common sense. somthing our country seems to lack...
    Last edited by A Grove; 01-13-2007 at 07:39 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I have an Answer M8 when they were DOT certified and love it. I have cracked three helmets before this one and the extra protection is well worth any extra wieght and ventilation issues. I wear mine for BMX racing DH and riding trails back to Dirt jumps and stunts and I feel it's crazy to do this stuff without it or a lesser helmet. I kinda need my brain for work and stuff.

Shop *****
    Ofcourse moto helmets are better.. for high speed
    their higher weight is good for a high speed crash, where you need the extra padding and protection, but when going at a low speed (10-15mph orso), the weight throws your head around so much more than a light mtb helmet, and may cause neck damage or whatnot

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cdub
    I ride with one everyday in the AZ heat and i get by.
    Me too, and if us folks in Phoenix can ride in one, I'm pretty sure you can too

GOD SPEED # 58 # 69 RIP
    My HJC carbon is lighter than my D2, and moto helmet on any situation offers more protection than your regular full MTB helmet. More protection is all ways better.

Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by A Grove
    uhh righhhttt.. so that makes them worse for slow speed/smaller impacts?

..common dude, use some common sence. somthing our country seems to lack...

It's not very complicated. Helmets consist basically of two parts, an outer hard shell and some sort of foam designed to absorb the force of the impact. In a helmet designed for high speed impacts, this foam is going to be very dense and firm, so that when you hit a brick wall at 60 mph, it can absorb the force from the impact. Conversely, a bicycle helmet is going to be made of a a much less dense, softer foam that will protect you from small falls etc. Now, if you were to wear a helmet designed for high speed impacts, and suffer a low speed impact, the foam in the helmet is not going to give very much, because it is designed for high speed crashes. This means that you won't be very well protected. Bicycle helmets are designed to offer maximum protection at bike speeds, motocross helmets are designed to offer maximum protection at motocross speeds.

Oh, and another thing our country seems to lack is the ability to spell simple words.

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by boatshow
    It's not very complicated. Helmets consist basically of two parts, an outer hard shell and some sort of foam designed to absorb the force of the impact. In a helmet designed for high speed impacts, this foam is going to be very dense and firm, so that when you hit a brick wall at 60 mph, it can absorb the force from the impact. Conversely, a bicycle helmet is going to be made of a a much less dense, softer foam that will protect you from small falls etc. Now, if you were to wear a helmet designed for high speed impacts, and suffer a low speed impact, the foam in the helmet is not going to give very much, because it is designed for high speed crashes. This means that you won't be very well protected. Bicycle helmets are designed to offer maximum protection at bike speeds, motocross helmets are designed to offer maximum protection at motocross speeds.

Oh, and another thing our country seems to lack is the ability to spell simple words.
    Well said. I was hoping that other people would realize that, but apparently it is not I that lacks common sense.

Bum Buzzer
    Thats a silly argument.

The fact is the MTB helmets offer nowhere near the protection of MX. The styrene density and overall design do of an MTB helmet do not provide a safer helmet for 'low speed' crashes - this is as risiculous a supposition as "Marlboro lights cause sterility. Besides, if I were going slow - I likely wouldnt be needing the fullface.

Weight shouldnt be a huge factor - a decent helmet should be 2.5-3lbs regardless.

ventilation can be an issue as MX riders are going alot faster in general - ventialation designed accordingly.

That said - I will never wear an MTB specific full-face. Must be DOT and Snell certified or F-it...
    Last edited by Huck Banzai; 01-12-2007 at 04:11 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

The reason I went with Motocross

My motocross helmet is SNELL M2005 certified. So are all my street bike helmets. I basically only wear Arai mostly because how well they fit my head. And if you talk to any helmet manufacturer they will tell you how well a helmet fits your head directly correlates to how well it will protect your noggin.

I don't think we can lump all motocross helmets as one standard and all bike helmets in another. Different manufacturers make different helmets to different standards.

It is my understanding that SNELL rated Motocycle helmets are tested to higher standards and will theroeticly protect you from higher velocity hits.

Also don't base your decision on what some guy on the Web says, base it on facts and not everything said on a Bulletin board is fact.

I think before you go out and buy a helmet you find out what standards that helmet has
    been tested too and also what you feel your head is worth to you.

http://www.helmets.org/standard.htm

http://www.smf.org/stds.html

I would start there and find out the real facts.

just my two cents.

EastBaySteez
    If you are just doing DH with shuttles then your good, other wise riding with a motorcross helmet is like sticking your head in a fish bowl.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Well said. I was hoping that other people would realize that, but apparently it is not I that lacks common sense.
    Hmm, Its hard for me to consider that common sense. I really don't think the average common folk usually think about the density of the foam inside their helmets

I Welcome All
    if you get a MX helmet get the fox V3, it's pricy but it ventilates great! its also only like 2.8lbs

Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by lilbuj
    Also don't base your decision on what some guy on the Web says, base it on facts and not everything said on a Bulletin board is fact.

I think before you go out and buy a helmet you find out what standards that helmet has
    been tested too and also what you feel your head is worth to you.

http://www.helmets.org/standard.htm

http://www.smf.org/stds.html

I would start there and find out the real facts.

just my two cents.
    Alright, then go by what the first link says, under information about Snell. "Some helmet experts feel that the resultant helmets [ones designed for the highest impact testing] are usually too stiff in impact response to perform at higher drop levels, and may well offer less benefit at lower impact levels where the stiffer foam may not crush at all."

Basically what I said.

Dec 2006
    motox is tha bomb i use a motox but it is on the heavy side

Bum Buzzer
    HJC, Fox, Arai...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I use a moto helmet for downhill because on many downhill courses you can reach motocross speeds. For freeriding and pedaling uphill I use a bicycle DH fullface helmet so my head doesn't overheat.

Erik,

www.balleracing.com

Members who have read this thread: 0