Moto helmets- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 29 of 29

Thread: Moto helmets

  1. #1
    Special Lister
    Reputation: kjsayers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    324

    Moto helmets

    I have been looking at full face helmets for awhile now. I have heard all kinds of different things like the bike ones are only good up to 15 to 20mph. I know which helmets I want to get if I get a moto or bike, but which do you think I should go with moto or bike?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,765
    quite a few loooong threads about this. search.

  3. #3
    Professional Troll
    Reputation: Gemini2k05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,442
    I'll save you some time, mtb full faces are toys

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rollertoaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,176
    Moto, I had been using mtb helmets, and it hurts like hell when you hit your head hard. Now that I ride with a moto helmet I won't go back, I can bounce my head off the ground all day long and hardly feel it.
    Team _________

  5. #5
    Special Lister
    Reputation: kjsayers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    324
    I know we are only talking about a pound or two, but do you feel a difference? Who makes some the lighter moto helmets? No carbon would be great since I don't want to drop $300-$400 on a helmet right now.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: iridemtb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    203
    After 2 concussions, I would say don't just pick a 661 comp... Get something better. I would suggest ASTM 1952 rated downhill helmet. Reason being is they deal better with crashes at slower speeds (thing 10-30 mph). While a moto helmet will help you while you are bookin it, hitting a tree head on going 25 can be doom.

    A moto helmet doesn't give at the same speeds, and therefore in turn doesn't decelerate your brain at the same rate, leading your brain to smack into your skull. But they would help in a "Johnny Woodell 40 foot double" kind of crash more. I just think the chances of that are a lot less than me hitting my head on a tree, or falling in a rock garden.

    When I become a little faster I might start wearing a moto (DOT rated) helmet (as dumb as that may sound). the reason being is because if I am consitnely going faster, I am bound to fall going faster.

    There is a reason company's like POC and Troy Lee Designs don't have DOT or SNELL rated helmets in their mountain bike areas.

    Also, do not get a SNELL rated helmet if you can avoid it. Those are even debated in the motorcycle community. This is a long read but here is a good source, also realize this is for motorcycles, not non motor propelled mountain bikes, which usually means when bad crashes do happen, they are harder.

    http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ge...iew/index.html

  7. #7
    Special Lister
    Reputation: kjsayers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    324
    I may be sounding like a total idiot, but is there a reason they have MTB specific helmets? Other then the weight and number of vents why get a MBT helmet when a moto one provides better protection. Because lets face it that is why we buy them. Are they enginereed better for MBT...why and how what makes them better?

  8. #8
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,935
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2k05
    I'll save you some time, mtb full faces are toys
    I agree and have been rockin the 700 series by Azonic/Oneil....
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: iridemtb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    203
    Almost all of it has to do with the foam in the helmet.

    MTB helmet foam (ASTM 1952 rating), compacts to lower speed crashes, that means mountain bike crashes. When you whack your head, the foam slows down your head, and inturn slows down your brain from smacking your skull. Now remember, some downhill helmets like T.H.E. I believe are DOT, but a lot of them are CSPS, which is for an 8 year old girl riding her bike down the sidewalk. If you get an MTB helmet, DOT or ASTM 1952.

    With a moto helmet, at slower speeds it won't be as affective. You hit your head in a rock garden going 20, the moto helmet won't be as affective as a downhill helmet. But in turn, if you are going 50mph with an ASTM 1952 helmet, and you take a good crack, you could be done for good.

    But think of how often you really go above 30mph? I guess that would depend where you ride, but I bet I might hit 30 mph every few runs. 30mph is pretty fast over rocks, jumps and turns for a mountain bike. You have to make an honest evaluation of your riding level and how fast the trails are around you.

    If you go to get a moto helmet, make sure it is DOT. Not SNELL.
    If you go to get a downhill helmet make sure to get an ASTM 1952, Not CSPC.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Boycey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by kjsayers
    Who makes some the lighter moto helmets?
    Airoh - Around 950g

    I run an airoh stelt for enduro and motocross, and so do alot of the top motocrossers and enduro boys

    So comfy as well Well recommended

    http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl...tart=0&ndsp=18
    Pain is temporary, but quitting is forever!!!

  11. #11
    Fort Valley = Gnarl Fest
    Reputation: Jekyll_Jockey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    603
    Quote Originally Posted by iridemtb
    Almost all of it has to do with the foam in the helmet.

    MTB helmet foam (ASTM 1952 rating), compacts to lower speed crashes, that means mountain bike crashes. When you whack your head, the foam slows down your head, and inturn slows down your brain from smacking your skull. Now remember, some downhill helmets like T.H.E. I believe are DOT, but a lot of them are CSPS, which is for an 8 year old girl riding her bike down the sidewalk. If you get an MTB helmet, DOT or ASTM 1952.

    With a moto helmet, at slower speeds it won't be as affective. You hit your head in a rock garden going 20, the moto helmet won't be as affective as a downhill helmet. But in turn, if you are going 50mph with an ASTM 1952 helmet, and you take a good crack, you could be done for good.

    But think of how often you really go above 30mph? I guess that would depend where you ride, but I bet I might hit 30 mph every few runs. 30mph is pretty fast over rocks, jumps and turns for a mountain bike. You have to make an honest evaluation of your riding level and how fast the trails are around you.

    If you go to get a moto helmet, make sure it is DOT. Not SNELL.
    If you go to get a downhill helmet make sure to get an ASTM 1952, Not CSPC.
    The full face helmet shoot out here on MTBR does a good job of explaining the differences and provides links to further explinations.
    "It sucks because that's what Boxxers of that generation were good at." -- XSL_WiLL

  12. #12
    Professional Troll
    Reputation: Gemini2k05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,442
    Quote Originally Posted by iridemtb
    With a moto helmet, at slower speeds it won't be as affective. You hit your head in a rock garden going 20, the moto helmet won't be as affective as a downhill helmet. But in turn, if you are going 50mph with an ASTM 1952 helmet, and you take a good crack, you could be done for good.
    I love this argument. So you're saying every time you crash on a moto below 20 mph, you're gonna hurt your head? but crash at 30mph or above and you'll be just fine? That whole "stiffness" seems to be total BS in practice. I RARELY crash above 20mph if ever on my mtb, never had any head pain or any head injuries and I wear a moto helmet.


    All I know is the only time I hear myself or others saying that their head hurts after a crash is when they're wearing an mtb helmet. I don't feel a thing with my moto helmet ever. Oh ya, and the quality control and construction and overall quality of design is about 50 times better. I wish someone could explain to me why a troy lee mtb helmet is $200-300 more than my 661 flight II moto helmet which protects about a million times better. Pick up any compnies comparably priced moto and mtb helmet, it doesn't take more than 5 seconds to realize which is gonna protect you better.

  13. #13
    Special Lister
    Reputation: kjsayers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    324
    So we have quite the difference of opinion.

  14. #14
    Professional Troll
    Reputation: Gemini2k05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,442
    Quote Originally Posted by kjsayers
    So we have quite the difference of opinion.

    Not really. You have the people who haven't tried moto helmets, and claim that mtb helmets work better for "low speed mtb crashes" (whatever that means). Then you have the people who have tried and crashed in both, who unanimously agree that moto are better.

  15. #15
    KoNa KiD
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2k05
    Not really. You have the people who haven't tried moto helmets, and claim that mtb helmets work better for "low speed mtb crashes" (whatever that means). Then you have the people who have tried and crashed in both, who unanimously agree that moto are better.

    agreed....

    ive been riding moto since i was 7 and have always ridden dot helmets, and im not soo sure about the speed arguement, i mean when your trail riding your not rollin out that much faster then on a MTB. riding a Honda XR650L on the trails is a beast (344lbs!!!!!) and that thing throws you to the ground, never had any problems with the moto at slow impacts. so when i started riding MTB just seemed natural to ride a moto helmet. the weight is there but once your moving you forget all about it
    Pedalshop
    Transition Bike Co.

    dont touch the dirt

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rollertoaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,176
    Don't believe the rumor that a Moto helmet will leave your head hurting after a low speed crash. I've ridden mtb helmets and moto. I will not go back to mtb helmets. Everytime I crash with one on, I get bruising somewhere on my head or face. I've never had that happen wearing a Moto helmet.

    As far as weight goes, your won't notice it when you are wearing it.
    Team _________

  17. #17
    Special Lister
    Reputation: kjsayers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    324
    I am not agreeing non do I disagree with the argument. I simply want to know why. Why buy a MTB and not a moto. Seems logical to think that a helmet that will save you skull at 60mph will do that much better at 20mph. However I don't know the physics of how the padding, shell and helmet make up work to save your life. Other then the more padding the better or the better the padding the better. Just like an inch of steel will stop the same bullet as a 1/4 inch of kevlar (before I get flamed... not saying this is fact... JUST EXAMPLE)

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    373
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2k05
    I love this argument. So you're saying every time you crash on a moto below 20 mph, you're gonna hurt your head? but crash at 30mph or above and you'll be just fine? That whole "stiffness" seems to be total BS in practice. I RARELY crash above 20mph if ever on my mtb, never had any head pain or any head injuries and I wear a moto helmet.


    All I know is the only time I hear myself or others saying that their head hurts after a crash is when they're wearing an mtb helmet. I don't feel a thing with my moto helmet ever. Oh ya, and the quality control and construction and overall quality of design is about 50 times better. I wish someone could explain to me why a troy lee mtb helmet is $200-300 more than my 661 flight II moto helmet which protects about a million times better. Pick up any compnies comparably priced moto and mtb helmet, it doesn't take more than 5 seconds to realize which is gonna protect you better.
    Not that you're going to hurt your head more at 20mph vs 30mph, just that a good DH helmet will tend to be better optimized for this range of impact speeds. At least, it should...don't know that I've really seen much good test data comparing DH and moto helmets. Until that is available and you can predict the exact type of crash that you will have, it's a bit of a guessing game, but I don't think it's as simple as saying that a moto helmet will always offer better protection.

    People should just be mindful of the type of riding they do and the types of crashes they're more likely to have when selecting a helmet. I do think it's hilarious that people will have this debate, while overlooking the way the helmet actually fits (not suggesting that's the case for you, gemini). That is absolutely the biggest factor in determining how well it will protect you and most people that I encounter riding do not have a properly sized helmet (myself included...shopping for a new full face). Besides that, I would look at the construction of the faceguard area...most impacts are to the sides and jaw area of the head and this is a part of the helmet that I DO NOT want failing.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: stretch169's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    339
    Use Fox V3 for both moto and DH. Safe, comfortable and under 3 lbs.
    Pivot Firebird, Tomac Snyper, KTM 250SX

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: iridemtb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    203
    Quote Originally Posted by kjsayers
    I am not agreeing non do I disagree with the argument. I simply want to know why. Why buy a MTB and not a moto. Seems logical to think that a helmet that will save you skull at 60mph will do that much better at 20mph. However I don't know the physics of how the padding, shell and helmet make up work to save your life. Other then the more padding the better or the better the padding the better. Just like an inch of steel will stop the same bullet as a 1/4 inch of kevlar (before I get flamed... not saying this is fact... JUST EXAMPLE)
    Reason I say a downhill helmet will protect better is because the stiffness (if you will) of the foam is greater in moto helmets. That is all. I am no scientist, and it's not like I am saying "downhill ASTM 1952 helmets are the best helmets and only those helmets should be used when riding downhill or fr."

    I am simply saying this is what I have taken away from things I have read. And in the future, I said I am thinking of moving to a DOT helmet.

    Everyone has their own evaluation, this was just simply my take on the subject.
    Last edited by iridemtb; 09-22-2009 at 07:26 AM.

  21. #21
    Special Lister
    Reputation: kjsayers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    324
    Thanks to all. I think I'll go with a moto that way when I am doing the really stupid sh.. I won't have to buy another one.

  22. #22
    I like air!
    Reputation: milhouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    915
    Hmmm, I only purchase MTB helmets and have destroyed about 3-4 of them over the past 7 years and each time weather its just a crack or a full crushed-in side I never injured my head. I'm not saying don't buy a DOT helmet, but if your injuring your head every time you crash then it could be the brand or fit of the helmet. I would just say MTB helmets are more disposable once you do crash. I just replace them as I break them.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    373
    Quote Originally Posted by milhouse
    Hmmm, I only purchase MTB helmets and have destroyed about 3-4 of them over the past 7 years and each time weather its just a crack or a full crushed-in side I never injured my head. I'm not saying don't buy a DOT helmet, but if your injuring your head every time you crash then it could be the brand or fit of the helmet. I would just say MTB helmets are more disposable once you do crash. I just replace them as I break them.
    And if you're taking a significant impact to the head much more often than this, you may want to reevaluate the way you ride anyway...

  24. #24
    I like air!
    Reputation: milhouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    915
    Quote Originally Posted by ebarker9
    And if you're taking a significant impact to the head much more often than this, you may want to reevaluate the way you ride anyway...
    I dont remember every saying I have a problem with the way I ride or the occasional crash. I ride hard and go big so if you choose not to, so be it.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    373
    Quote Originally Posted by milhouse
    I dont remember every saying I have a problem with the way I ride or the occasional crash. I ride hard and go big so if you choose not to, so be it.
    No, sorry...that was more in response to the "well, I destroy a helmet every couple of weeks and it's too expensive to replace" folks.

  26. #26
    I like air!
    Reputation: milhouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    915
    Quote Originally Posted by ebarker9
    No, sorry...that was more in response to the "well, I destroy a helmet every couple of weeks and it's too expensive to replace" folks.
    Your reading comprehension is pretty lacking. Read, understand, then respond.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,071
    I've got one of the best of each helmet - Giro Remedy and Bell Moto-8. I always wear the moto helmet on my moto, and wear the Giro 99% of the time on my DH bike. The Giro is substantially lighter and better ventilated (makes a big difference on day 5 at Whistler), and feels sufficient to me at bicycle speeds where I'm not worried about casing a triple and having a 250 lbs bike plus rider land on my head. The Moto-8 is by far the best vented DOT helmet I've tried (better than my old TLD and my buddies' Arais and Shoeis).

    I heard from our local Giro rep that the Remedy is pretty close to a DOT helmet in terms of protection, and might even pass, but there's no point in spending the $$. And after doing much research I think the Snell standard is too hard, but all of the higher-end DOT helmets are also Snell certified (Moto-8, Arai, Shoei, TLD, etc).

    FYI, the average speed of a street motorcycle crash is 25 mph.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    373
    Quote Originally Posted by milhouse
    Your reading comprehension is pretty lacking. Read, understand, then respond.
    I completely understood what you were saying. My original response was not directed at you, but rather the folks who think that it's "normal" to go through several helmets a season. It's unreasonable to expect any helmet to protect you from this kind of abuse of your head. I realize that you don't (and I certainly don't either) have a problem with your riding style. I was, in fact, agreeing with you, though I understand where my words didn't match my thoughts.

    So, reading comprehension=good. Writing clarity=not so good.

  29. #29
    Special Lister
    Reputation: kjsayers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    324
    What have you guys heard of Kali? They have some sort of patent on their helmets that they are one piece (the shell and padding). One of their moto helmets is 1200 grams! Any idea on how their DH measure up?

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.