Moto clothing / helmet use?- Mtbr.com

Jan 2004

New question here. Moto clothing / helmet use?

Am getting out of Moto, will be selling a freshly rebuilt 426 this spring. What items should I keep in the way of clothing? I have a set of Troy Lee pants / jersey, Thor gloves, elbow pads, knee pads, and cherst protector. Will be selling my AlpineStar boots of course , maybe the chest protector? Will be doing some downhill at Bromont so could I use my HJC helmet?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

my two cents

I would drop the pants and the chest protector, along with your boots. There are a few guys that still race in full-length moto pants, but most DHers are riding in moto shorts these days, just to improve on ventilation and pedaling comfort. The chest protector is kind of a good thing to have, but if you can pony up for some mtb-specific armor you'll be a lot happier. Moto protectors are pretty much just designed for roost deflection, not actually for any impact protection. In fact, I think most moto chest protectors state that right on the product. The helmet is kind of a toss-up, some guys like an MTB lid because they're lighter and have more ventilation, some guys like moto lids because they offer a lot more high-speed impact protection (but not necessary more low-speed).
    Last edited by James @ Go-Ride; 01-16-2004 at 10:27 AM. Reason: sounded funny

www.Go-Ride.com
    866-467-4334

Jan 2004
    Yep, I wear a Fox Pilot helmet. A little heavier, but that's aight

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate N
    Yep, I wear a Fox Pilot helmet. A little heavier, but that's aight
    and i wear an O'neal moto helmet, and like homie says "A little heavier, but that's aight"..... it gives me more piece of ming when going huge............

i think this would have ended up worse in a regular MTB helmet......
    Last edited by .WestCoastHucker.; 01-23-2007 at 10:05 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    This is a little off the subject, but anybody who is considering moto helmets should check out the new Troy Lee lid. It's fully B.A., lots of vents and a cool shape. I can't decide whether or not to run one of those or stick with Vigor for next year. Kinda pricey though but the all silver one is sick.

www.Go-Ride.com
    866-467-4334

Jan 2004
    Can you actaully pedal in moto boots? I'm running fox's race l/s jersey, their motox shorts, sidewinder gloves, their knee/shin protectors (which I wear EVERY time I ride, not cause I'm gonna fall, but my pedals aren't exactly flesh friendly...), their elbow guards. and the fox tracer helmet. Pretty much motox gear and you know what? It's damn comfotable. So yeah. Stick with what you got, but lose the roost defector and boots.

Jan 2004
    Yeah, id loose the chest protector, maybe the pants as they are going to be too hot to be pedaling in, but if you dont mind that stick with em. And if you dont mind the weight of the fully keep it, you should be used to it so a mtb helmet may feel weird. But there is no point in getting an mtb helmet if you have a perfectly good moto helmet neway.

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by spacetrucking
    Am getting out of Moto, will be selling a freshly rebuilt 426 this spring. What items should I keep in the way of clothing? I have a set of Troy Lee pants / jersey, Thor gloves, elbow pads, knee pads, and cherst protector. Will be selling my AlpineStar boots of course , maybe the chest protector? Will be doing some downhill at Bromont so could I use my HJC helmet?
    I just bought an HJC helmet for DH racing use last summer. Never heard of the brand before. I just wanted a Snell M2000 rated helmet and it looked quality. I then started noticing them on a lot of other riders. I understand they make the Vigor MTB helmets.

Mike

Jan 2004

Smile Thanks for the great replies!

Thanks for the replies guys! Will just sell off boots and chest protector.