MIPS liner in new Bell helmet is cracking into pieces!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005

MIPS liner in new Bell helmet is cracking into pieces!

Helmet is a few months old. It has the yellow MIPS liner in it. I looked at it today, and it's cracking into pieces all over. Shattering is more like it. It's never been crashed, dropped, hit, etc. Just ride, put it back in the garage. Having never had a mips helmet, can I assume this isn't a good thing?

mtbr member
    Doesn't sound good. Which model?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Event XC. Found the receipt, bought in April, didn't even really start using it until a month later, so just a few months old. I called Bell and they said that is definitely bad, and they are sending me a label to return it for replacement.

So if you have a yellow mips liner helmet, maybe everyone should look at them and make sure they are okay!

Rent this space for $
    Interesting. I have a Smith Overtake MIPS that is exclusively my road ride helmet. No issue that I have seen...yet. My 2 Bell Super2's are non MIPS because the MIPS version didn't feel right but I'm looking to buy a Super3 w/MIPS soon. The fit issue changed with the 3's.

I have had a couple picky warranty issues with my Bell helmets and I can say that they will bend over backwards to make things right with warranty issues.

Post up some photos before you ship the helmet back! Interested to see where this goes and whether it's isolated.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Here are just 2 pics. It literally looks like it's just disentegrating. I bought it at REI, so not a case of an abused used helmet or something. MIPS liner in new Bell helmet is cracking into pieces!-img_7111.jpgAttachment 1215182

Bikesexual
    I would take it back to REI and get it replaced.

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I was just there actually, they don't carry them anymore. I wanted a 2nd one as a travel helmet. And after 4-5 months, I assume they'd not do a return? Most places do 30 days. Don't know what REI policy is.

But Bell didn't even hesitate, they said they are sending a prepaid label to me today and they'll replace it, no receipt needed.

But still, not sure what to think of the whole MIPS thing now. I hope this was just a rare occurence. One area I don't want to mess around with is my helmet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by curtlo-dork View Post
    I was just there actually, they don't carry them anymore. I wanted a 2nd one as a travel helmet. And after 4-5 months, I assume they'd not do a return? Most places do 30 days. Don't know what REI policy is.

But Bell didn't even hesitate, they said they are sending a prepaid label to me today and they'll replace it, no receipt needed.
    REI still has a one year for basically any reason return policy (used to be lifetime, but people were abusing it I guess). However, I've had really good luck with Bell helmet customer service before, too, wherever I bought the helmet from.

Now if anybody can tell me how to keep the back of the neck pads in the Bell Sanction FF helmets, I would be 100% happy with Bell. I think I am going to try hot glue since it's not on an area with styrofoam, etc. I want to buy my kids nicer FF helmets with MIPS, etc, but my boys are just too rough with them to spend hundreds on a helmet.

mtbr member
    REI related... I had a Giro Montero MIPS whose brow pad began to delaminate after a few rides (I bought it from REI in April). REI exchanged it, no problem. If they no longer carried it, I could could have got a different helmet (but pay the difference). I think your issue is more serious and there should be not problem with a return.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I got a return label from Bell today. Turns out I'm shipping it to a city just a few hours south of me. Didn't know they had a presence in IL. I was at the REI last week and they were wiped out of any helmets that I liked. So I'm cool with just sending it back. Figured maybe even it's better Bell see the helmet first hand. I have a backup to wear in the meantime. I didn't even consider taking it back to REI 4 months on. But I should have asked at least while I was there, had I known it happened.