Mid top or high-top MTB shoes?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm Mid top or high-top MTB shoes?

Title sums it up, have not checked into it yet but anyone using a mid or high-top MTB shoe. I have been wearing Lake MX165 for years now. Lately I have been having a sore ankle after some rides. Current shoes don't look worn out but I have not had ankle issues in the past. My thinking is maybe a little more support might help alleviate some soreness.
    Mayo Clinic Phx. Kidney TX 06-20-2019

wretch
    Shimano and Specialized have some good high top SPD shoes, that what I assume your looking for. If platform. . . standard prescription is a 5.10 Mid.

Are you sure the ankle soreness is from the shoes? I'm not really in the know, but it could be a combination of positioning problems, feet, knees, seat, etc. . . ?

mtbr member
    I've been fitted on this bike in the past because of a knee issue. I feel comfortable on the bike. Left ankle just seems to get sore after harder rides (for me) like Javelina or 1a. I'm an over weight rider so I'm sure I add some extra stress when pounding down a rocky trial.

wretch
    I've got a friend who's my size (i'm 6'3" 225 ish) who rides harder than anyone I've met and he rocks these guys. . . he's got a bad ankle and the support helps. What pedals are you using? Maybe more of a platform clipless like the Time Z's could give you added support?

also this:

Not sure if you've tried that route.

mtbr member
    I have the 661 Ankle Supports, they work very well if you need extra bracing.

I use high top shoes to protect my ankles from my crankarms/frame.
    Sure enough, Saturday while shuttling, I was wearing my vans and smacked the inside of my ankle hard.

This probably didn't help any, did it...
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    I think he was born around the time of the Chernobyl fallout which would explain a lot.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    If it's overall joint soreness, I doubt it has anything to do w/ the shoes. That said, I did recently switch from Lakes to mid-top Shimano AM30 shoes. My problem was I was hitting my inner ankle bones on the crank arms. The Shimano shoes fixed that and they fit my feet better than the Lake shoes did.

mtbr member
    The 661 supports still fit nicely in your MTB shoe?

Kavu, what model helmet did you have the day you dropped off the van. It had a detachable face guard. That look like the ticket between a full face helmet and XC model.

wretch
    Quote Originally Posted by trb2929

Kavu, what model helmet did you have the day you dropped off the van. It had a detachable face guard. That look like the ticket between a full face helmet and XC model.
    I'm sure the 661 is meant to. . . it's a MTB brace. Maybe in a hightop SPD shoe it may be different. Not sure.

mtbr member

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=17687

You can only order them through that website, as they are not available in the US.
    Its pretty good, although it definitely doesn't fit as well as a Giro or Bell.

Not sure about the face guard, or how well it would protect you in a crash.

Yeah, the 661's fit fine in both my SPD shoes and my 5.10's. They work really well, even saved me from snapping my ankle when I crashed on a drop.

My 5.10's and SPD shoes are both high tops.
    I think he was born around the time of the Chernobyl fallout which would explain a lot.

mtbr member
    Web site states no interference in fit. So this may be something to look at.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    TRB...for XC I prefer low-top (Answer Speeders) so I can move a little more freely but when I DH I wear these which rise on the inside to protect against crank hits and are really firm.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

wretch
    AZ I rock those same SPD's love em. The inside bash is nice, 5.10 is finally making an ankle pad as well.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=azdog] but when I DH [QUOTE]

I thought you retired.

parenting for gnarness
    if you are getting soreness, as opposed to ankle bashes, you might want to strengthen rather than support via high tops. Ultimately high tops weaken your ankles. In something like bball where you're putting potentially big twists on your ankle, they make sense. But for something that per se is not stressful to your ankle, I think it'd be a bad long term solution.

I played ultimate for 20 years in low-top soccer cleats, and had almost no ankle injuries ever even with 10 years playing in the crap they call turf out here. My ankles got strong and stayed strong.

You don't typically hear about ankle fatigue in biking. Your soreness might be due to other factors, obviously your weight and how much time you're on your feet. Worth thinking about how much time you spend walking on uneven terrain too especially in hard-soled biking shoes, cause now you are doing an ankle-stressing activity as part of your rides, possibly mixing up the root cause of your soreness (if that makes any sense...). In that case then yes high-tops might be a good solution.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    [QUOTE=KavuRider][QUOTE=azdog] but when I DH

I thought you retired.
    I prefer cross-training. Damnit how long do ribs take to heal!!!! They still hurt! Truckee, glad you're digging those SPD's too!
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

Fly High!
    [QUOTE=azdog][QUOTE=KavuRider]
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog
    but when I DH

I prefer cross-training. Damnit how long do ribs take to heal!!!! They still hurt! Truckee, glad you're digging those SPD's too!
    Ya tell me about it! I stuck my 30's into my chest this weekend and it HURTS!
    "Its like Church to me, Like Church is, what it is for other people"

mtbr member
    It seems sore when I have more of a dh run. Maybe I'm just tensing up more. I never feel my suspension bottoming out so don't think it is impact related. I use Time ATAC pedals which I think are great. But maybe I need a clip less platform for more foot area support. I did order the 661 brace and will try that first. Also agree that hitting the gym and trying to strengthen the ankle muscles could help.

sixsixtysix
    [QUOTE=azdog][QUOTE=KavuRider]
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog
    but when I DH

Damnit how long do ribs take to heal!!!!
    When I broke 4 ribs, it was about 7-8 months.

parenting for gnarness
    It seems sore when I have more of a dh run. Maybe I'm just tensing up more. I never feel my suspension bottoming out so don't think it is impact related. I use Time ATAC pedals which I think are great. But maybe I need a clip less platform for more foot area support. I did order the 661 brace and will try that first. Also agree that hitting the gym and trying to strengthen the ankle muscles could help.
    i run those same peddles on my 6inch bike and tech rides, and my ankles and feet are not an issue. I guess its possible that like you said you are kinda yanking on your clips with your toes pointed downward and straining the ankle, running flats you would notice that posture right away cause you would come off the pedals. I cant see ankle strain if your feet are in a flat position on the pedals...maybe try to think about it on your next ride? As always, chronic soreness leads to ongoing chronic soreness in any part of your body - ice, ibu, heat and rest to ease the swelling and break the cycle.

you can't go wrong with strengthening problem areas, imo. good luck.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

wretch
    simple one is a theraband (green or red). Sit down with said leg outstretched. Wrap band around foot and hold both ends back in your hand. Move it 30 times forward, then 30 back, 30 left, 30 right. You may need a friend to hold it for the side to side resistance, and the back, but there are ways around. I can give you more specific strengthening if ya want (PT/Trainer/Strength Conditioning significant other).

If it's on the downs specifically, try unweighting the bike when your going over the chunk.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=sixsixtysix][QUOTE=azdog]
    Quote Originally Posted by KavuRider

When I broke 4 ribs, it was about 7-8 months.
    But he also has a bruised va-j-j as well...

Members who have read this thread: 3