Mega-Bubba-Clyde Gloves and seatpost clamp- Mtbr.com

Aug 2005

New question here. Mega-Bubba-Clyde Gloves and seatpost clamp

I'm 6'0" and about 390 with big ol' meathooks for hands. Very meaty palms. I'd like some good riding gloves, but no place local sells anything nearly big enough and I hate buying things site unseen when they are going to have to fit my body.

So, I turn to the Clyde collective...

I had been assuming fingerless type gloves since that's what I grew up thinking of cycling gloves as (and finger length doesn't present a problem then), but I'm open to any suggestion. As long as they are BIG. XXL if very stretchy or XXXL would likely be the size based on weight training and work gloves I own. I want something that is very cool (by that, I meant breathes well, but bonus points will be given for flair), but that will protect my palms if/when I take that dive.

What would you guys (& gals if there are any with or with men who have hands like mine) suggest and where should I order them from?

I'd also like to know what the heavier among you (us?) uses for seatpost clamps. I've got a 2005 Norco Manik with stock seatpost (Truvativ) and clamp (unknown, no markings but a machined out silver ring around the black clamp). I'm paranoid about the seat taking a dive on me under my weight and I have the post set pretty long because I have short, stout legs and so I have to have a small frame for standover safety (1 child so far, but like to keep my options open)... meaning I would have a long way to drop before the seat bottomed out (OUCH!). I've heard Salsa mentioned here. Is theirs the absolute strongest clamping mofo out there or should I look at others as well?

May 2005
    dont really know on the seatpost but im guessing thomson is some of the strongest stuff out there.

on the gloves, ive got pretty good sized hands as well and found a pair of fox mojaves in xxl. they fit pretty good. an option you might look at is motocross gloves. ive got a friend who wears a pair of full fingered motoX gloves for riding. might be easier to find big motoX gloves.

sorry saw just now you were asking about the clamp for the seatpost. im not sure on this either, i jus tighten my stock one up good untill it takes a lot of strength to close it and ride.

Probably drunk right now

Some thoughts....

Quote Originally Posted by Wadely
    I'm 6'0" and about 390 with big ol' meathooks for hands. Very meaty palms. I'd like some good riding gloves, but no place local sells anything nearly big enough and I hate buying things site unseen when they are going to have to fit my body.

So, I turn to the Clyde collective...

I had been assuming fingerless type gloves since that's what I grew up thinking of cycling gloves as (and finger length doesn't present a problem then), but I'm open to any suggestion. As long as they are BIG. XXL if very stretchy or XXXL would likely be the size based on weight training and work gloves I own. I want something that is very cool (by that, I meant breathes well, but bonus points will be given for flair), but that will protect my palms if/when I take that dive.

What would you guys (& gals if there are any with or with men who have hands like mine) suggest and where should I order them from?

I'd also like to know what the heavier among you (us?) uses for seatpost clamps. I've got a 2005 Norco Manik with stock seatpost (Truvativ) and clamp (unknown, no markings but a machined out silver ring around the black clamp). I'm paranoid about the seat taking a dive on me under my weight and I have the post set pretty long because I have short, stout legs and so I have to have a small frame for standover safety (1 child so far, but like to keep my options open)... meaning I would have a long way to drop before the seat bottomed out (OUCH!). I've heard Salsa mentioned here. Is theirs the absolute strongest clamping mofo out there or should I look at others as well?
    You should be fine on your stock clamp. If you're really worried about it, you could get a Salsa seatpost clamp and be done with it.

Gloves: This one is easy. Go down to Sears or your local auto parts store and get some $19 "Mechanics" gloves. They're full fingered but they are some of the best gloves for mountain biking that I've found. They're cheap, they function really well and they are available everywhere.

Ken

Aug 2005

Mechs vote two

I've been riding with the mechanics gloves for two years now. They're somewhat air permeable, quite comfortable, any auto parts store carries them/or something similar, and best of all - they're cheap! I actually like the originals because they are cooler than some of the newer/more padded models. I won't ride in anything else now, and feel nekked without 'em! I also wear mechanics when riding my GSXR 1000. I just love the feel of them.

May 2005

One more for Mechanics...

I've got a pair for when it gets a little cooler, feel just like bike gloves. You can get knockoffs for even cheaper--basically the same thing, they just don't say Mechanics on them.

Only thing I don't like is they don't have any terry cloth on them for sweat/snot/whatever. Oh well, no biggie.

mtbr Buckeye...in Austin
    More for Mechanix !

The full finger gloves have the same thicker padding of the 1/2 finger gel lites from Specialized.

I think the padding in the full finger gel lites SUCK and was quite happy to find mechanix.

Lowes, Autoparts store, sears, etc.

And about $10-15 cheaper than bike gloves.

Oct 2005

thick sausages

Hows it going? Don't about any of your seat wo's, but go to you local dirt bike shop. They have more of a selection on hand to try on. and if they don't, ask them who does.

jamie

Over the Hill
    The Salsa seat post clamp is good, it is a quick release but you need a allen wrench to adjust it. My vote is a Hope clamp it has a lever and a knob for adjustment.

mtbr member
    As for seat post, I'm still happy with what was stock on my Kona Hoss... For the gloves, I've found that a pair of Rhinoback QtrBack XXL wake boarding gloves actually work best for me. I've been through several other manufacturers pairs, with effects ranging from tingling fingers to numb palms to all manner of numbness. The Rhino's have been very good; not a single bit of numbness at all!

Members who have read this thread: 0