Mavic Crossmax vs Alpine XL- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Mavic Crossmax vs Alpine XL

Just ordered a pair if Alpine XL, but of course second guessing and wondering if I should have gotten the Crossmax.

Anyone have experience with both? Sounds like the Crossmax is stiffer, more breathable and a bit more protection.

I'm looking for a shoe that will pedal well and be walkable. I really don't want a flexible shoe for pedaling. I have to assume both are much more walkable than my Sidi Dominators.

Also..how is the fit on these? I just ordered my street shoe size.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    i have a pair of alpine xl's and i really like them (except i wish they were anotehr color other than white). i find them to be comfortable when walking.

i purchased 10.5 and i am normally a spot on 10 in Nike shoes. 10.5 is ok, but an 11 might have been perfect.

if it helps with your decision i use these shoes on flat pedal (RF Atlas).

I have not tried the Crossmax, so I am unable to offer any comparasion.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Great. Thanks. Alpines showed up last night. I ordered my street shoe. Wondering if a 1/2 size up would be been more roomy. A bit narrow, but think they will work. I will not be using flats which is my concern. I got the shimano trail clipless pedal so hoping that will give me more support.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Come back and let me know your thoughts on these shoes

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I actually also ordered a pair of crossmax just as a sanity check against the Alpines.

I'll chime in with what I decide and send in some details after a few rides.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Checking back in on this, but I have not ridden the shoes. Wearing them around the office to see if I will keep them.

The alpine XLs are more comfortable but significantly more flexible. Not sure they would be the ideal pedaling shoe as I like stiffer shoes. I did get a trail SPD pedal and that may take up some of the slack, but not interested in finding out. The Alpines have more lacing and by that, I mean the Alpines have 4 sets of eyelets vs the 3 on the Crossmax. This makes the Alpine feel a bit more snug than the crossmax and undoubtedly better locks in the heel.

Alpine
    Mavic Crossmax vs Alpine XL-img_0169.jpg

CrossMax
    Mavic Crossmax vs Alpine XL-img_0170.jpg

Also the pull tab & plastic adjuster on the Alpine slips into a pouch at the top of the tongue. Nice. The crossmax pull tab needs to be stuffed under the dust flap that covers the laces. The Alpine design is better. The little plastic adjuster kinda has nowhere to go on the crossmax and backs a bump under the dust flap.

The Crossmax (In black) is the better looking shoe and much stiffer. It still feels like a bike shoe. The Alpine...less so. More like a hiking shoe. The Crossmax should pedal better. The outsole seems grippy enough to compensate when the shoe is too stiff interns of navigating rocks. I think between the grippy outsole and its apparent flex it would still be world's better than my Sidi for desert rock riding. The insole, like my Sidi, sucks. Very thin and uncomfortable despite it being something they market as being good.

The ratchet strap is nicer on the Crossmax than the velcro strap on the alpine.

I'm keeping the Crossmax

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Would love to here from some more people re:sizing on the crossmax XL. Conflicting reports around the web on whether they run big or small. I've been running a 44 giro terraduro which I have generally loved- That is when they stay together- the vibrant dole while awesome and grippy just keeps separating from the base of the shoe, on my fourth pair- originals and three warranties, Giro (Bell) customer service has been amazing but it feels like enough is enough already.

Generally like my road shoes borderline uncomfortably snug, and my mtb shoes a bit bigger but on the snug side of things- come from a hockey and skiing background so my life has been trying to get into the smallest possible of everything.