mallet 1's and shoes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

mallet 1's and shoes

I have just bought a set of mallet 1's and use them with my shimano shoes just fine, but I want to ride them as platforms too. My typical DVS skate shoe/ platform is not working too well with these. What are a good pair of shoes that would work reasonably well with the mallet 1's? (using them as platforms)

GAME ON!
    probably 5.10s but every shoe i used sucked.

Capricious youth...
    Mallets aren't designed to be used as a clipless OR platform pedal. They are designed to be used as a clipless AND platform pedal.

What I mean by that is that Mallets are great for FR and DH because they have a platform, so if by some fluke you can't snap your foot back into the pedal, you still have a large platform to stand on and finish your run.

The eggbeater engagement portion of the Mallet isn't going to allow you to use the pedal as a regular platform pedal. Sorry, my man.
    Meh.

Jackalope Hunter
    Prettym1k3 is right. I've ridden Mallets for 5+ years and have tried them with a variety of non-clipless shoes. In the past, the old Mallets (with traction plates) were terrible when not clipped in. No grip whatsoever... 5-10s with new Mallets (with traction pins) grip pretty well but its still not the same as riding with a true platform pedal. You can definitely always feel the eggbeater sticking up and after a while it gets pretty uncomfortable. I know guys that do it from time to time but its never an ideal situation.
    "That which does not kill you makes you stronger"

Rollin' a fatty
    ^+1, not a comfortable thing to do and little to no grip even with 5.10s

meow meow
    there is always gonna be a weird bump unless you like take a chunk out of the sole to fit over the eggbeater. not really sure how that would work, kinda like being clipped in because your feet can only be in one position but a little more freedom to dab or whatever i guess.

Jackalope Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    there is always gonna be a weird bump unless you like take a chunk out of the sole to fit over the eggbeater. not really sure how that would work, kinda like being clipped in because your feet can only be in one position but a little more freedom to dab or whatever i guess.
    lol at that point why not just wear a clipless shoe???
    "That which does not kill you makes you stronger"

meow meow
    lol idk. just thinking out loud.

Members who have read this thread: 0