Magicshine on helmet, P7 on bars, enough?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Magicshine on helmet, P7 on bars, enough?

I know a LOT of people seem to just say to get 2 Magicshines, but I don't want to dump $85X2 just for a bicycle application. After doing a fair amount of research it looks like a variation of the P7 900 lum is another great way to go. Personally, I feel that you HAVE to have 2 lights, one on the helmet (to see where you eyes/head are looking) and another where your bike/bars are pointed. I also do a fair amount of camping and hiking and would beable to use the P7 like a normal flashlight in that situation as well, so it seems like a good option to go MS on the helmet and invest a little more and get P7 for bars (I am also thinking of ordering a couple extra bar mounts, as I have a few other LED flashlights at home, so if I feel like I need even more light, I can get it, but will I NEED more or will those 2 be enough?). (the negative with the P7 seems to be run time, but I don't ride at night more than 1 hr, so it would seem fine for that).

Thoughts?

btw, what is everyone using to mount the MS on their helmet?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Geomangear sells a helmet mount for the magicshine. It works well but it has a few deficiencies in the design, there's a thread for that of course.

I was using a P7 flood on the bars with a smaller and lighter R2 spot on the helmet for a long time. Worked well but run time was an issue. Deal Extreme sells a few bar mounts. This one works particularly well for any flashlight that uses 18650 batteries.

Now I have a Magicshine on the helmet and run a P7 on the bars. I usually leave the P7 off or on low. I find that I don't really need it. It's there mainly for redundancy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodH
    I know a LOT of people seem to just say to get 2 Magicshines, but I don't want to dump $85X2 just for a bicycle application. After doing a fair amount of research it looks like a variation of the P7 900 lum is another great way to go. Personally, I feel that you HAVE to have 2 lights, one on the helmet (to see where you eyes/head are looking) and another where your bike/bars are pointed. I also do a fair amount of camping and hiking and would beable to use the P7 like a normal flashlight in that situation as well, so it seems like a good option to go MS on the helmet and invest a little more and get P7 for bars (I am also thinking of ordering a couple extra bar mounts, as I have a few other LED flashlights at home, so if I feel like I need even more light, I can get it, but will I NEED more or will those 2 be enough?). (the negative with the P7 seems to be run time, but I don't ride at night more than 1 hr, so it would seem fine for that).

Thoughts?

btw, what is everyone using to mount the MS on their helmet?
    From what I've seen of the Magic Shine beam photos, it has a very bright hot spot that should make an excellent helmet light. It comes with the helmet mount which most people seem to be satisfied with. In answer to your post question...Yes, the MS+P-7 torch combo will be enough. I recommend one of the 5-mode torches as the mid-mode ( which can extend run time ) is quite usable on the bars when used with an additional helmet lamp. Later you may choose to buy another MS for the bars and you will still have the P-7 to use as super-boost if you wish. Regardless, as you already mentioned a torch has many uses so it will not be a waste of money.

Been about four years since I last went camping. Back then I was still using halogen lights for my bike. For camp use I had one of those entry level single led lights. It worked fine but only for up close stuff. Having a nice P-7 torch ( mult-mode ) will really enhance your night time camping experience. I should also mention that if you plan on camping regularly it would be a good idea to get yourself a cheap cigarette lighter style plug-in voltage inverter. That way you can charge all your rechargeable batteries in your car if you have no access to electricity. I bought one from RadioShack a while back for about $20. D/X might be even cheaper if they have them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    OK,

So I ordered the Magicshine, the P7 and also Cree P4 http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.26800

Thats 2 lights for the bars and the MS for the helmet. I also ordered an extra handlebar mount in case I want to use another small LED flashlight I have at home.

Thanks for the help guys.

So how long does an order from dealextreme take to ship to Calif?

mtbr member
    OK,

So I ordered the Magicshine, the P7 and also Cree P4 http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.26800

Thats 2 lights for the bars and the MS for the helmet. I also ordered an extra handlebar mount in case I want to use another small LED flashlight I have at home.

If everything is in stock, about two weeks. If you ordered batteries or if one item is backordered about as long as 4 weeks. Of course the Christmas rush is on so it might be longer. I hope not too long because I have stuff on order too. If you didn't order the 18650 batteries and charger with your order ( for the P-7 ) you'll need to place another order. Not to worry, batteries are about $8 for 2 and the charger is about $8. Another option for batteries and charger are Kaidomain. Stuff ordered from them usually takes a couple weeks ( air mail ) but cost a couple more $bills. Lastly, if no one told you before protected batteries ( Li-ion ) are the way to go.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do
    If everything is in stock, about two weeks. If you ordered batteries or if one item is backordered about as long as 4 weeks. Of course the Christmas rush is on so it might be longer. I hope not too long because I have stuff on order too. If you didn't order the 18650 batteries and charger with your order ( for the P-7 ) you'll need to place another order. Not to worry, batteries are about $8 for 2 and the charger is about $8. Another option for batteries and charger are Kaidomain. Stuff ordered from them usually takes a couple weeks ( air mail ) but cost a couple more $bills. Lastly, if no one told you before protected batteries ( Li-ion ) are the way to go.
    oh, no. I have to use a certain battery with the P7? AA or AAA don't work?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    We don't know. You haven't told us which P7 flashlight you ordered. Most of them use an 18650 battery.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I didn't realize there was so many,

This one:

http://dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.22567

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Rod, you need a 18650 battery, and you need a charger for that battery. I use these batteries and this charger.

By the way, although the sku#8274 mount mentioned above is ok, it only fits small diameter bars unless you rig it with a zip tie to fit oversized bars. Plus it can only be used on bars.
    This mount is better because it fits any size bars, and it can be used on some helmets (depending on the vents on the helmet).

Also, good choice on the zooming flood-to-throw flashlight, they are VERY handy. I use one on my bars and a Magicshine on my helmet. Plus they are just a great flashlight when not being used for biking.

mtbr member
    oh, no. I have to use a certain battery with the P7? AA or AAA don't work?
    I'm afraid so. The good part is that 18650's are Li-ion rechargeable batteries and should last a long time. The bad part is that they are usually only available through mail order. The cheapest place to buy them is D/X as I said before ( and shipping is free ) About $16 to $25 for 2 X 18650 batteries and one charger. In a pinch I suppose you could order something from BatterySpace > http://www.batteryspace.com/18650ser...apankorea.aspx ... which is just around the corner from where you live. Since BatterySpace is in Ca. you should have in a couple days but you will pay twice the cost plus shipping. Better to get it from D/X or Kaidomain for the cheapest cost and free shipping.

I have a feeling you should of asked a couple more questions before you ordered. People here are always happy to give recommendations.

mtbr member
    OK,

Well I placed an order on the 20th October and the Lights only shipped this week (4th Dec) so don't hold your breath. Some other stuff on the same order took 11 day to send. You might be lucky, the lights maybe in stock....

mtbr member
    How long do you think those 2 batteries will power that light? This seems like a great price.
    That velcro strap looks sweet also.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by need4gforce
    How long do you think those 2 batteries will power that light? This seems like a great price.
    That velcro strap looks sweet also.

Each battery will last about an hour. So if you swap out batteries mid-ride, you can ride for about two hours.

And for those that want to mount the light on their helmet, but their vents run the wrong way for the rubber/velcro mount linked above, there is this one.

Members who have read this thread: 0